Last night proved that we don't need the Grand Final at the MCG anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

what you continue to not understand is that a rotated grand final cuts the chances of meeting a tenant team in a gf massively.

it makes neutral gfs much much more likely.
Exactly right, under a rotational system, how many of Hawthorn's 3-peat would have been on their home ground. Given that all were against different interstate clubs it may well have been that they may even have had to play one or even 2 of them on their opponent's home ground without their overwhelming home town crowd... now I'd like to see that!

Do you think that all supporters of all clubs should have a reasonable opportunity to witness a GF live regardless of their financial, health or any other reason? Or, do you think stuff them, as long as Vic based supporters arent inconvenienced?

Pray enlighten us how moving the Grand Final to a venue that holds 50,000 less spectators is going to improve the chances of anybody, anywhere being able to attend a Grand Final?

Over the course of the current MCG contract that's more than TWO MILLION less GF seats to share around.

You seem to think that Victorians can just wake up on Grand Final morning and decide to it would be fun to go to the footy.

Pray enlighten us how moving the Grand Final to a venue that holds 50,000 less spectators is going to improve the chances of anybody, anywhere being able to attend a Grand Final?

Over the course of the current MCG contract that's more than TWO MILLION less GF seats to share around.

You seem to think that Victorians can just wake up on Grand Final morning and decide to it would be fun to go to the footy.
the way it is now means that the makeup of every single grand final crowd is 80+ % victorian.

the soccer world cup could sell a couple of million tickets to each world cup final - yet that isnt reserved for the worlds biggest stadium - its moved around.

Exactly right, under a rotational system, how many of Hawthorn's 3-peat would have been on their home ground. Given that all were against different interstate clubs it may well have been that they may even have had to play one or even 2 of them on their opponent's home ground without their overwhelming home town crowd... now I'd like to see that!
If rotating fairly you have 10 in every 18 GF in Victoria, on average more than one every two years.

If you play a Hawthorn v Eagles GF at the GABBA, you nuffies would sook that only 8k Eagles members got tickets, and it is even further to travel to.

Rotating just shafts more fans more often.......WA fans wanting to cut off the nose to spite the face.

If rotating fairly you have 10 in every 18 GF in Victoria, on average more than one every two years.

If you play a Hawthorn v Eagles GF at the GABBA, you nuffies would sook that only 8k Eagles members got tickets, and it is even further to travel to.

Rotating just shafts more fans more often.......WA fans wanting to cut off the nose to spite the face.
if we played a hawthorn eagles game at the gabba its a neutral gf where at the g its not.

no problems here

Last edited:

The MCG gives 45,000 seats to the MCG and AFL Members' stands, whilst generally accepted and understood full membership equates to entitlement to a Grand Final ticket, technically it isn't something that's inherently guaranteed.

In a pure sense of tickets given to competing club members and corporate/sponsor tickets, you could actually fit more of them in other stadiums.

The MCG gives 45,000 seats to the MCG and AFL Members' stands, whilst generally accepted and understood full membership equates to entitlement to a Grand Final ticket, technically it isn't something that's inherently guaranteed.

In a pure sense of tickets given to competing club members and corporate/sponsor tickets, you could actually fit more of them in other stadiums.

Nice try.

the way it is now means that the makeup of every single grand final crowd is 80+ % victorian.

Not true.

MCC members take between 15-20,000 seats. A majority of MCC members are Victorians, but by no means all. Pretty reasonable really. It's their ground. And even after taking those seats there are STILL about 30,000 more seats available than any other ground in the country.

The two clubs represented get an equal split of 45K seats between the members and the Club allocation.

And every other method of purchasing a seat is equally open to anybody. No matter if they live in Melbourne or live on the moon.

Among the competing Clubs it is actually a disadvantage to be a supporter of one of the big Victorian Clubs. Chances of getting a ticket when your Club is in the GF are much lower, and also costs a shitload more to even get in the member lottery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My normal Saturday Grand Final (Day)

Wake up shag, shower and cook brekkie for missus
Turn the Tele on.
Tidy up BBQ and pump up footy
Mow lawns if not arsed to do it earlier
Go to bottlo and shops
Prepare snacks (including my famous prawn dip) with missus.
Sort out big screen and viewing area
12pm first few beers and people rock up
Discuss Norm Smith first goal kicker odds an put on a few nominals maybe run sweep etc
Watch pre match etc
Kick kids outside if they are mucking up
Pumped for first bounce
Snack and beers at quarter time
Kick to kick with kids at half time
Watch second half.
Watch post match
Social media banter and sledging if applicable to loser mates
Celebrate backing Norm Smith winner
BBQ - Celebrations etc.

