Last Half Of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Will they play again in 2021?

I'm going to include players who played yesterday but would be considered possibly on the fringe of selection, and/or vulnerable of losing their spot in the side.
  • Dominic Bedendo (only player yet to play)
  • Louis Butler
  • Ben Cavarra
  • Hayden Crozier
  • Zaine Cordy
  • Ryan Gardner
  • Mitch Hannan
  • Will Hayes
  • Jason Johannisen
  • Lin Jong
  • Alex Keath
  • Buku Khamis
  • Patrick Lipinski
  • Stef Martin
  • Lachie McNeil
  • Ed Richards
  • Josh Schache
  • Anthony Scott
  • Roarke Smith
  • Jordon Sweet
  • Adam Treloar
  • Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
  • Laitham Vandermeer
  • Mitch Wallis
  • Rhylee West
  • Easton Wood
  • Lewis Young
I haven't included the following players who I consider to be automatic selections and no risk at losing their spot based on form / known ability:

Bont, Bruce, Dale, Daniel, Dunkley, Duryea, English, Hunter, Liberatore, Macrae, Naughton, Smith, Weightman, Williams.

The only other player I haven't included is McLean - the only confirmed player who won't take any further part in 2021.

If we look at the 14 automatic selections I've listed above, and add in Keath and Treloar who are obviously well and truly entrenched in our best side when fit, that becomes 16. Trying to fit the rest into the final 6/7 spots assuming we're all healthy is a mighty challenge that no doubt gives our coaches nightmares.

Will they play again in 2021?

I'm going to include players who played yesterday but would be considered possibly on the fringe of selection, and/or vulnerable of losing their spot in the side.
  • Dominic Bedendo (only player yet to play)
  • Louis Butler
  • Ben Cavarra
  • Hayden Crozier
  • Zaine Cordy
  • Ryan Gardner
  • Mitch Hannan
  • Will Hayes
  • Jason Johannisen
  • Lin Jong
  • Alex Keath
  • Buku Khamis
  • Patrick Lipinski
  • Stef Martin
  • Lachie McNeil
  • Ed Richards
  • Josh Schache
  • Anthony Scott
  • Roarke Smith
  • Jordon Sweet
  • Adam Treloar
  • Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
  • Laitham Vandermeer
  • Mitch Wallis
  • Rhylee West
  • Easton Wood
  • Lewis Young
I haven't included the following players who I consider to be automatic selections and no risk at losing their spot based on form / known ability:

Bont, Bruce, Dale, Daniel, Dunkley, Duryea, English, Hunter, Liberatore, Macrae, Naughton, Smith, Weightman, Williams.

The only other player I haven't included is McLean - the only confirmed player who won't take any further part in 2021.

If we look at the 14 automatic selections I've listed above, and add in Keath and Treloar who are obviously well and truly entrenched in our best side when fit, that becomes 16. Trying to fit the rest into the final 6/7 spots assuming we're all healthy is a mighty challenge that no doubt gives our coaches nightmares.

My bolded players are the ones who I think will play at least one AFL game between now and the end of the season.

I reckon:
Bedendo gets a debut against Hawthorn, just so we can officially say the 2021 premiers used every single player on their list.
Wallis will be medical sub a few times (perhaps even in finals).
Stef Martin is cooked. Something is going on there and the club is keeping tight lipped about it.
McNeil and Vandermeer have left their runs too late to return to the side. It's hard to justify including them this late into the season when we have other players ready to instantly return to the side, such as Treloar, Richards, Duryea.

My bolded players are the ones who I think will play at least one AFL game between now and the end of the season.

I reckon:
Bedendo gets a debut against Hawthorn, just so we can officially say the 2021 premiers used every single player on their list.
Stef Martin is cooked. Something is going on there and the club is keeping tight lipped about it.
McNeil and Vandermeer have left their runs too late to return to the side. It's hard to justify including them this late into the season when we have other players ready to instantly return to the side, such as Treloar, Richards, Duryea.
I think VDM has a good chance to return. There is still a month until our first final.

My best side based on current form holding and assuming everybody fit except for McLean.

