Query Last time an AFL footballer played Shield Cricket ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Was it Craig Bradley playing for Victoria when he was still a Carlton footballer ?
I vaguely have a memory of him play one or two games for Victoria even though he was originally from SA.
Maybe my memory playing tricks on me.
He came to Carlton in 1986 so I suspect maybe around 1988 or 89 he played some games for Victoria.
Even then it was probably not encouraged by the football club but they never could stop them back then I think. Anyone know , if and when he played those Shield games ?
I suspect no AFL footballer has since been allowed to play Shield level cricket whilst still on an AFL list.

Was it Craig Bradley playing for Victoria when he was still a Carlton footballer ?
I vaguely have a memory of him play one or two games for Victoria even though he was originally from SA.
Maybe my memory playing tricks on me.
He came to Carlton in 1986 so I suspect maybe around 1988 or 89 he played some games for Victoria.
Even then it was probably not encouraged by the football club but they never could stop them back then I think. Anyone know , if and when he played those Shield games ?
I suspect no AFL footballer has since been allowed to play Shield level cricket whilst still on an AFL list.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4273.html

Cricket took a back-seat to football, although he still found time to play two Sheffield Shield games for South Australia in 1983-84 and two for Victoria in 1989-90.

A few more names were mentioned in this old thread, I'm not sure if there's anyone more recent than Bradley:-
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trivia-help-last-cricket-aussie-rules-player.82564/

There'd have to be quite a few up until the late '70s/early '80s

From 1972 to 1974 Robert Rose played for Collingwood then Footscray, and he played Shield cricket for Victoria each of those years.

In 1973 he only played 9 games for the Bulldogs but he later scored a century for the Vics during the 73-74 cricket season. Unfortunately, both careers ended early '74 when he became a quadraplegic after a motor accident :(

Another was Geoff Parker, gun cricket player who played a few games for Essendon late '80s

Max Walker....

I'll give you a hint - no AFL footballer has played shield cricket. VFL maybe, but not since the change to AFL :)

Todd Breman
Breman debuted for Western Australia during the 1985/1986 season as a medium pace bowler. He played 10 first-class matches and five List A matches over three seasons.

He had played cricket in the summer and football in the winter with the Subiaco Football Club, before pursuing a full-time career in Australian rules football in the Victorian Football League (now AFL).

After playing with the Subiaco Football Club in the WAFL and leading their goalscoring in 1987 and 1988, Breman was drafted in the 1988 VFL Draft to the West Coast Eagles. Debuting with the club in 1989, he played two seasons in the VFL/AFL before being cut.

After a year out of the AFL he was selected by the Richmond Football Club in 1992 before his AFL career ended after the 1993 season

Todd Breman
Breman debuted for Western Australia during the 1985/1986 season as a medium pace bowler. He played 10 first-class matches and five List A matches over three seasons.

He had played cricket in the summer and football in the winter with the Subiaco Football Club, before pursuing a full-time career in Australian rules football in the Victorian Football League (now AFL).

After playing with the Subiaco Football Club in the WAFL and leading their goalscoring in 1987 and 1988, Breman was drafted in the 1988 VFL Draft to the West Coast Eagles. Debuting with the club in 1989, he played two seasons in the VFL/AFL before being cut.

After a year out of the AFL he was selected by the Richmond Football Club in 1992 before his AFL career ended after the 1993 season
Played in the VFL or AFL? Like I said, no AFL player.

Played in the VFL or AFL? Like I said, no AFL player.

OK, .... guess what, did you hit the post with your scone too often, what was the national comp called in 1989, yeh SA were recalcitrant, sooking ... the AFL commenced in 1990, 1989 he played where, errr, in the VFL.

Lift your game poster !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the link Michael. Had a good look. Very helpful.
See Simon O'Donnell, Geoff Parker, Jamie Siddons, Craig Bradley, Todd Breman , someone call Michael Clark I cannot recall seeing in either sport and finally Nick Jewell that barely seen but remember he was on Richmond list at one stage. Not sure if he ever made his debut.
Having a glance though, it may well be that Craig Bradley actually is the last player to ever play Shield Cricket whilst still being on his footy clubs playing list. All those others players did not seem to be.

Did Siddons really play a few games for Swans ? Must have overlooked noticing him in mid 80's.
Decent cricketer. Probably stiff not to play a few Tests.

A few...I remember seeing him play at the SCG one day... skillful half forward type but made the right call with respect to which sport to focus one...should have played for Australia...

See Simon O'Donnell, Geoff Parker, Jamie Siddons, Craig Bradley, Todd Breman , someone call Michael Clark I cannot recall seeing in either sport and finally Nick Jewell that barely seen but remember he was on Richmond list at one stage. Not sure if he ever made his debut.
Having a glance though, it may well be that Craig Bradley actually is the last player to ever play Shield Cricket whilst still being on his footy clubs playing list. All those others players did not seem to be.

Heard Graeme Wood on Melbourne radio today, Test cricketer & East Freo league footballer - like most half foward flankers of his era he was an outside player but no one could doubt his courage opening the batting against the West Indies quicks

One senior game against Freo in 1997.

Did Siddons really play a few games for Swans ? Must have overlooked noticing him in mid 80's.
Decent cricketer. Probably stiff not to play a few Tests.
Better than decent. Absolute gun who would have played 100 Tests for any other country, or if he was born 10 years earlier or 20 years later. As good a fieldsman as Mark Waugh too, and I don't say that lightly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back