Last night proved that we don't need the Grand Final at the MCG anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why even have a thread like this?

I must be f*n psychic.

I knew every single post in this thread before I entered it..

Melbourne teams fans ''MCG'', Interstate teams fans ''Share it around''

Another pointless thread.
We all know it's pointless (for 46 more years at least) but that doesn't make it an invalid discussion. Do you remember when the AFL cancelled it's agreement with the MCG that a certain number of finals had to be played at the MCG each week and moved to the current model? Perhaps, down the track this one will go that way too.

I wonder if those West Aussies that are hankering for the GF to be played at Optus were making the same noise when that shitbox of a ground called Subiaco was their main ground?

And those from SA - there was never much debate when AAMI was your main venue.

Suck it up.
I don't get what you're saying, so we're both not allowed to want to utilise the world class facilities that we have? Yes old ovals were average, and now they are not. Surely they should be able to entertain a debate, WA and SA have brought plenty to the game and if you truly think otherwise? Well that's staggering.

Your comment is exactly why people get bent out of shape, you've basically said everything outside of Melbourne is a scrub of dirt beneath your shoe.

I don't get what you're saying, so we're both not allowed to want to utilise the world class facilities that we have? Yes old ovals were average, and now they are not. Surely they should be able to entertain a debate, WA and SA have brought plenty to the game and if you truly think otherwise? Well that's staggering.

Your comment is exactly why people get bent out of shape, you've basically said everything outside of Melbourne is a scrub of dirt beneath your shoe.
The WA stadium should have been built to hold 80k+. A genuinely large capacity would have added to the WA case for hosting the GF. It’s not like West coast wouldn’t be able to fill it at least some of the time.

Perhaps I should have said players from some visiting clubs have commented on the noise level, I'm sure Pendelbury was one, but here's the scientific facts

112db at Optus
122 at MCG.

So not the same.

112db at Optus
122 at MCG.

So not the same.
To be fair... prelims are always louder (obviously both measured in prelims). I haven’t read the whole thread but surely we are not arguing on decibel levels to who should get the grand final.

maybe we should measure the temperature of the pie warmer to see which pies make for a better grand final experience.

No I haven't. I happen to live in WA and think Optus is great.

But 60000 does not equate to 100000. What should be in place is provision for the GF to be switched if there's a derby. (BTW it's pronounced Darby, not Derby)

IMO it was a poor advertisement for moving the GF. Small crowd, wet day, entertainment again getting potted, next to no travelling fans. The AFL will point to high ratings but people in Queensland watched because it was a novelty and people in Victoria watched because they are all stuck at home and two Victorian teams were involved. I expect the AFL will stick with a night GF next year but they have been pushing for it for years.

In a normal season there is some appetite (mainly outside Victoria) for the GF to be played elsewhere. The 100k thing is a furphy. 1991 was 75k at Waverly, 03/04 were sub 80k due to the renovations ahead of the 2006 Comm Games. If there aren't 100k people there the world doesn't end. But the AFL don't want a rotating GF, and they don't want a #1 seed hosts the GF arrangement because it's a logistical headache. They have a(nother) long term MCC contract and it's a massive cashcow. But let's not pretend if some peanut billionaire like Clive Palmer built a 150k seat stadium and offered the AFL sacks full of cash to host the GF they would just decline citing 'tradition'.

There is a difference between moving the GF because of a pandemic and moving it because you want to or a venue is unavailable. If there was a Perth/Adelaide GF between Richmond and Geelong in a normal season I would expect tens of thousands to travel to the host city which would give it a real event feel.

There is a difference between moving the GF because of a pandemic and moving it because you want to or a venue is unavailable. If there was a Perth/Adelaide GF between Richmond and Geelong in a normal season I would expect tens of thousands to travel to the host city which would give it a real event feel.

Just how would these tens of thousands make it to Perth?

When WA teams play at the G, we keep getting told how transport is swamped with the 10-15K making the trip, and yet somehow several times as many can go the other way?

IMO it was a poor advertisement for moving the GF. Small crowd, wet day, entertainment again getting potted, next to no travelling fans. The AFL will point to high ratings but people in Queensland watched because it was a novelty and people in Victoria watched because they are all stuck at home and two Victorian teams were involved. I expect the AFL will stick with a night GF next year but they have been pushing for it for years.

In a normal season there is some appetite (mainly outside Victoria) for the GF to be played elsewhere. The 100k thing is a furphy. 1991 was 75k at Waverly, 03/04 were sub 80k due to the renovations ahead of the 2006 Comm Games. If there aren't 100k people there the world doesn't end. But the AFL don't want a rotating GF, and they don't want a #1 seed hosts the GF arrangement because it's a logistical headache. They have a(nother) long term MCC contract and it's a massive cashcow. But let's not pretend if some peanut billionaire like Clive Palmer built a 150k seat stadium and offered the AFL sacks full of cash to host the GF they would just decline citing 'tradition'.

