Last night proved that we don't need the Grand Final at the MCG anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Despite being a Queenslander, I'll admit that the Gabba is probably considered 4th tier in terms of AFL stadiums, yet it was able to host a Grand Final that drew huge ratings and the game's quality wasn't effected at all. There's also the narrative of what a novelty grand final will bring to the state and how it could be perceived as "New". Whether you agree with it or not, every Grand Final at the MCG feels the same. The same tune is repeated year in, year out, the same commentators, the same production, etc. Can you imagine the event of a Grand Final in Perth? Or Adelaide? Or Sydney? You would get something different each year instead of tredding the predictable nature of showing the game at the G. Now, that's not to say that the MCG should host the grand final, however, why not share the event around? I know I would rather watch a grand final in Perth than at the G after seeing that it can work.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
MCG is shithouse for the entertainment element, pre game and half time stuff. At the ground and on tv the sound is rubbish and the stadium is too big for it. Last night was way better. The tv ratings is interesting, was it the time slot or was it due to Covid factors of less people at pubs, live sites, gatherings.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
MCG is shithouse for the entertainment element, pre game and half time stuff. At the ground and on tv the sound is rubbish and the stadium is too big for it. Last night was way better. The tv ratings is interesting, was it the time slot or was it due to Covid factors of less people at pubs, live sites, gatherings.
Who gives a s**t? Its about the footy, the rest is secondary. And the MCG is the best place to play footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
My interest in football is almost zero right now, i don't love it anymore, not sure i even like it. But it's what i grew up with and despite the horrendous choking failure....
Last night proved that we need the Grand Final at the MCG ASAP!
would have been over by 1/4 time at the g

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Covid didn't help, but it defiantly did not feel like a grand final as much as it usually does. So I disagree that it wasn't effected.

The build up was nil. Mostly due to covid there, but no parade and the likes just led to a flat build up.
Night grand final meant a whole day waiting for the game and by the time its done its already 11:30, you miss the 5-10 hours of celebrating after.
Things like the cheer after the anthem was no where near spine tickling like it normally is. The whole atmosphere just wasn't at that peak it normally is.

No covid and playing in Adelaide and Perth might fix these things, but I don't think any could match the G.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
???

Yesterday was an all round flop for mine.

Backing onto Cox Plate meant the build up wasn’t the same, there wasn’t the usual singular focus.

You can’t prove anything because of Covid, but it just didn’t feel like GF day was any real event.

The year before was much better, all the big big sound memes, GWS fans march to the G from the city, even the Giants made it an event.

Even the post match was meh, they barely did a lap of honour.

If anything it showed that the GF really is a Melbourne event, the entire city gets behind it and it is an amazing place to be for that long weekend. You don’t get that in a non-footy city.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
???

Yesterday was an all round flop for mine.

Backing onto Cox Plate meant the build up wasn’t the same, there wasn’t the usual singular focus.

You can’t prove anything because of Covid, but it just didn’t feel like GF day was any real event.

The year before was much better, all the big big sound memes, GWS fans march to the G from the city, even the Giants made it an event.

Even the post match was meh, they barely did a lap of honour.

If anything it showed that the GF really is a Melbourne event, the entire city gets behind it and it is an amazing place to be for that long weekend. You don’t get that in a non-footy city.

Perth and Adelaide are football cities. So what's the argument for not having the event there?

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Enough of the 100k people crap. Its meaningless.move the GF around and share the love across the whole country, not just one pocket.

No.

And I’ve never heard the MCG described as a ‘pocket’.
It’s the biggest ******* arena in the Southern Hemisphere.

Who cares about that?
Entertainment was s**t last night anyway.

Back