Laurence Angwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris_23

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2001
La Curva Nord, Milano
Myself and a few other bigfooty regulars ventured out to Optarse Oval yesterday for our Intra-Club practice match. The surprise of the day would have to be seeing Laurence Angwin there as a spectator. Rumour has it Hawthorn are trying to figure out a way for him to play for the Box Hill Hawks this year. I don't like their chances!

Well, I don't know much about the particulars of that happening (whether it would be at all possible), but as a Crows supporter I wouldn't mind.

It seems he has a lot of personal problems and he just hasn't been able fit in here in Adelaide, I can't see him ever playing with the Crows again. Maybe he could star with the Box Hill Hawks (he does have a lot of ability) and Adelaide might be able to get something substantial in a trade at the end of the year....which we could then pass on to Freo in a package for Pavlich.... (I'm getting 'a bit' ahead of myself I think :D )

As I have said before in another thread, it is in the Crows best interests to get Angwin playing again - if this means for the Box Hill Hawks (as opposed to Glenelg) in an environment where he is most confortable, so be it. At least then as Ant mentioned he could be then worth something in a trade, as he won't be worth anything if he is not playing & could loose complete interest in playing. Let hope he wins Box Hill's B&F & demands a trade to the Hawks at the end of the season to put this saga behind the Crows.

Might as well send Handby too, didn't Adelaide recruit them both because they were best mates?

Of course, that can't be worth much considering Angwin just decided to nick off.

Latest rumour I have heard is that the Crows are trying to convince the AFL to allow them to put him on the long term injury list on the basis that he is on "stress leave"

This would allow them to put Rutten on the list who has been impressive but still give them the option of trading Angwin at the end of the year.

AFL have refused as there is no precedent but it would seem to me that he quit because of the pressures of the AFL and the Crows should not have to play one player short and then see him sign up for Hawthorn next year for nothing.

Originally posted by Jars458
Latest rumour I have heard is that the Crows are trying to convince the AFL to allow them to put him on the long term injury list on the basis that he is on "stress leave"

This would allow them to put Rutten on the list who has been impressive but still give them the option of trading Angwin at the end of the year.

AFL have refused as there is no precedent but it would seem to me that he quit because of the pressures of the AFL and the Crows should not have to play one player short and then see him sign up for Hawthorn next year for nothing.

This seems an entirely practical trade-off to me. Angwin can play for Box Hill Hawks this season if Crows are allowed to bring up a rookie in his place, provided that if Angwin wants to go on with footy next year then he must be traded from Crows.

Is Angwin out of contract at the end of the year??

If so then the Crows mightn't get much for him as he can enter the draft and be available to anyone. I think that if a young player signs with a club, then walks out mid-contract they should have to pay back every cent of that contract! If they can't handle getting paid $50 000+ to kick a footy round and act like crybabies then they shouldn't be given any $$$'s at all.

Originally posted by cjwalkley

If so then the Crows mightn't get much for him as he can enter the draft and be available to anyone. I think that if a young player signs with a club, then walks out mid-contract they should have to pay back every cent of that contract! If they can't handle getting paid $50 000+ to kick a footy round and act like crybabies then they shouldn't be given any $$$'s at all.

Angwin was on $80K - that does not include non taxable "allowances" that he thought he was entitled to though.

Anyone else hear that Angwin was pushed by the Crows to leave as he was apparantly a complete nutcase. Alleged off-field incidents include stealing from fellow Crows & Glenelg players & shops, & of course the DD incident. Have heard this from several sources. Could all be BS, but then again ... Hope it is not true, as I would not like the chances of a trade to the Hawks if it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're now doing it on $250,000+, gotta love the progression of footy...

It's only just started gone Halloween and the silly season has begun. I blame Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back