Lauren Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

She's a top 5 female basketballer of all time and easily the best basketballer that Australia has produced. She could quite easily be regarded as the best WNBA player in history.

It's a shame that her career has been cut short particularly given many of her peers have remained productive well into their late 30s. Would have been nice to see here suit up for the next two Olympics.

" seven-time WNBA All-Star and three-time WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson" That's nice and all but they left off two time WNBA champion, one of which she was MVP and finals MVP.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

" seven-time WNBA All-Star and three-time WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson" That's nice and all but they left off two time WNBA champion, one of which she was MVP and finals MVP.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Too many achievements they were bound to miss some.

She's a top 5 female basketballer of all time and easily the best basketballer that Australia has produced. She could quite easily be regarded as the best WNBA player in history.

Still stands.

Jackson was obviously going to end up in the hall of fame but still nice to see it realised.

Has this been getting much press in general? Would be pretty sad if one our greatest athletes ever making their sport's HOF went by without much fanfare. But she is a basketballer, so wouldn't surprise me...

Has this been getting much press in general? Would be pretty sad if one our greatest athletes ever making their sport's HOF went by without much fanfare. But she is a basketballer, so wouldn't surprise me...
She did in Canberra where she played her entire WNBL career, but I’ve only seen a couple of articles outside the local press.

Does she take a spot of a younger, or even old, player who is performaning?
My guess is she will take the spot that was probably going to Liz Cambage before her meltdown before last years Olympics. I don't think we have another player with the height, power and experience to fill that position.

Lauren was never really a 5, but with the way the game has moved on plus her age & injuries it's probably the spot for her now if she's going to get a spot.

I don't buy any arguments about taking the place of a younger player. For a World Cup you play your best team.
Main worry to me about the thought of LJ being included is that the schedule is pretty brutal. Backing up night after night might not go too well for her.
On the plus side of that, the Opals have regressed so far since she retired that we're not even certainties to get out of the pool stage, so bombing out quickly would ease the physical load on her body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's kind of a sad reflection on the current state of aussie women's basketball that someone can return from years off due to crippling injuries, at that age, and legitimately make the final 12 without having to force a more deserving player out to make way (which I suspect they would have done, had it been necessary).
The front court is looking pretty healthy. They were right to add depth there as insurance in case LJ does break down, but they've actually gone too far with it IMO and left the guard stocks horribly thin. Such a huge reliance on Whitcomb is foolish.

Anyway congrats to the GOAT.
It really is a remarkable achievement to do what she has just done. I'm stoked that she'll get to go out on her own terms this time, and in front of a home crowd to boot.

It's kind of a sad reflection on the current state of aussie women's basketball that someone can return from years off due to crippling injuries, at that age, and legitimately make the final 12 without having to force a more deserving player out to make way (which I suspect they would have done, had it been necessary).
The front court is looking pretty healthy. They were right to add depth there as insurance in case LJ does break down, but they've actually gone too far with it IMO and left the guard stocks horribly thin. Such a huge reliance on Whitcomb is foolish.

Anyway congrats to the GOAT.
It really is a remarkable achievement to do what she has just done. I'm stoked that she'll get to go out on her own terms this time, and in front of a home crowd to boot.

I reckon it points more to how amazing she is, she's dominated NBL1 since she came back.

Word is she will play next season for the Southside Flyers in the WNBL.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Shattered, I was hoping she would return to the Caps.:(

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back