Prediction Lay it on the Line: Best of the 22 and Unders

Who will be the best of the players currently aged 22 and under?

• Tom Murphy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Cam Zurhaar

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Nick Larkey

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Tristan Xerri

• Will Walker

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Kyron Hayden

• Luke Davies-Uniacke

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Tarryn Thomas

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Curtis Taylor

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Joel Crocker

• Bailey Scott

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was another NMBF member who made the Judd comparison, so without any of my own homework whatsoever I believed them, they sounded so convincing..
That's just my opinion. I'm not sure if everyone would agree. Clearance and contested ball numbers are probably still good to compare. There are more stoppages in the modern game too but you still have to win that ball yourself.

Thomas
Simpkin
Taylor

In that order (for now).

First two must be obvious. Thomas has talent, Simpkin has a little less talent but is showing application and effort and appears to be working hard.

Last choice could have been from about six of them. Taylor obviously based on a tiny sample but if that's what he is capable of he will be a match winner.

He had a significant influence on the St Kilda game but only had 10 possessions. To be fair it was only his third senior game. So 10 possessions on a forward flank with three marks and a goal is pretty good for a third game.

What stood out for me was the nature of those possessions. Where and when they happened, and in a few cases what they led to. He made things happen and we got least two goals from what started with his individual efforts and he kicked one himself. And the two tackles that led to free kicks. He was crucial. If that is what he can bring throughout his career he will be famous.

Thomas actually plays periods like this as well and he does it regularly, not quite every game yet, but Taylor's efforts were really in the right place and right time to turn the game.

Might even deserve number two on the spot eventually.

LDU - haven't seen enough really to get that third spot. He has shown tantalising glimpses of what he can do but hasn't turned a match for us or played the sort of games Jy has. He needs a clear run at it for 10 games. I reserve the right to fit him in and withhold judgement till then if that happens.

He hadn't had as clear a run at it as Tarryn despite his extra year on the list.

Zurhaar is limited but will give us excellent value. Larkey could be as good as Brown. Maybe better if he takes on Brown's work ethic. Bailey Scott won the Rising Star in his first game too. And in his junior year he showed a lot. If he wasn't committed to us I think clubs might have chased him first round. I have a funny feeling Kyron Haydon will be a great player if he finally gets a good shot at it, a Cunners type bull eventually but maybe quicker - the kid is a unit and credited his jumping record to all the core strength work he did.

If he has the vision and skills that stength will be really important and he could be great.

In fact the beauty of that whole list, and the players we drafted last year, is they are all very complementary players. And a lot of them could be very good. If we get this right well have a very good decade.

But at this stage the top two pick themselves. Thomas is genuinely special, he could be anything, and Simpkin will be one if the hottest young players in the comp if he finishes the season in the sort of form he's played during his best games. He has played very good footy in our best wins last year and so far this year. If he averages a 1.5 goals and 25+ for the last half of the season, has five or more 30 plus games for the year and kicks a few memorable goals along the way and we do all right he'll get a bit of hype.

I mean yeh, if Simpkin won the Brownlow last year he would be tracking the same as Judd.

Jy winning it this year is not completely beyond reason, and even winning it next year would still be okay IMO.

He's got the ability to get the ball and naturally be evasive and creative. If he gets a good start - a couple of high possession games against good sides and we win, think of V Collingwood last year. Especially if he kicks regular goals and does some dynamic, creative bullshit (which he often does,) then the umps might start looking for him.

He'd need to kick three or four times as many goals as last year and be regularly spectacular. And have a good season in the middle. We haven't had a young player do that for a while. It's probably unlikely but it's not unreasonable for Jy right now and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he won a Brownlow at some point. He is an eye catching player, not many move like him.

I hold similar views to many in that this is the most impressive crop of youngsters I have seen in decades.

For me, TT, Simpkin and LDU are the outstanding three, in that they have the highest ceilings. I expect TT to be a dominant player in the league in the coming years so have him on top. Simpkin has been the welcome surprise to me, in that he has quickly gone from a half-forward with tricks to a starting mid even being talked up as a future skipper, suggesting he has a lot of belief and presence to go with his ability. LDU has just offered glimpses, but he seems to have several more gears and just needs an injury-free run to stamp his mark.