B. Wood Keath Daniel
HB. Dale Gardner Williams
C. B.Smith Dunkley Treloar
HF. JJ Naughton Hunter
F. Weightman Bruce English
Foll. Martin Bont Macrae
I. Duryea JUH Schache Libba
E. Cordy, Garcia, Vandermeer, Scott

This is based on current form, so for example presuming Schache continues with his current form down back. He could be a good player to have as we can swing him forward if necessary which may upset some teams and snare a couple of goals.

Apologies if I have missed anyone obvious. It’s a tough exercise.

My only worry with this team is that there is not enough forward line pressure, so maybe either JUH or Martin out for a pressure role player.

My best side based on current form holding and assuming everybody fit except for McLean.

B. Wood Keath Daniel
HB. Dale Gardner Williams
C. B.Smith Dunkley Treloar
HF. JJ Naughton Hunter
F. Weightman Bruce English
Foll. Martin Bont Macrae
I. Duryea JUH Schache Libba
E. Cordy, Garcia, Vandermeer, Scott

This is based on current form, so for example presuming Schache continues with his current form down back. He could be a good player to have as we can swing him forward if necessary which may upset some teams and snare a couple of goals.

Apologies if I have missed anyone obvious. It’s a tough exercise.

My only worry with this team is that there is not enough forward line pressure, so maybe either JUH or Martin out for a pressure role player.
As you have identified, I think the weakness is being too tall so I think one of Martin or JUH have to go.

Martin gets the nod for me, assuming he is fit. JUH to therefore make way for Garcia/Scott.

VDM was played as a pressure forward earlier in the season, but since Weightman has flourished I’d love to see him back on the wing. His form wasn’t crash hot in 2021 but late 2020 he was brilliant and played with a manic intensity.

VDM was played as a pressure forward earlier in the season, but since Weightman has flourished I’d love to see him back on the wing. His form wasn’t crash hot in 2021 but late 2020 he was brilliant and played with a manic intensity.
He'd be behind Treloar and Hunter for a spot on the wing. It's a good problem to have.

I reckon:
Assuming that the season plays out as scheduled, it's 5 weeks to the first final (3 rounds plus the prefinals bye then final). That's quite a bit of time for sidelined soldiers to get their fitness back up to speed. Would be good to get close to the best 22 playing the last 2 rounds, but even 1 round in round 23 might be enough.

Can't remember a year where we are going to have such selection headaches. I've gone with a Week one finals team as below (have assumed neither Martin nor Gardiner make it back in time). I have 18 locks (Bolded in black) and 4 in dispute(Bolded Blue with the underlined my preference). The 4 in dispute is very tough and most could be considered unlucky. A fit VDM with a couple of games under his belt is a lock IMO.

I think the team will be chosen with a view to dominating possession and scoreboard pressure with as many forward go to options as possible and the capacity to trap the ball in our Fwd50 for extended periods. And we'll back ourselves to repel enough incursions in our D50 to only need 2 talls and Wood as the main floating interceptor with Wiilliams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel slicing and dicing (by foot mainly) on the rebound to a midfield and wings reinvigorated with the pace of Treloar and VDM as well as the usual suspects of Bont, Smith, Macrae, Libba, Dunks and Hunter.

I think that Bevo's Tsunami theme will ring true by years end and we simply overwhelm the opposition with a flood of possession and more scoring options and avenues than you can shake a stick at.

B: Williams Keath Duryea

HB: Dale Schache Wood

C: Trelaor Bont Macrae

HF: Weightman Naughton Hunter

FF: JUH Bruce JJ

R: English Libba Dunkley

I/C: VDM Smith Daniel Garcia/Richards/Hannan/Scott/Cordy

As you have identified, I think the weakness is being too tall so I think one of Martin or JUH have to go.

Martin gets the nod for me, assuming he is fit. JUH to therefore make way for Garcia/Scott.

It might depend on the conditions on the day as well, and who we play.

If it’s a crisp 20 degrees and sunny with minimal wind, then we might go a bit taller.

