Other Lawn bowls

Been having a gander at the Premier League results and noticed some very interesting names in there.
Teys, Wedlcok, Ferguson, Anderson and Twist. Are these guys here for the whole season or just until their
own Pennant Season kicks off?
Teys is only there until Christmas I heard, with the rumour being that Jeremy Henry will replace him ... Not sure how true the last bit is.

My mate is in the same rink as Twist.

It's getting stronger is the premier league.

We got up against Sunbury on the 2nd last bowl of the game needing two - last rink to finish - to win.

Our skip didn't need to play the last bowl.

Appin Vet

All Australian
Aug 21, 2006
Equitorial Guinea
AFL Club
Collingwood
Teys is only there until Christmas I heard, with the rumour being that Jeremy Henry will replace him ... Not sure how true the last bit is.

My mate is in the same rink as Twist.

It's getting stronger is the premier league.

It definitely is if these types want to come down and play in Melbourne.
Jeremy Henry would be a nice little replacement wouldn't he? HAHAHAHA!!!

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It definitely is if these types want to come down and play in Melbourne.
Jeremy Henry would be a nice little replacement wouldn't he? HAHAHAHA!!!

i think the cash some of the clubs in premier are throwing around might have more to do with it. its quickly becoming a two tier comp where those with are pulling away from those without. its ridiculous that clubs with pokies, bistros and staff can fly in internationals while the majority struggle to find a volunteer on the bar on saturday night.

Appin Vet

All Australian
Aug 21, 2006
Equitorial Guinea
AFL Club
Collingwood
What vicinity are we talking here?
I did hear that Clayton spilt some money into an Internationals' pocket who has been based there for for a while now.
That happened ages ago. So it isn't anything new is it?
Who are the clubs who have, and the clubs who don't have?

Last edited:

Sqotty from office works

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2021
Mclean
AFL Club
Carlton
Lost for first time on weekend.
Shepparton Park has amazing facilities and the second worst green in the competition.
Even bum clubs like ,Kyabram Nagambie Rushworth have better greens.

i think the cash some of the clubs in premier are throwing around might have more to do with it. its quickly becoming a two tier comp where those with are pulling away from those without. its ridiculous that clubs with pokies, bistros and staff can fly in internationals while the majority struggle to find a volunteer on the bar on saturday night.
The council has approved us to get a whole new club built ... 3 greens with two under a dome ...

Design is similar to this.

2020jun17-MSC-meeting-indoor-pool-from-cnr-taverner-and-fisken-sts-bacchus-marsh-aerial-ok.jpg

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What vicinity are we talking here?
I did hear that Clayton spilt some money into an Internationals' pocket who has been based there for for a while now.
That happened ages ago. So it isn't anything new is it?
Who are the clubs who have, and the clubs who don't have?

I dont know the figures that these players are getting, but i doubt theyre flying themselves down to play for free. Id hate to imagine what deer park are paying out this year. Half the clubs in there have bistros and pokies and are function venues, not bowls clubs. No bowls club coming up in to premier ever has a chance of staying up and croydon and lilydale this year are no different. The worst part is some clubs near bankrupt themselves getting up to premier, then dont have the resources to compete, are relegated and half their players leave. Its an unsustainable competition model.

So instead of fixing it, bowls vic instead decide to make premier league the only format they promote. They stream the games, have commentary, do a show every week about it while ignoring the 99% of players that make up the rest of metro. Even worse, they then cut 4 games a year from everyone not playing in premier or division 1, depriving clubs of needed green fees, raffle money and bar sales. By making premier league the biggest thing out, everyone whos any good at a smaller club leaves for it, or anyone young with any ability gets cherry picked to premier clubs via pathways.

I know this is a bit of a gripe at bowls vic as well but anyone who thinks they can go up to premier and compete without pokies, a bistro, a roof or a sugar daddy is absolutely kidding themselves.

Appin Vet

All Australian
Aug 21, 2006
Equitorial Guinea
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah... I feel sorry for the clubs going up into Premier League.
Would be hard to compete with Altona throwing it around like fresh air.
So who else is splashing the cash?
I have a mate who is playing for Bundoora RSL.
He told me what he was getting and it really is peanuts by the time he travels down there.

Sqotty from office works

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2021
Mclean
AFL Club
Carlton
Surprised to read this. Considering all the finals for the Vic Open are there.
I couldn't believe that either.
The skip against me said he hates the green also.
He seems to think they've tried to stretch it and its a complete failure.
He also mentioned they spent another 125000 on it and its still a failure.
He then pointed to the grass and remarked how beautiful it is.
What a shame

Appin Vet

All Australian
Aug 21, 2006
Equitorial Guinea
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am a Country boy from Kerang BC in the Northern District/Mallee Murray Region.
We have played in the last 7 Grand Finals (5-2) and enjoyed 3 years at State Pennant.
Looking to get back in the winners circle.

Sqotty from Officeworks... if you want to experience the best greens in Victoria, get along for a roll up in Kerang.
We really need a 2 day event. In the pipeline I hope.

Sqotty from office works

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2021
Mclean
AFL Club
Carlton
I am a Country boy from Kerang BC in the Northern District/Mallee Murray Region.
We have played in the last 7 Grand Finals (5-2) and enjoyed 3 years at State Pennant.
Looking to get back in the winners circle.

Sqotty from Officeworks... if you want to experience the best greens in Victoria, get along for a roll up in Kerang.
We really need a 2 day event. In the pipeline I hope.
Our Goulburn Valley greens are grouse throughout the district.
It's only the so called Vic champ club that thinks because of their stature that a s**t green is ok.
Most of there divvy one players hate it and beg to be on the grass.

Ballarat Bob

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Just spoke to my mate at Deer Park. They lose Teys and get Alex Marshall..
I feel sorry for anyone in Deer Parks second side who wants to play premiers....looks like they have an open checkbook to sign players left right and centre. Would surprise me if it's Marshall well not until after the pbs world championships in January.
I am glad we have a clause in our constitution that the club can't pay players (not that we have pokies tab etc to fund it) it would ruin the club.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
State Pairs coming up here in WA after Christmas.

Surprise first-time entrant: David Wirrpanda

Back