Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last movie at the cinema - Star Wars: Force Awakens, imax on Xmas eve; it was greatm just haven't had a chance to see it again.

Then there was 4 movies on the plan trip to America last month - been busy not checking threads very often.
- Exit Through the Gift Shop; not bad
- True Story; interesting story, but not a great movie, felt it could have been better
- Maze Runner & Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials; I'm on a plane and didn't have to pay to see them. They were OK.

Saw The Hateful Eight last night at the Rivoli-saw the 70mm version which was really awesome.

Great cast, Kurt Russell's performance almost stole the show imo. Was a bit slow in parts, which I didn't mind. Was a true 'Tarantino' film, which was also fine by me, as I'm a huge fan of his. 8/10

Saw The Hateful Eight last night at the Rivoli-saw the 70mm version which was really awesome.

Great cast, Kurt Russell's performance almost stole the show imo. Was a bit slow in parts, which I didn't mind. Was a true 'Tarantino' film, which was also fine by me, as I'm a huge fan of his. 8/10

Question ... Samuel L... worthy of an Oscar nod? Seems Will Smith and wife are rather perturbed at the bias of the Academy

Question ... Samuel L... worthy of an Oscar nod? Seems Will Smith and wife are rather perturbed at the bias of the Academy
20160123_woc197.png

I'm a huge fan of his too but I think he needs some new ideas.

Was ok/average - boring imo. Gold Class was lovely tho as always. Even more lovely as the ticket was a xmas present.

I'm a huge fan of his too but I think he needs some new ideas.

Was ok/average - boring imo. Gold Class was lovely tho as always. Even more lovely as the ticket was a xmas present.
Yep, a mate thought it was 'typical Tarantino', and too similar to others-Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds...

Gold class is an excellent idea for long-ish movies. Reckon I might use my Christmas pressie Gold Class tickets to see The Revenant.
Spike Lee is boycotting the Oscars too I believe.

Not sure Samuel deserved a nomination for The Hateful Eight, reckon all the leads were terrific and gave even performances.

The actor who should've been nominated but wasn't imo was Idris Elba for his role in Beasts Of No Nation-he was outstanding in that.

Yep, a mate thought it was 'typical Tarantino', and too similar to others-Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds...

Gold class is an excellent idea for long-ish movies. Reckon I might use my Christmas pressie Gold Class tickets to see The Revenant.

Can he make one movie with using those ****ing chapters? Or without a bounty hunter story line? How about using some other actors other than Sam L J, Madsen, etc? Please? Having said that I don't mind them tho... MM was awesome in Kill Bill which is my all time fav.

Yeah it was great. Loved the soft comfy chairs at Crown- good they weren't leather imo. Much more comfy, as one point i was actually curled up and lying down across my seat, watching the film.

I hope you like the Revenant. As far as i can gather people either love it or hate it. I fell into the latter category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spike Lee is boycotting the Oscars too I believe.

Not sure Samuel deserved a nomination for The Hateful Eight, reckon all the leads were terrific and gave even performances.

The actor who should've been nominated but wasn't imo was Idris Elba for his role in Beasts Of No Nation-he was outstanding in that.

Black and not American... good luck with that

What does prove , less nominations...more wins... Why not break it down by religion as well. Higher winning for those of the jewish faith? Its opinion isn't it?

Probably a whole lotta things...mainly under representation of African-Americans in film and in particular leading roles.

Oscars are also skewed to the schmaltzy film these days, or as my friend calls them "Oscar pr0n".

Probably a whole lotta things...mainly under representation of African-Americans in film and in particular leading roles.

Oscars are also skewed to the schmaltzy film these days, or as my friend calls them "Oscar pr0n".

Totally agree with the last part. The Oscars are all about who (producers/studios) can run the best campaign come awards season rather than for the actual acting or quality of the movie.

I remember watching something a few years agree about the Oscars and the campaigning involved - when Gwenyth Paltrow won her Oscar, it was on the back of a multi, multi million dollar campaign from Harvey Weinstein. Consensus was that Blanchett in Elizabeth was the standout actress that year, but the studio didn't put the money into the campaign that Weinstein did.

What does prove , less nominations...more wins... Why not break it down by religion as well. Higher winning for those of the jewish faith? Its opinion isn't it?
No. It it states that black people are not underrepresented at the Oscars, when compared to the percentage of the general population who are black.

Totally agree with the last part. The Oscars are all about who (producers/studios) can run the best campaign come awards season rather than for the actual acting or quality of the movie.

I remember watching something a few years agree about the Oscars and the campaigning involved - when Gwenyth Paltrow won her Oscar, it was on the back of a multi, multi million dollar campaign from Harvey Weinstein. Consensus was that Blanchett in Elizabeth was the standout actress that year, but the studio didn't put the money into the campaign that Weinstein did.

Yeah, and usually it is crap like The Blindside, Beaches, etc that they make for such awards as well.

I actually came across an interesting podcast the other day where this was all discussed (studio campaigning and racism) with an African-American film critic. It is an hour but worth it:

Turbocat manboob you two may also like to listen to this as well...can always have it on in the background whilst on BF.:D

Saw The Danish Girl last night.

Was visually very beautiful, and the vulnerable performances by Eddie Redmayne (who played Lili, one of the first people to undergo gender reassignment surgery) and Alicia Vikander (Gerda, his empathetic wife) were fantastic.
Although it may have been a tad conventional, and didn't delve completely into Lili's despair (maybe trying to play a little "safe" for Oscar success?) it was a heartbreakingly solid movie.

Was visually very beautiful, and the vulnerable performances by Eddie Redmayne (who played Lili, one of the first people to undergo gender reassignment surgery) and Alicia Vikander (Gerda, his empathetic wife) were fantastic.
Although it may have been a tad conventional, and didn't delve completely into Lili's despair (maybe trying to play a little "safe" for Oscar success?) it was a heartbreakingly solid movie.
Nice summary. I felt similarly about the movie. :thumbsu:

Have read a few reviews suggesting Eddie Redmayne is more deserving of an Oscar for his portrayal of Lili than he was for playing Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything last year. Hot tip to win is Leonardo for his role in The Revenant though.

Yeah I want to see this. Has been tricky because my f.ooking local cinema wasn't showing it.

I logged in today and NOW they are showing it: Danish Girl, Spotlight and Carol (not Room unfortunately). Sorry I'm a lazy bastard don't want to have to go far to watch my films lol. Now I just gotta see all these before they get pulled.

Yeah I want to see this. Has been tricky because my f.ooking local cinema wasn't showing it.

I logged in today and NOW they are showing it: Danish Girl, Spotlight and Carol (not Room unfortunately). Sorry I'm a lazy bastard don't want to have to go far to watch my films lol. Now I just gotta see all these before they get pulled.
Same-I want to see Carol, Room, and Danish Girl (haven't heard of Spotlight, but will google)-it's so good when there's a few movies on I'm interested in. :thumbsu:

And lol, how far is too far for you? My local cinema is about 15min walk-it's the best, I never go to any other one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back