Last player to use a place kick or drop kick in a AFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Just out of interest does any know who the last player to use a place kick or a drop kick in VFL/AFL footy was.

Reckon Syd Jackson might have been the last to use a drop kick.

PS. - Mick Mcguane after receiving injections to the groin and dropping the ball a couple of times does not count. :D

Have a vague feeling that there was one drop kick 'recently' (last 5 years). Might be imagining it though.

I seem to recall Richard Osborne or player of similar ilk/era kicking a drop kick goal in the early 80's but it was only form 15 metres out into an open goal

And then there was Mick Mcguane after the club surgeon gave him a bit too much of a jab at half time and he lost all control of his right leg, I'm sure one of his comical atttempts to kick the ball turned into an accidental drop kick!!!!!

Oops, just read the op properly - great minds think alike!

I am sure there is a more recent occurrence but the one that sticks to my memory was Bruce Lidner when playing for the Cats kicked a beauty of a drop kick from inside the centre square deep into the forward line. Would have to be mid-late eighties I guess. Even then drop kicks were rare as the commentators loved it and kept on replaying it over again.
Great to see though!

The last time I saw it used legitimately in a game was by Darren Bewick a few years ago. Pretty sure he kicked a goal from about 30m out with one.

I seem to recall Richard Osborne or player of similar ilk/era kicking a drop kick goal in the early 80's but it was only form 15 metres out into an open goal
thought it was darren 'doc' wheildon.. but that was many many many many beers ago...

I think Cameron Ling did one not long ago, not sure if it was an accident or not though.

winner!

dunno if it was ling but definitely a geelong player. i remember the commentators talking about whether the drop kick was still legal cause he was being tackled at the time. i think he either kicked or set up a goal with it, maybe not though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure there is a more recent occurrence but the one that sticks to my memory was Bruce Lidner when playing for the Cats kicked a beauty of a drop kick from inside the centre square deep into the forward line. Would have to be mid-late eighties I guess. Even then drop kicks were rare as the commentators loved it and kept on replaying it over again.
Great to see though!

That was a monster kick that went straight through for a goal. I am pretty sure it was at the SCG.

Michael Gardiner kicked a goal using 'the drop kick' in the Round 14 St.Kilda/Geelong (I think) game.
Actually I just looked it up. It was the Dockers.

sportal.com.au said:
So tepid were the Dockers, Saints ruckman Michael Gardiner found the time in the third quarter to drop-kick a goal from the goal square.

Yeah Doc Wheildon is the one that stands out to me.... not sure whether or not that was at Kardinia park? can somebody clarify it?
I'm sure there was a player who ran into an open goal a few years ago without any pressure and he did the old drop kick and the commentators were shocked haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back