Night time this year:

Get up and plumber calls in to do job in morning.
Run down to shops to get parts for him.
Help digging
Run young fella to a mates
Two sets of friends bale out as it will be to late for kids.
Dark and cold outside so no kick to kick.
Kids bored
Tired from getting jobs done an running around and big week at work
Wife and friends sitting at table yakking as some have early sports starts running around in the am.
Lost interest about 3 quarter time.
Did not back anything correctly.

Just saying, fk TV rights. AFL GF, its about the day, the build up and the experience for people who cant get to the ground. My first night time GF experience; 1 out 10.

The ticket allocation at the 100k MCG is as follows

34K for competing club members
5K for competing clubs to give to families, staff, sponsors etc

So ~ 40k for competing clubs and members

Then there is another ~ 40k for AFL commitments

An allocation to all the other clubs to give out to families, staff, sponsors etc

AFL members / medallion club. Noting that AFL members priority is given to those with club support (although this allocation dwindles each year)

Allocation for corporate packages, boxes, suites that licensed hospitality groups are allowed to sell to make big $$

Finally there is the 20K that goes to the MCC, of which again a large proportion end up going to club members who also happen to have MCC membership. The entire premise of the GF deal is that the MCC members actually pay for the upgrade of the stand, not the AFL or Vic Govt....

But forget that, it leaves 80k currently which are equally split between competing clubs and AFL allotment.

So if the game is held at a 50k venue instead of the 80k have a guess which allocation will be impacted the most

It won’t be the corporates who pay the big $$, the clubs would want their cut to reward players and staff etc., the competing clubs will demand their cut for families, staff, sponsors etc

It will be club members who would be shafted most....just to appease some noisy WA fans who can’t get over the fact that they can’t walk down to the GF like they did when they followed a WAFL team.

Not true.

MCC members take between 15-20,000 seats. A majority of MCC members are Victorians, but by no means all. Pretty reasonable really. It's their ground. And even after taking those seats there are STILL about 30,000 more seats available than any other ground in the country.

The two clubs represented get an equal split of 45K seats between the members and the Club allocation.

And every other method of purchasing a seat is equally open to anybody. No matter if they live in Melbourne or live on the moon.

Among the competing Clubs it is actually a disadvantage to be a supporter of one of the big Victorian Clubs. Chances of getting a ticket when your Club is in the GF are much lower, and also costs a shitload more to even get in the member lottery.
1) you have afl members and corporates adding to that tally.

2) read that last paragraph again slowly.

we are looking at between 3-5 k for a granny - 3 k if you are a member and can stay at friends - 5k if you arent.

i went to the hawthorn / geelong gf got a ticket no drama - cost me around $1200 and i got breakfast with dipper - he was hilarious.

the flight cost about $380 return from perth and the hotel a few hunge

we are looking at between 3-5 k for a granny - 3 k if you are a member and can stay at friends - 5k if you arent.

i went to the hawthorn / geelong gf got a ticket no drama - cost me around $1200 and i got breakfast with dipper - he was hilarious.

Anybody can be an AFL member. Cheap as chips too. Not restricted to Victorians.

Nor are corporate seats restricted to Victorians. Or packages, or luxury boxes. Everyone on earth or Mars can get one with a few clicks of a mouse.

So you went to a GF yourself? For $1200. Kind of screwed your own argument there.

Take Richmond. Good example at this time. Members pay $2,000 up front at the start of the season to get a place in the members GF lottery for 22,500 seats. IF they make it. Otherwise, they pay the same 2k for a place in a lottery for roughly 1,000 seats. Among 100,000 members.

But go ahead and keep telling us how hard done by you are in poor victimised WA.

Move the GF to your "state of the art" (LOL) boutique stadium where some "premium" seats have half the ground blocked out by concrete pillars and you'd be lucky if anybody gets a seat at all after the deep pocket brigade who pay the lions share of the gate take are finished.

Last edited:
Anybody can be an AFL member. Cheap as chips too. Not restricted to Victorians.

Nor are corporate seats restricted to Victorians. Or packages, or luxury boxes. Everyone on earth or Mars can get one with a few clicks of a mouse.

So you went to a GF yourself? For $1200. Kind of screwed your own argument there.

Take Richmond. Good example at this time. Members pay $2,000 up front at the start of the season to get a place in the members GF lottery for 22,500 seats. IF they make it. Otherwise, they pay the same 2k for a place in a lottery for roughly 1,000 seats. Among 100,000 members.