We have some selection headaches which is a sign that we are a contender. It will be good problem to have. Although common sense tells me that there will be more injuries to come and not everyone will be available. So some selection decisions might be made for the match committee.

I reckon:
With regard to the above point, Hayes would also need to get a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not into ladder predictor contortions but on a quick glance it appears that we only need 1 win from our remaining three games to guarantee a top 4 spot and 2 wins to guarantee top 2.

Win all three and we are minor premiers.

We should get it done next week. I've got to say we are so lucky that because we are drawn against that exciting powerhouse team Essendon (8 wins from 19) we are now scheduled for a Friday night game. Just fancy! Those tragic minnows from the western suburbs get to play on a Friday night!

I'm not into ladder predictor contortions but on a quick glance it appears that we only need 1 win from our remaining three games to guarantee a top 4 spot and 2 wins to guarantee top 2.

Win all three and we are minor premiers.

We should get it done next week. I've got to say we are so lucky that because we are drawn against that exciting powerhouse team Essendon (8 wins from 19) we are now scheduled for a Friday night game. Just fancy! Those tragic minnows from the western suburbs get to play on a Friday night!

No longer Fri night. Will be Sunday.

I agree. I'd rather face anyone else. I'd even forfeit the Port game to keep Sydney out of the top four. Swans ball movement by foot is unstoppable. Horse has them playing a great system.

If we beat Port we play Swans.

If we lose to Port we play Cats/Dees.

That’s assuming all favourites win over the next two weeks.

If there's only one side in the top 4 we fear (whoever that is) I'd rather play them in the QF which at a pinch we could afford to lose. That way we get to play one of the other two sides that we don't fear (or even a 5th-8th side) in the PF, meaning we have a more likely progression through to the GF.

Yes, a QF loss could be problematical and we'd still have to win the SF in week 2, but if there's only one side we fear that shouldn't be a problem. And of course if we happen to win the QF we totally stamp our authority on the finals.

Imagine having some bye’s and getting a few key players back just before a great run through the finals to glory?

We will get back Duryea, Richards, Trelor, Martin, VDM, Keath, Gardner and maybe Crozier.

Could be

Williams Keath Duryea
Dale Schache/Gardner Wood/Richards

Hunter Macrae Daniel
Martin Bont Libba

VDM Naughton JJ
Weightman Bruce English

Int: Dunkley, Trelor, Smith, JUH
Sub: Richards/Garcia

Allow us to effectively play 6 top rated mids and relentlessly workover any opposition.

JUH gives a great tall rotation and allows Martin and he to stay fresh.

Hannan replaced by rotation of VDM, JUH and Bont.

Daniel has shown he can add to the mids but also drop back as lose in defence.

While getting all those players back sounds great in theory we shouldn't assume it's all to our advantage.

For a start some players take a while to hit peak form after a layoff (eg Dunkley).
Secondly the influx of say 5 or 6 players could upset balance and cohesion. The 22 we have now might not be our best 22 on paper but the coaching staff have got them all playing their roles and understanding each others' games. That understanding doesn't happen overnight. It's the champion team vs team of champions conundrum.

It would make me a bit nervous if we had several of Martin, Treloar, Gardner and VDM all coming back in for the QF or even for Rd 23. We won't have the luxury of giving them several weeks to settle in. It has to work straight away.

While getting all those players back sounds great in theory we shouldn't assume it's all to our advantage.

For a start some players take a while to hit peak form after a layoff (eg Dunkley).
Secondly the influx of say 5 or 6 players could upset balance and cohesion. The 22 we have now might not be our best 22 on paper but the coaching staff have got them all playing their roles and understanding each others' games. That understanding doesn't happen overnight. It's the champion team vs team of champions conundrum.

It would make me a bit nervous if we had several of Martin, Treloar, Gardner and VDM all coming back in for the QF or even for Rd 23. We won't have the luxury of giving them several weeks to settle in. It has to work straight away.
Worked fine in the first week of the 2016 finals

Worked fine in the first week of the 2016 finals
And it might work fine again in 2021. Let's hope so.

I'm just warning that there's no guarantee we'll instantly be better. We might even be worse for a game or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back