Lauren Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope so. The Boomers aren't going to win a Gold any time soon, so I'm putting all my eggs in the Opals basket. It's still embarrassing how few Aussie's know about her. One of the all-time greats.

I hope so. The Boomers aren't going to win a Gold any time soon, so I'm putting all my eggs in the Opals basket. It's still embarrassing how few Aussie's know about her. One of the all-time greats.
Don't know about that. If Dante Exum, Ben Simmons and Thon Maker reach their potential I could easily see the Boomers getting a medal.

Don't know about that. If Dante Exum, Ben Simmons and Thon Maker reach their potential I could easily see the Boomers getting a medal.

Thats a big IF. I've heard mixed reports on their abilities. Right now, I would say the Opals are a far surer bet.

What about Dante Exum?
good player and a solid NBA prospect. tall point guard who needs to add some size and work on his shooting mechanics but besides that he's solid and has been on the american radar for a while now.

now for the reasoning behind Ben Simmons being a better NBA prospect, he is like a Tracy McGrady and nick batum combination in everything he does on the floor and he really has few weaknesses in his game. he can put the ball on the floor, he can pass, he can shoot and he is by all records a really solid kid who is very coachable.

he holds more skills that will translate in the NBA and in saying that could easily translate into elite level.

but hey time will tell !!!

i'm not so familiar with thon maker at the moment but i'll make sure to learn about him :)

Looks like the career of Australia's greatest female basketballer maybe over. She hasn't given up on playing at next years Olympics, but 10 knee surgeries in the last two years suggests we may never see her on the court again. If that is the case, it will be a sad way for a genuine basketball superstar to end such a wonderful career. At her peak she was the best player in the world and could do some amazing things on the court.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...s-career-nearing-its-end-20151230-glwppc.html

Looks like the career of Australia's greatest female basketballer maybe over. She hasn't given up on playing at next years Olympics, but 10 knee surgeries in the last two years suggests we may never see her on the court again. If that is the case, it will be a sad way for a genuine basketball superstar to end such a wonderful career. At her peak she was the best player in the world and could do some amazing things on the court.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...s-career-nearing-its-end-20151230-glwppc.html
No need to add female into it, She is our best basketball export by a long way

3 MVP's in the best league in the world, 2 championships
4 in the domestic league, 3 championships

She basically has the same type of sucess as blokes like Moses Malone, Magic Johnson ect. Vastly not known by the general public on what she did

No need to add female into it, She is our best basketball export by a long way

3 MVP's in the best league in the world, 2 championships
4 in the domestic league, 3 championships

She basically has the same type of sucess as blokes like Moses Malone, Magic Johnson ect. Vastly not known by the general public on what she did

I agree with you that she is the best basketballer Australia has ever produced, but I thought I would be a little conservative in my opinions.

She actually won 5 WNBL championships with the Capitals and one with the AIS. That AIS team is one of the great teams in Aussie basketball, with Jackson, Kristen Veal, Penny Taylor, Suzy Batkovic and Belinda Snell all playing for the Opals over the next 10-15 years, but at the time they won the title they were only 16,17 or 18 years old.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is now official. LJ has called it a day on a great career.

Australia (1997-2016)
3 Olympic silver medals (2000, 2004, 2008)
1 Olympic bronze medal (2012)
1 Commonwealth Games gold (2006)
1 world championship gold (2006)
2 world championship bronze (1998, 2002)

WNBA
Seattle Storm
(2001-2012)
2 WNBA championships
3-time MVP
8-time All Star

WNBL
AIS (1997-1999)
Canberra Capitals (1999-2004, 2005-2006, 2009-2010, 2014-2015)
6 WNBL championships
4-time MVP
6-time All Star
4-time grand final MVP

Europe
Spartak Moscow Region
(2007-2010)
Ros Casares Valencia (2011-2012)
3 EuroLeague championships
2-time EuroLeague All Star
2 Russian championships
1 Spanish championship
1 EuroLeague final four MVP

Other Teams
Albury Wodonga Lady Bandits
(Australia, 2006)
Samsung Bichumi (Korea; 2007)
Ekaterinburg (Russia 2004)
Heilongjiang Shenda (China 2013-2014)

Deserved to go out on her terms, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

All best for the future Loz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOAT tier basketballer. Was like the female Dirk Nowitzki with defense.

In response to getting a hug from Yao Ming at the 2008 Summer Olympics during the closing ceremonies, internet rumours started that Jackson and the married Ming were romantically involved.[28] These rumours were incorrect. Jackson said of them: "When we came across this Yao Ming thing it was like, 'Oh...My...God! When I tell you we were in hysterics...because anybody who knows me knows that would be the last thing on my mind. A 7 foot 8 Chinese man? That's just not my thing. I really respect him as a player. And people who know me know I can be wild and over-the-top. I'm affectionate and that night I guess I was affectionate with the wrong person. I guess the Chinese people don't do that stuff very often, so the cultural [differences] was a big thing. But I don't care

lol wiki

Our best basketball player by far.

And for a period, the best female player on the planet - unquestionable. (unless you lived in LA).

And always came across as very honest and down to earth. (which I guess happen's when you're only paid a pittance compared to the men)... It's a real shame that she didn't make the Rio cut (but not unexpected), and I just hope that she has been financially rewarded enough throughout her career to make up for everything she would've put her body through.

Saw her play for the Canberra Capitals every summer for almost a decade. An amazing player, she was a class above everyone in our local WNBL, but she was also quite unique in that she was a 196cm forward/centre who could dribble, pass and run the floor like a guard. She could play the post, hit the three, shot block by the dozens and pull down rebounds by the bucket load. Off the court she is a genuinely warm person, who always had time for her fans, especially the young girls and boys who line up for autographs and photos after the game. A truly amazing athlete and one of the nicest superstars you could meet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back