But go ahead and keep telling us how hard done by you are in poor victimised WA.

Move the GF to your "state of the art" (LOL) boutique stadium where some "premium" seats have half the ground blocked out by concrete pillars and you'd be lucky if anybody gets a seat at all after the deep pocket brigade who pay the lions share of the gate take are finished.
i havnt screwed my own argument you crumpet

i went to see a big vic team vs big vic team - flying - from wa for under 2k

it wasnt hard to get a ticket - and the final expense was around 1/2 what a non member would pay.

West Coast Eagles fans sooking AGAIN. Do they ever do anything else? :rolleyes:

Hawks would have won them all. In 2015, we played 2 of our finals in Perth.
In 2014, are you seriously suggesting we play a Grand Final at the SCG?
2014 & 2015 were won by massive margins, would have beaten Sydney and Eagles anywhere on those days.
In 2013, Hawks were minor premiers.

How did West Coast go this year against Collingwood with that HUGE advantage of playing at home? Not too good.

GF tickets are 450-150 if you are a member entitled to a ticket.

So you claiming flights cost $3k?

Yep when you have 100k club members like Richmond do, the 80% who miss out via club allocation try to scramble and pay the 1000-1500 for a hospitality package.

Your ‘solution’ is to reduce the number of cost price tickets available to club members (which would also limit the number of premium H&A memberships that all clubs can sell that have guaranteed GF access, another revenue hit to ALL clubs).

Bit of a news flash, 65% of club members are from Victoria anyway...you not only want to reduce their access to a GF ticket, but to also cop this ‘3k airfare’ just because you do.

You either play the game at the best stadium available that meets the needs of the majority of the stakeholders, the G, or you flip it on its head and let a team host it.

Great teams win finals, losers look for excuses and things to blame when ultimately they just weren’t good enough on the day.

Last edited:

I agree with the 10 out of 18 at the G, but disagree with the rest because you focus on the fact that I'm arguing as an Eagle supporter and that is simply not true. My argument is on behalf of ALL supporters (of ALL clubs) that don't live in Melbourne. I simply believe that every supporter of every team, regardless of where they live, regardless of their personal circumstances, should have an opportunity to witness A GF live, NOT necessarily to see THEIR team in the GF. The present system of GFs only at the G, denies many this opportunity.
I've seen 4 GFs so I've had my opportunity, many others haven't. Rotating still won't guarantee everyone will get to see one at some point, but it will increase the possibility whereas currently it is only those that can afford the travel costs and those that are healthy enough to travel that will ever get to see one. It isn't about which club you support, it's about fairness and opportunity for all followers and supporters of Australian Rules Football.
If I take the scenario you quoted of Eagles v Hawks at the Gabba, the AFL should ensure that any unsold allocations to non participating clubs are made available to Queenslanders first. Likewise if it was in SA, NSW or WA, this would then make the chance of attending a GF available to more supporters.

Not worth worrying about. Next year's grand final will be in San Francisco.

2_17CaWC16MW0097.jpg

I agree with the 10 out of 18 at the G, but disagree with the rest because you focus on the fact that I'm arguing as an Eagle supporter and that is simply not true. My argument is on behalf of ALL supporters (of ALL clubs) that don't live in Melbourne. I simply believe that every supporter of every team, regardless of where they live, regardless of their personal circumstances, should have an opportunity to witness A GF live, NOT necessarily to see THEIR team in the GF. The present system of GFs only at the G, denies many this opportunity.
I've seen 4 GFs so I've had my opportunity, many others haven't. Rotating still won't guarantee everyone will get to see one at some point, but it will increase the possibility whereas currently it is only those that can afford the travel costs and those that are healthy enough to travel that will ever get to see one. It isn't about which club you support, it's about fairness and opportunity for all followers and supporters of Australian Rules Football.
If I take the scenario you quoted of Eagles v Hawks at the Gabba, the AFL should ensure that any unsold allocations to non participating clubs are made available to Queenslanders first. Likewise if it was in SA, NSW or WA, this would then make the chance of attending a GF available to more supporters.

You think having a GF at a ground that holds 30-40K would somehow improve access?

How do you see that working given that there would be practically no seats left after AFL/Corporates get their share.

IMHO, the most important thing is getting as many supporters of the two competing clubs in as possible.

Imagine being a Dogs fan who was waiting since the 1950s to see a GF, but instead of hosting it at the G where 100k can attend, it was at the GABBA and just 40k could rock up.

In what scenario do you think their would be ‘unsold’ allocations, when club allocations are less than 10k?

All you are doing is stopping club members from being able to go see their club in a GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back