Larkey and Zurhaar are on the next level, but have already become critical parts of the 22, which says plenty about how quickly they have developed.

I agree with SB about Scott and like LDU he just needs a clear run at it and time to build up. Can see him claiming a wing for years to come and running opponents into the ground.

Will Walker and Curtis Taylor could both be anything. Xerri has come of age this pre-season as Goldy's successor and noticeably there's no chatter about concerns if Goldy goes down this year. Bonar would be a bonus if he kicks on. And of the new kids, I sense that we might be talking about Comben and Perez in this list before long.

Usually, it's been a case of just getting carried away with 2 or 3 kids each season since the 90s premiership years, but this group has quality I haven't seen since that time and its a big group.

Simpkin - safe bet. Already AFL standard and has a lot more improvement in him.

TT- Pure thoroughbred, pick of the yard in terms of ability and potential.

Zurhaar- with a lot of players they’re either bulls who go hard or speedy finesse but aren’t very physical. Zurhaar is both a Bull and has finesse. Rare combo. Only question is on his consistency

3 isn't enough. The counting of the number should be 5!

But anyway,

Tarryn, obviously. Although seeing as he'll be playing for Richmond next year, I guess that leaves a spot open.

Forrr..

Larkey. My true top pick. He's the Renaissance Forward. More accurate in front of goal than even BBB at this early stage, he'll take the Coleman in the next couple years at this rate and write a song about it too. And living with the Zurhaar has no doubt fired up a little anger in the contest in him, as evidenced a few times already. He's not quite the surprise dribbling goaler or scooping the ground ball link option that BBB has shown, but I think he'll be more difficult to target in three on ones in front of goal. He'll be the Drew Petrie that I never really got see play at his peak. Which makes me sad and happy all at the same time.

Curtis Taylor. From the tiny sampling we've seen of this kid, he will be a game changer. He's got all the smarts and skill that Will Walker showed in his all too brief debut, only amped up several notches, and so far, with proven consistency. Very excited about this kid. Very smart, very skilled, very composed, and most importantly, completely fearless. Which is a lot of the same that I liked so much about young Will Walker too. Except that it cost him a knee dammit.

Will Walker. See above!
Nah, I love this kid. He's going to be our x-factor guy. The one who looks all innocent and harmless and then comes out of nowhere with the sneak brilliant plays. Only saw him play 2 games, but he knew exactly where he needed to be, every single time. I think he's got every bit as good a footy brain as Tarryn, but I don't think he's going to get as much attention paid to him, cos he's not as flash in how he moves. And that will be his secret weapon! To be in the right spots out of nowhere, all the time, because no one was watching him, or expecting him. I hope he still has his fearlessness too, to throw himself into the contests like before. I feel like injuries can sometimes kill that in a player. Like Wood before he got concussed. Lukey Mac before he did his hamstring. I dunno. Both those guys seemed different after. Hope that doesn't happen to Walker though, because he really was so full of blind faith, flying into the fray.

One more -

My other personal fave - Bailey Scott.

Hope he shaves his head again, because he looks like an absolute psychopath running you down when he does. Tenacity in spades, and just will not ever give up. If he's chasing you, he will get you. Know that. There will be no escaping him when he's on your Wing, ever. I think he will be a major pain in the behinds to a lot of opposition players in years to come, and I will enjoy every second of it. The more he develops, there's not going to be many who will be able to get around him. And I mean it about the hair. (Priorities!)

LDU and Jy will of course be stars in their own rights. Jy especially. But I sort of see them both as players who need to get a little more confidence, or at least more comfortable in their head spaces out there. They both have natural skills in absolute spades, but what sets apart the others whom I have chosen is that they all seem so comfortable in their own skins already. There's an unconsciousness about how they go about it. And I think that's what allows them to just open right up to their instincts and just flow in how they play. Perhaps maybe Larkey isn't quite the same with that of the bunch, but I think that's just because he is a true Renaissance human being. There's just so much going on in there all at once, he's like a kaleidoscope. With ample room for great footy.

