Last kick or touch out of bounds..it's coming

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL taking a softly softly approach to introducing the rule that the last team to kick it out of bounds regardless of intent gives away a free kick.

They are introducing it in every other format and will be in play during the JLT series I believe.

I feel I’m being groomed for the introduction of the rule which is a fait accompli

Not a huge fan, because there will be plenty of 50/50 decisions to come. Much like the deliberate out of bounds rule.

Don't mind it really...last kick or handball pretty straight forward.....free kick...last touch throw in. Doesnt happen that often and gets rid of the umpires "guess" about deliberate. Decreases congestion...

Don't mind it really...last kick or handball pretty straight forward.....free kick...last touch throw in. Doesnt happen that often and gets rid of the umpires "guess" about deliberate. Decreases congestion...

Disgusting. Can't wait for the exciting 2020 football where players stand around and Shephard the ball over the line.

Disgusting. Can't wait for the exciting 2020 football where players stand around and Shephard the ball over the line.

This. The rule will be stupid and gives too easy possession to the other team. Last quarter of a grand final, I don't want the game decided by whether a ball rolls out of bounds with a player shepherding it out.

The fast grab and play on before defence is set will also be a factor, like people used to do by getting quick kick outs from rushing behinds.

This. The rule will be stupid and gives too easy possession to the other team. Last quarter of a grand final, I don't want the game decided by whether a ball rolls out of bounds with a player shepherding it out.

The fast grab and play on before defence is set will also be a factor, like people used to do by getting quick kick outs from rushing behinds.

Like I've used as an example before, imagine last quarter of the GF this year 10 seconds on the clock and ablett wins a clearance, charges down the middle and Hawkins has found space in the square. The ball is just a little tall for him but he can almost reach it until his defender nudges him under the ball which takes a wicked right hand bounce and rolls towards the line which a player shepherds over the line while his opponent is unable to stop him because it would either be a push in the back or holding the man. What the * game is that? Then the AFL brings in a rule saying you have to try and get the ball or its also a free kick to counter the horrible rule they already brought in... cue the death of the best game ever.

Like I've used as an example before, imagine last quarter of the GF this year 10 seconds on the clock and ablett wins a clearance, charges down the middle and Hawkins has found space in the square. The ball is just a little tall for him but he can almost reach it until his defender nudges him under the ball which takes a wicked right hand bounce and rolls towards the line which a player shepherds over the line while his opponent is unable to stop him because it would either be a push in the back or holding the man. What the **** game is that? Then the AFL brings in a rule saying you have to try and get the ball or its also a free kick to counter the horrible rule they already brought in... cue the death of the best game ever.

Pretty much. No more tight pressure contests with the ball locked in the forward line. Just some end to end basketball garbage.

Real fans don't want to see endless high scoring games. They want good contests. They want to see the ball locked in while midfielders battle it out. That tension that one slip could end in a goal and change the game.

Pretty much. No more tight pressure contests with the ball locked in the forward line. Just some end to end basketball garbage.

Real fans don't want to see endless high scoring games. They want good contests. They want to see the ball locked in while midfielders battle it out. That tension that one slip could end in a goal and change the game.

I don't care if it's a low scoring game as long as it's quality. Too many goals where players break the zone and walk into an empty goal. Would much rather see a close game decided with a pack mark or a dirty snap from the boundary line.

But, what about those moments (as happens every time the ball goes out in soccer) when every player from either side within about 50 yards of the incident immediately puts up their hand. claiming it for their side. That's a good look.

That would be the stuff that’s thrown in, any 50/50 contest or scrap heaps, or shephered at all is a throw in and any other last touches are free kicks.

You think it’s tough but it ain’t, did it this way when we umpired Perth Colts intraclub and it was seamless tbh.

Only issue with this, is surely spoils are still throw ins. And just keep it to kicks and handballs

There is zero need for this rule. Ball goes out of bounds, then we have a ruling for it, i.e. Throw it back in.
Ball gets kicked out on the full, well we have a rule for that.
Ball is deliberately kicked or hand balled over the line, we have a rule for that too.
Do we need another rule?

The last touch rule is a joke; if it only applied between the arcs then it would be a little more palpable but it just doesn't work at all as it exists in the AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A FREE kick will be paid against the last player who touches the ball before it goes out of bounds in the NAB AFL Women's competition from next year.

The last-touch rule was one of three changes the AFL executive has approved.

The League advised all clubs on Wednesday that a free kick will be paid against a team where a kick or handball goes out of bounds without being touched by an opposition player.

However, no free kick will be awarded if the opposition player shepherds the ball across the boundary line where the football could have otherwise been touched.

Last-touch rule confirmed for AFLW in 2018

A FREE kick will be paid against the last player who touches the ball before it goes out of bounds in the NAB AFL Women's competition from next year.

The last-touch rule was one of three changes the AFL executive has approved.

The League advised all clubs on Wednesday that a free kick will be paid against a team where a kick or handball goes out of bounds without being touched by an opposition player.

However, no free kick will be awarded if the opposition player shepherds the ball across the boundary line where the football could have otherwise been touched.

Last-touch rule confirmed for AFLW in 2018

That's stupid and just leaves it open to more grey area.

One thing it would do is increase congestion. Its no longer the safe play to go wide or take a relieving kick up the line. Everyone can move towards the corridor, creating more numbers in a smaller area.

That is in addition to discouraging players to attack the ball. When it is near the line, why risk trying to take possession of an unpredictable bouncing ball if the ball came off an opponent.

But, what about those moments (as happens every time the ball goes out in soccer) when every player from either side within about 50 yards of the incident immediately puts up their hand. claiming it for their side. That's a good look.

As we have seen in AFLX that very rarely happens. For the umpires it's an objective decision. Who did it come off last? As opposed to umpires having to guess the intention of players pretending to fumble the ball over the line.

As we have seen in AFLX that very rarely happens. For the umpires it's an objective decision. Who did it come off last? As opposed to umpires having to guess the intention of players pretending to fumble the ball over the line.

Go watch another sport then, the ruck throw in is apart of AFL footy that makes it unique

There is zero need for this rule. Ball goes out of bounds, then we have a ruling for it, i.e. Throw it back in.
Ball gets kicked out on the full, well we have a rule for that.
Ball is deliberately kicked or hand balled over the line, we have a rule for that too.
Do we need another rule?

Agreed and with more players it will come off packs more and umps will have to guess... or worse, they will go to the video umpire !!!

The AFL seems to be killing stoppage players. Do we really want to see a team of Whitfield's, Scully's and Hartung's and miss out on Sammy Mitchell's???

Saw a contest where Melbourne kicked the ball inside 40, hawks defender nudged the Melbourne player under the flight and the shepherded the ball over the line. If that's what AFL becomes I'm done.
Likewise I'll just follow local footy and the Storm of that was to occur.
It's absolutely garbage rule and not at all necessary and changes the fabric of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back