Last time Carlton & Melbourne finished Bottom 3.....

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
It was 2007 and the final ladder standings were:

14. Melbourne (5 wins - 20pts)
15. Carlton (4 wins - 16pts)
16. Richmond (3 wins & 1 draw - 14pts) - Wooden Spoon and a Premiership within a decade.
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2007.html#lad

Before that it was 2003 and the final ladder standings were:

16. Western Bulldogs (3 wins & 1 draw - 14pts) - Wooden Spoon and a Premiership within 13 years.
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2003.html#lad

Does this mean Gold Coast will get only a draw for the rest of the year and finish bottom - but win a Premiership within the next 10-15 years while Carlton will manage 3 wins in the run home under their caretaker coach and Melbourne will manage 2 wins in the run home and finish 16th?

Well - you heard it hear first that Gold Coast are set for a Premiership by 2032 anyway........

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for reminding me of how at that point we were considered on a par or even below both these teams. The 2007 draft was, in retrospect, a point of divergence (though the Tigers had also nailed the 2006 draft with Riewoldt and Edwards along with trading in Grigg and Houli for our lowest picks). This was the year Judd was coming home to Melbourne and he famously rejected Richmond as an inferior club to Carlton, so they got to trade all except their first pick, which they used to pick up Kreuzer, to get the superstar in. Richmond was forced to just rely on the lottery of the draft, picking up a couple of spuds called Cotchin and Rance. I remember how in 2011, when Carlton made the finals while Dimma was still engaged in trying to push us into the middle tier of the table, someone made a thread on the Carlton board with a title something along the lines of "But Richmond have better kids than us, lol" which remained active for a couple of years at least. As for Melbourne, they recruited Cale Morton with their first pick in that draft, then Jack Grimes, Addam Maric and Kyle Cheney. Grimes at least was promising initially, enough to be made captain before his career was cruelled by injury, ending after 100 games. To add insult to injury, Richmond picked up Grimes' supposedly inferior younger brother in the 2009 Preseason draft and I reckon he's gone alright.;) That was also the year in which, after the infamous Jordan McMahon tank battle, Melbourne picked up Scully and Trengrove while the Tigers were left with a bloke called Dusty.

And Carlton fans, I think our kids were better than yours, but you can rest easy this time as you have the mighty SOS to help with your recruiting.

Last edited:
Agree, You will rally and finish with 10 wins still IMO, similar to us last season.
Yeah true, maybe 9-13 I reckon.

I don';t think it unrealistic to think we will go 6-5 in the 2nd half of the season

Thanks for reminding me of how at that point we were considered on a par or even below both these teams. The 2007 draft was, in retrospect, a point of divergence (though the Tigers had also nailed the 2006 draft with Riewoldt and Edwards along with trading in Grigg and Houli for our lowest picks). This was the year Judd was coming home to Melbourne and he famously rejected Richmond as an inferior club to Carlton, so they got to trade all except their first pick, which they used to pick up Kreuzer, to get the superstar in. Richmond was forced to just rely on the lottery of the draft, picking up a couple of spuds called Cotchin and Rance. I remember how in 2011, when Carlton made the finals while Dimma was still engaged in trying to push us into the middle tier of the table, someone made a thread on the Carlton board with a title something along the lines of "But Richmond have better kids than us, lol" which remained active for a couple of years at least. As for Melbourne, they recruited Cale Morton with their first pick in that draft, then Jack Grimes, Addam Maric and Kyle Cheney. Grimes at least was promising initially, enough to be made captain before his career was cruelled by injury, ending after 100 games. To add insult to injury, Richmond picked up Grimes' supposedly inferior younger brother in the 2009 Preseason draft and I reckon he's gone alright.;) That was also the year in which, after the infamous Jordan McMahon tank battle, Melbourne picked up Scully and Trengrove while the Tigers were left with a bloke called Dusty.

And Carlton fans, I think our kids were better than yours, but you can rest easy this time as you have the mighty SOS to help with your recruiting.

Well exactly, and watch who Gold Coast draft this year........

call me naive but melbourne won't finish in the bottom 3

Gonna be close.....

It was 2007 and the final ladder standings were:

16. Richmond (3 wins & 1 draw - 14pts) - Wooden Spoon and a Premiership within a decade.
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2007.html#lad

Before that it was 2003 and the final ladder standings were:

16. Western Bulldogs (3 wins & 1 draw - 14pts) - Wooden Spoon and a Premiership within 13 years.
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2003.html#lad

As it is after Round 17 with 6 games to go we're a draw away from an exact match - though can't see GC getting a draw with anyone.

16. Melbourne (5 wins - 20pts)
17. Carlton (4 wins - 16 pts)
18. Gold Coast (3 wins - 12pts).

And yes - Melbourne still bottom 3 and I certainly can't see them finishing any higher than 15th. So still bottom 4.

Will come down to St. Kilda v Melbourne at Marvel in Round 19 I'd suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back