Nearly impossible to get a ticket with 100k seats. Imagine it with a stadium half the size.

If every state had a world class stadium I wouldn’t have a problem with it but Perth stadium is the only other ground largenough and with good enough facilities to make it work its no coincidence the two worst grand finals for atmosphere have been the Gabba and Waverley park

How is Perth better than Adelaide oval?

MCG is shithouse for the entertainment element, pre game and half time stuff. At the ground and on tv the sound is rubbish and the stadium is too big for it. Last night was way better. The tv ratings is interesting, was it the time slot or was it due to Covid factors of less people at pubs, live sites, gatherings.
Omfg roflmao "the stadium is too big"
Post of the year mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair... prelims are always louder (obviously both measured in prelims). I haven’t read the whole thread but surely we are not arguing on decibel levels to who should get the grand final.

maybe we should measure the temperature of the pie warmer to see which pies make for a better grand final experience.

No, the db level was something you brought up. I was just observing that Optus doesn't measure up there either.

Size, history, atmosphere all matter more than mere noise.

It was still a spectacle despite a reduced crowd and non-traditional state (most of the credit must go to the teams, to be fair, good quality game). It would be a spectacle anywhere, the MCG simply offers a little larger crowd. The difference isn’t worth locking out every other state.

The MCG is not the spiritual place some people make it out to be.
Have you ever been to a game with 80,000 plus?

We had that - it was called Waverley Park. And it was only a little bit further out of town than Wembley is from London.

It didn't work - admittedly, mostly because it didn't have a train line to it. But overall, it was still not as good as the MCG for the whole build-up, crowds gathering outside, walking to the ground along the river...............................

I complained about shutting Waverley and building Docklands - still do. Waverley was a perfect H&A ground. Grand Finals - no.
There would have been a train line if not for a corrupt state government

If interstate fans were tennis fans

"Since the majority of players aren't australian, the australian open should be held in russia next year"

A rotated Grand Final means the MCG would have to be reduced in capacity, realistically to 80,000. The stadium's economics don't work without it.

A night Grand Final at a full capacity stadium in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth would be a very different experience to what was seen on Saturday night.

If interstate fans were tennis fans

"Since the majority of players aren't australian, the australian open should be held in russia next year"

Except in this case, the majority of players ARE Victorian...

Perhaps I should have said players from some visiting clubs have commented on the noise level, I'm sure Pendelbury was one, but here's the scientific facts
You quote an article as evidence, then the article literally proves you wrong... nice.

"When Willie Rioli snapped a late goal through congestion to put West Coast within a kick of Melbourne last month, the noise at Optus Stadium reached 112.1dB."

"With 94,258 fans packed into the MCG — nearly all of them Tigers supporters — the volume reached a deafening 122dB"

Approximately 10dB is HUGE difference in sound pressure. Every 3dB is a literally doubling in the sound energy. So double to 115, then double again to 118, then double again to 121 then you're still not at the level the MCG reached.

On the topic of the thread, MCG is definitely a spiritual home of the game.

Have you ever been to a game with 80,000 plus?
Yes, I've seen Collingwood vs Geelong back in 2011 or 12 when both were challenging, and I've been to a Dreamtime at the G game. Great atmospheres. I've also been to Perth Stadium with 60,000 people. Great atmosphere. It's simply not the case that one was so much dramatically better than the other.

Last edited:
MCG is shithouse for the entertainment element, pre game and half time stuff. At the ground and on tv the sound is rubbish and the stadium is too big for it. Last night was way better. The tv ratings is interesting, was it the time slot or was it due to Covid factors of less people at pubs, live sites, gatherings.
If you want that sort of entertainment go to a concert or the theater.

People who want sports entertainment want sport. keep the sprint and maybe even a 400m. Let’s keep it as a sporting event with some before and after entertainment but let’s not make it about the entertainment.

Non Victorian club supporters have to pay over priced travel and accommodation or sometimes buy before they even know if their team has made the GF just to avoid the high costs.
The point being that there are multiple relatively convenient options (especially for SA,NSW) to get to the G.

It isn’t as if Adelaide members with GF access rights miss out on getting to the G.

That is the problem with Perth for a ‘rotating’ final. The likelihood being you will have some 35-40k club members from the east of Australia who would currently have access to a GF ticket and be easily able to attend at the G.

You simply aren’t going to be able to get the 35k club members across to Perth...the rotation idea will shaft competing club members.

Either go with a ‘home’ GF or leave it as it is. And for mine, the GABBA GF was sorely lacking in terms of build up and event feel (how much you contribute to COVID??).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back