The Zurhaar is brilliant, but his brilliance will not be what he's remembered for, I don't think. It'll be his fear factor, his delicate brutality, his swagger, and the reckless and aggressive joy he brings to his game. And every now and then he'll pepper in a 5 goal match, just to remind us that he's got the talent to be whatever he wants to too. I think our birthdays are a day apart, so he's a Gemini like me. We're kind of all over the map. But it's okay.

So much to look forward to! Time for us all to cut ourselves out of our Covid cocoons and get this footy started. Plus I want to see Japser play in his new hair colour.

Go our Mighty Roos!! :footy: 🦘🦘

Last edited:
Whoa -It’s like a Melbourne cup field , so many chances to put on your trifecta. Mouthwatering for our future.

1.Thomas looks a class above but needs more consistency and that will come in time.

2.Jy looks like the stevo of this team with a few more tricks - he really wants it. Looks a leader and has a cool head.

3.I went LDU on potential and a guy we really need to my air it if we’re going to do anything.

Just think of this core of youngsters coming through will be led by the above three. Then you add zurhaar , larkey, Walker , Taylor , Scott , Bonar and the future looks so bright
Just need a key back and ruck for the future

1. LDU - Whilst he hasn't shown as much as some of the others yet, I just like what I see with LDU. All he needs is time to physically develop so that he can go into beast mode, which is going to take another good 3 preseasons to achieve. But he will gradually get better with each season and I genuinely think that from age 25-30 LDU will be in the top 5 players in the game.

2. Simpkin - Has already shown he can dominate games and just needs to keep on improving and getting more consistent, which I think he will. Is a goal kicker too, which is such an important addition to a midfielder's repertoire. Think he will be a top 20 player in the game, with potential to be top 10.

3. TT - Has the most raw talent of anyone on our list and, arguably, anyone in the league. Have no doubt that he will show brilliance and win games off his own boot so many times for us over the coming years, but I'm not sure yet if he will be as prolific on a consistent basis like I think LDU and Simpkin will be. If TT reaches his potential he could be the best player in the game. But he could also turn out to be top 30 only.

What we have seen so often from Premiers since forever is they usually have multiple superstars in their team and LDU, Simpkin and TT are the ones that offer us that. But they also need a strong support cast and that is also what's so exciting about our young group coming through. I really rate Larkey, Walker and Taylor, with Zurhaar and Scott not far behind, but together they balance out our side so well. Don't recall us ever having such a complimentary group of young players on our list. Here's an example of our 2025 team with the players nominated for this thread and our 2019 draftees:

B: Murphy - X - Crocker
HB: Perez - X - X
C: Walker - LDU - Scott
HF: Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
F: Mahony - Comben - X
Foll: Xerri - TT - Simpkin
Int: Bonar - Hayden - X - X

(Other players that could still be on the list aged 30 or under are McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, McKay, Durdin, Turner, EVW, Hosie & McGuinness.)

That's a very balanced side and obviously numerous drafts and trade periods to address deficiencies, in particular in the backline and small forward roles, between now and then. If we can nail 3 picks this year with a top midfielder, key back and small forward, we are looking soooo good.

TT reaches his potential he could be the best player in the game. But he could also turn out to be top 30 only.

I reckon if he finishes a top 30 player, it is still a win. We don’t find these. Last 10 years.

Godly for a year. Probably brown Tarrant Cunnington and Huggins would sneak in to the top 30 of the Comp at their best.

I reckon if he finishes a top 30 player, it is still a win. We don’t find these. Last 10 years.

Godly for a year. Probably brown Tarrant Cunnington and Huggins would sneak in to the top 30 of the Comp at their best.
Agreed. For the last 10 years or more we’ve certainly had our fair share of players in the top 50-100, but not enough (any) that have been top 20-30 for an extended period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin
Thomas
Larkey

Easy to pick the top two. Both have the potential to be elite. I was tossing up between Larkey, Zurhaar and LDU for the third spot. Decided on Larkey, a good mark and a straight kick. I think he will kick a lot of goals over the course of his career.

