Prediction Lay it on the Line: Best of the 22 and Unders

Who will be the best of the players currently aged 22 and under?

• Tom Murphy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Cam Zurhaar

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Nick Larkey

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Tristan Xerri

• Will Walker

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Kyron Hayden

• Luke Davies-Uniacke

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Tarryn Thomas

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Curtis Taylor

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Joel Crocker

• Bailey Scott

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK, get your prediction making hat out. You get to nominate the three players from this list that you think will be the best of the lot BUT it's obligatory that if you vote you have to post in the thread and rank the three you nominate PLUS give your explanation for your rankings.

I think this is an interesting question for where these players are at in their careers. None of them are yet to make an All Australian side or even win a Syd Barker but there are many with very good performances on the board and a couple with clearly evident skills. I've not included the 2019 draft class because they haven't had a chance to play professional games against men, this also avoids the shiny new toy phenomenon. Otherwise all listed players 22 or under are named.

Let the mass debate begin!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The 3rd vote was tricky.

Of course, the mids are massively favored in most things, including this.

1) Thomas, 2) Simpkin 3) Scott (in a coin toss with LDU)

However, I reckon 9 of them will make it as 100+ game players provided injury doesn't intervene.

The best young group on our list since..........:think:.........the early to mid 90's.(now THAT'S a call)

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Tarryn Thomas. If you don't see it then you haven't watched enough footy.
2. Jy Simpkin. Best attribute is his drive. Doesn't hurt that he has a lethal sidestep and great game sense. Will make it as an elite AFL mid.
3. Cam Zurhaar. As Snake says the third choice is the hardest after last year's performances. Though he had an indifferent pre-season and worried me that he might drop off this year I'm still backing him to be a very very good player for us.

3 - TT: Even if he doesn't reach his full potential, the talent is too much to ignore

2 - Jy: I think he will gradually improve as a midfielder over the next 2-4 years... and then has the ability to transition into a dangerous half-forward later in his career

1 - SouvaLarkey: (Just ahead of Zurhaar). I think his career will basically mimic Drew Petrie's, albeit a little slower due to the existence of BBB. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he ends up #2.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mahoney, Perez & Comben?

Anyway, reasons for my rankings.

1) Thomas, 2) Simpkin 3) Scott (in a coin toss with LDU)

1) Thomas: X factor up the wazoo. Could end up a top 5 AFL player.
2) Simpkin: Work rate & dedication will meet up with the talent. He arrives this year.
3) Scott: Everything I posted here:

The kid has the entire skill set. All he's waiting on is some more size & conditioning. I expect him to become an Andrew Gaff type stat accumulator.

LDU missed out due to his OP issues, and slower leg speed, but he could end up the best of the lot.

I would pick LDU first , Thomas second and Simpkin 3rd. The good thing is I could have easily put Scott or Larkey in there amongst a few of the others on the list. We have a good young core group coming through hopefully.
Go The Mighty Roos

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
I’m not the best judge of manflesh, but here goes.

1. TT
2. Jy
3. Souva

3 was a tossup with Taylor - I went with Souva based on a guess about his longevity and consistency.
LDU is the wildcard for me. He’s a slow burn who could be anything from serviceable to superstar.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Thomas (He is going to wreck games regularly)
2. Taylor (I have a very good feeling about this kid)
3. Simpkin (He has already shown what he is capable of. If 3 players go ahead of him, we will be doing very well for ourselves)

LDU is stiff to miss out and could easily be swapped for Taylor.

I have high hopes for the likes of Larkey, Zurharr, Scott, Bonar, but I don’t think they will reach the heights of the group above.

Jury is still out on the newcomers and Walker who hasn’t been able to get on the park.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
= 1. Thomas- Has all the tricks, is tough so just requires application to be a star

= 1. Taylor - He is a match winner, can do it all and will go into the midfield rotations and change with the other = number 1 above.

3. LDU - I think he will explode over his next 10 games.

I really wanted to fit in Zuhraar, Larkey or Scott.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I reckon we’ve got 4 who have the ability to be absolutely elite. All have the ability to change the course of a game.

1. Simpkin - I’ve put him on top as he’s the closest to fulfilling it. He’s already bossed games last year and he was huge in Rd1. Will be our talisman for a long time.

2. Thomas

3. Davies-Uniacke

Taylor is the other and I think he’s got as much, if not more, raw talent than all of them. I’ve put the others just ahead as they will be the fulcrum of our midfield for the next decade.

Very keen to see Perez as he seems to have the attributes to join them.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 - Thomas

Not even close. Has the sort of talent that nobody could stuff up. That candy sell on Bontempelli shows you the level he can get to.

2 - Larkey

Mainly because of how hard it is to find key forwards. Has been on a consistent upward development curve which I'd expect to continue.

3 - Scott

Haven't seen enough of him really, but from what I've observed he has that game sense that you can't teach - but unlike many others also has the skills to back it up.

Zurhaar close, but I don't think he has the same improvement in him as these three.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers
1. TT
2. LDU
3. Jy

Taylor unlucky.

Cam and Larkey could also be anything.

Bonar, Walker and Scott (plus Perez) are the wild cards due to injuries.

Exciting times.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Not sure if you can compare 20 year old midfielder statistics. Disposal numbers are a lot more inflated these days what with the modern "ball control" game.
It was another NMBF member who made the Judd comparison, so without any of my own homework whatsoever I believed them, they sounded so convincing..

Back