Autopsy Late fight back not enough as dogs Bow out of finals

Remove this Banner Ad

So apparently Schache isn’t physical... at least he can get off the ground unlike Bruce?
And can actually convert in front of goal unlike many in the team

Yeah just can’t get the footy and doesn’t even make a contest so others can.

Schache is not the answer

They had a few who came to watch, but we had a few too. Gee they have us in the air if we bring in it slow and high so lets bring it in high and slow. A little frustrating, but it was StKilda (13) versus Western Bulldogs (16) on the real ladder so closer than i expected in reality. Big Sally copped a hammering again, but he was so good around the ground. St Kilda should have played Nick Hind on Caleb Daniel so he could follow him around the ground, but saying that Geary did
a fine job of taking him to places he does not want to be and exposing him. Don't blame the umpires at all they were given life memberships, admired the fight all the way to the siren, but some big moments again cost us in the wash up.

Disappointing but we certainly did not deserve to win. The reality is we beat one team inside the 8 all year and that was an injury hit West Coast.

Honestly I couldn’t see us beating anyone beyond Week 1. That not to say it’s not disappointing and that we shouldn’t be angry but this year did have the same feeling of 2015/16.

We have a lot to do over the summer but we should be better for it. Entries Inside 50 and Accuracy are a must improve if we are any chance of getting Top 4. Bruce will improve with another preseason with our system and hopefully will drop a bit of weight.

I am very excited to see what JUH adds and if he can have an impact in his first season.

Now onto today’s game…

Some things to note

We targeted Bruce and Naughton just two times each Inside 50 equal with Roarke Smith.

Saints took 26 marks inside our 50, we took 9.

In the last ten minutes even though we kicked 3 goals, our two best players Bontempelli and Macrae had a combined 2 disposals.

AFL Media put Bontempelli as second best, not sure what game they were watching but Bontempelli did not have a good game at all, even Gardner got more Ranking Points than Bont.

Expected Score
STK: 80
WB: 75

Shots At Goal
STK: 19 (53%)

WB: 23 (39%)

Bombs Inside 50
STK: 3
WB: 14

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
44 - English (9/3)
8 - Bruce (0/0)
2 - Dunkley (0/0)
2 - Keath (0/0)
1 - Bontempelli (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

STK: 12
WB: 3

First Possessions
STK: 24
WB: 29

Effective Clearances
STK: 18
WB: 19

Effective Centre Bounce Clearances
STK: 7
WB: 10

Tackle Efficiency
STK: 53%
WB: 49%

Forward Half Contested Marks
STK: 9
WB: 6

Score Launches
3 - English, Williams
2 - Daniel, Liberatore, Macrae
1 - Bontempelli, Crozier, Duryea, Gardner, Richards, R. Smith, Wood

Targets Inside 50
5 - Wallis
3 - Bontempelli, Crozier, Dunkley, English
2 - Bruce, Naughton, R. Smith
1 - Johannisen

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Dunkley
1 - Bontempelli, Gardner, Hunter, Macrae, R. Smith

Pressure Gauge
STK: 169 (Poor)
WB: 186 (Average)

WB Kicks Inside 50
WB Kicks Inside 50.png

Score Sources
Score Sources.png

Disappointing, but it's not our year and never was. A few key bad moments stood out and I think the scoreline flattered us in the end, we were poor. Plenty of easy set shot misses, dumb turnovers leading to goals, poor ruck contests etc which we can't afford if we want to win finals.

Frustrating to lose another final to the Saints but it was a 50-50 game going in and its better than being done by a side like Richmond or Geelong. Happy for the majority of humble Saints fans, but not the few idiots (every side has them) who will probably get their comeuppance next week although I hope they win.

All in all, just another reason why 2020 can go in the bin.

I still have more than half of my pizza left. Will it freeze OK to eat next year?

Disappointing end to the season. What a year - 2020. Worst of my 68 years and it could get worse. Richmond winning the GF and something else happening a month from today might put me over the edge. A nice, spicy Bloody Mary would taste so good now... :p

Missed opportunities. Sad.

If only I would have accepted that teaching position in Bogota, Columbia 45 years ago, I would not be suffering tonight. But then I guess I might have been dead by now instead. OK. I feel better now. :)
Hey you'd never have seen 2016 if you took the job in colombia

I'm... baffled. The players have the ability to play football at the best level in the comp but chose not to for 3 quarters. And yes, it was a choice. There is no structural move any coach could make that would explain the difference from being smashed for 3 quarters to dominating the last in that fashion. That is entirely on the playing group.

Similar to last year, we sneak in on the back of a few mids playing to unbelievable levels at the end of the year (Bont player ratings ranking #1, Hunter way up there in score involvements, Libba in the hottest form). And just like last year it comes finals time and all of these mids don't show up. The rest of our team just isn't good enough. It's win in the middle or don't win at all. Either our best players need to actually show up in finals or we need to seriously overall a significant chunk of our team to make us more balanced (essentially rebuild).

I'll be interested to see how often we hit up Naughton as a forward 50 target. I think I saw it once? We have one of the best contested mark players in the comp and we fu** around handballing before chip kicking to someone like Crozier instead of using our best forward 50 weapon. Brainless football.

Your first sentence tells me why you are baffled. We are not good enough to compete with the best this year and have been beaten every time by teams above us other then the Eagles in Qld who are rubbish there.

We are a mid table team with a mid table coach, it’s pretty simple and the last 4 years have proven that.

Chin up fellas. Donald Trump still has Covid-19.

The swings and roundabouts .

They just showed Trump a video of our game to 3/4 to show him things aren’t all bad

He thinks that Tim English is a very smart young fellow. Very smart.

Hunter’s miss from 15 metres out on the 3QT siren cost us the game.
it’s picking at straws but there was no live play after it, no effective kick in and no change in the course of play - all it would have meant if he kicked it was another 5 points. So in this case we can pin point that that miss actually cost us the game.
RW&B out, see ya guys
Bailey Smith's miss was at least as bad. Momentum killer and Saints seemed to get control back soon after.

We were inconsistent all year so it suits that we only played two quarters.

Need ruck support for English already.

Too many turnovers and poor decision making.

Poor defensive efforts - Lack of body on talls and maning the zone.
Lack of effort letting all those saints players loose and free ... until the last stanza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a ruckman, desperately. English isn't a ruckman he's just tall.

Our tackling was pathetic and really we didn't deserve to be anywhere near them at the final siren.

Coaching poor today. Naughton should have gone back when we were getting smashed. Bruce should have gone into ruck and English forward. Bruce shouldn’t be part of our future plans. Nor should Gardiner. Not sure about Richards’ role- not sure he or Bevo do either. Caleb much better upfield. I know Roarke doesn’t have many fans here but I think he is improving and certainly not amongst our worst. I have lost faith in Bevo.

Okay I’m not angry anymore.
I’m hoping next year we fix our many issues but I highly doubt it with bev at the helm. Here’s to hoping though.

I also want to apologise to Tim English for giving him so much crap. It’s not his fault bevo throws him in the deep end and doesn’t have the support in Trengove playing Alongside him. I just wish he’d put more effort in to contests and not get thrown off the ball so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back