• Swimming

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow a lot people have really gotten very very offended over a post that wasn’t half as melty as most posts in any gameday thread.

It’s entirely your choice to misinterpret this as me saying “winning a flag last year was a fluke” or “we didn’t deserve a flag last year” or “we need a new coach”.

Hey, if you don’t think that the team seemed different last year in terms of hunger and hardness, that’s great. If you don’t think it’s any different this year, good for you.

So it was a click bait title and written a bit dramatically - I had been at a mate’s funeral hours before the game, and was feeling like crap.

Unpopular opinion / morning-after melt

I think this side is mentally weak and has been the whole time under Simpson and Hurn. 2018 was an anomaly.

This year we’ve just reverted back to the 2015-2017 flat track bully. Not in terms of thrashing the bottom sides, but in only performing when we’re allowed to play our preferred style.

As soon as the opposition makes it too hard for us to implement our champagne footy, we have no one (other than maybe Yeo) stepping up to fight back.

Last year, we managed to find some sort of spirit in the finals, and all of our players started to dig in, but whatever it was it clearly disappeared over the off-season.

So really when you look at things over the course of a few years, it seems more and more like 2018 was an outlier and we are just continuing to be a very talented but ultimately brittle one-dimensional side under Simpson and Hurn.

UTBC

stopped reading after "flat track bully'

logic for simpletons

Last year was none of the sort. we beat GWS twice. the home win against them was outstanding. backs against the wall stuff. went and knocked off the pies at the G. Even being behind and Nic getting hurt.

The pies threw everything at us in the qualifying final. That was brutal and we hung on and got up. That was mental toughness. then we crushed the dees who were on a roll.

Oh yeah the GF was ok. Only came back from 5 goals down and hung in there all day. Not to mention we lost the 2015 grand final in embarrassing fashion.

We’ve only been favourites in 3 of the 9 finals we’ve played under Simpson, and yet we’ve gone 6-3 with one flag and a Grand Final. That’s the same win loss ratio as our home and away win loss. By any measure we’ve actually done better than expected.

You’re underestimating the difficulty of winning finals as a non Victorian team. We won’t match the Hawks because we don’t get their advantages. Give us three home grand finals against non WA teams and I think we’d have a decent crack at it too.

This is a poor hot take.

I hate to defend Hawthorn's legacy, but they did do it the hard way in 2015, granted the MCG is their home. I also don't think it's any harder for interstate clubs to win it all, as statistics will show. Indeed, if you're talking back to back in the AFL era more interstate clubs have done it or been in a position to do it. Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney could have done it in 05-06. Only Victorian side to pull it off was Hawthorn though other sides had an opportunity playing successive gfs.

As others have pointed out, not really an anomaly results wise, we've been up and about for the past rew years. An anomaly would be Melbourne last year. I don't think we've played all that differently this year to last, though there is a slight dropoff yes. Last year we were often patchy, but came good in finals whencit mattered. Let's hope we can do that again. I do think if changes aren't made we'll fall next year. I'm expecting 5-8. I mean we finished 5th but we were top 4 most of the year.

I hate to defend Hawthorn's legacy, but they did do it the hard way in 2015, granted the MCG is their home. I also don't think it's any harder for interstate clubs to win it all, as statistics will show. Indeed, if you're talking back to back in the AFL era more interstate clubs have done it or been in a position to do it. Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney could have done it in 05-06. Only Victorian side to pull it off was Hawthorn though other sides had an opportunity playing successive gfs.

I don't think you will find too many people agreeing with your here.

Even last week, Kingy was saying ïnterstate clubs have a real disadvantage playing Melbourne based teams
on their home ground.

2013 Hawks finished on top and so that's fair enough.
2014 Hawks finished 2nd and had to play the top side (Sydney) on their home ground.
2015 Freo finished 1st, WC 2nd and Hawks 3rd. WC beat Hawks by 5 goals in their home qualifiying final.

By doing it the "hard way" I assume it's because they got beaten by WC in Perth.

I reckon if they played 2014 and 2015 away, they wouldn't have won.
All hypothetical of course.

If you don't think the home ground advantage is substantial, look at the bookies odds.

When we play Richmond last at the Gee, they were hot favourites.
If that game was at Optus, reckon we would've been favourites.

I think a home ground advantage is the equivalent to 5 goals.

I don't think you will find too many people agreeing with your here.

Even last week, Kingy was saying ïnterstate clubs have a real disadvantage playing Melbourne based teams
on their home ground.

2013 Hawks finished on top and so that's fair enough.
2014 Hawks finished 2nd and had to play the top side (Sydney) on their home ground.
2015 Freo finished 1st, WC 2nd and Hawks 3rd. WC beat Hawks by 5 goals in their home qualifiying final.

By doing it the "hard way" I assume it's because they got beaten by WC in Perth.

I reckon if they played 2014 and 2015 away, they wouldn't have won.
All hypothetical of course.

If you don't think the home ground advantage is substantial, look at the bookies odds.

When we play Richmond last at the Gee, they were hot favourites.
If that game was at Optus, reckon we would've been favourites.

I think a home ground advantage is the equivalent to 5 goals.

The only real disadvantage is where the GF is played, which isn't as much of an advantage for Marvel tenants anyway.

We've been stronger at the MCG than at Optus since we moved to Optus as well. Beat Collingwood and Hawthorn at the G and lose to both at home.

Optus has evened the playing field both ways. We have less trouble at the MCG, Victorian MCG tenants have less trouble adapting to Perth's ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team should win at least two flags in reality that JK is at the end and therefore we need to look to the future.

As for next year, we need Tim Kelly in the team. Have Kelly, Yeo, Shuey,Gaff, Sheed and Redden. That is a good midfield good enough for a flag. Providing we can get enough goals from a forward line minus JK
Elliot Yeo? The guy that bailed out on the Lions?

Good call, most years West Coast do not win the premiership.

Hawthorn's 3-peat was an even bigger anomaly, that rarely happens. That club ought to be triple-folded.

I look forward to our next anomaly year :) Our last two anomalies have been 12 seasons apart. This year will be season 6 so we are halfway there (here’s hoping 😆). Fully prepared for the fact that it could well be longer, and will certainly treasure the next one if/when it comes.

13 other clubs (and supporter bases) would love to have a recent anomaly year like we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back