Simpkin
Thomas
Larkey

Easy to pick the top two. Both have the potential to be elite. I was tossing up between Larkey, Zurhaar and LDU for the third spot. Decided on Larkey, a good mark and a straight kick. I think he will kick a lot of goals over the course of his career.

Yeah it wasn’t easy to just pick 3. Made me realise that if all goes well we’ve got good depth of young and upcoming players. I already felt that but the realisation that nearly everyone of them has shown something, even the blokes with a small sample size like Taylor, Walker or Scott have really impressed when they got a game.

In about 5 years

1. Thomas will be best player in the comp.

2. Simpkin will be our most skilled captain since Carey.

3. Taylor will be kicking bags and setting up just as many from nothing.

Stiff to not be in the top 3 LDU and Larkey.

Really bullish on Walker, Zurhaar and Scott being major contributors.

Hoping EVW and Kyron will return playing as they were before injury.

Murphy, Crocker, Bonar and Xerri all have tools to make it and wouldn't be surprised if they're still about in 2025.

So many players who are very capable.

Last edited:
When you look at Simpkin, LDU, TT, Zurhaar, Larkey, Bonar, Walker, Hayden, McKay, Taylor, Crocker, Scott, Perez, Mahony and Comben, and realize we have 2 x 1st round picks this year, then I reckon we can be optomistic about the rebuild we undertook at the end of 2016.

If we can snag a ruckman & KPD, then we have the bones of a pretty good side forming here.

When you look at Simpkin, LDU, TT, Zurhaar, Larkey, Bonar, Walker, Hayden, McKay, Taylor, Crocker, Scott, Perez, Mahony and Comben, and realize we have 2 x 1st round picks this year, then I reckon we can be optomistic about the rebuild we undertook at the end of 2016.

If we can snag a ruckman & KPD, then we have the bones of a pretty good side forming here.
Xerri looks a decent ruck prospect

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Xerri looks a decent ruck prospect

Nice palmer, but I want a better look at him at AFL level.

McKay is still only 22 also.

Players currently 25 and under (bold = 2020 draft)

B: McDonald, McKay/Durdin, Vickers-Willis
HB: Perez, Grainger-Barrass/Reid, Crocker
C: Scott, Davies-Uniake, Dumont
HF: Zurhaar, Comben, Walker
F: Mahony, Larkey, Taylor
R: Xerri, Thomas, Simpkin
I: Tilthorpe/Midfielder, Bonar, Hayden, Turner, Murphy, Ahern, Hosie

1 TT
2 Larkey
3 Scott

TT has insane talent. Quality over quantity with him. You watch other clubs come hard.

When you consider how much nous, composure and talent he has already shown, Larkey should be one of the best KPF going around in a few seasons.

Scott has an intensity about him you just know that he'll be the real deal given his talent. He just has that premiership feel to him.

Been raving about our young players to my mates for a while now.
Super excited to have so many coming along at the same time. Some very astute recruiting by the club and some luck to have a gem like TT on our Tassie academy list.
For me
1 TT talent in spades with the right amount of mongrel
2 Souva How amazing is it to have 2 straight kicking big forwards on the list.
If BBB's work ethic is going to rub of Souva he is going to be near unstoppable.
3 Went for Jy, but could have Taylor, Cam, LDU WW . Jy got the nod since he is the most advanced of them all and could be a future captain.
With Perez, combden and 2 first rnd draft picks this year everyone should be very very excited about the next decade.

TT, Jy and Larkey.

TT can be absolutely anything. Has class in abundance and could genuinely go on to be one of the best players in the game (not that he'll ever be recognised as such, playing for us...).

Jy is a freak footballer. Absolute steal at pick 11 (from memory?). His footwork is sensational and he's starting to rack up the possessions. Could be a case of quality AND quantity.

Key forwards with hands and a set shot like Souva don't grow on trees. Going to be very important for us over the next decade or longer.

Leaving some kids off this list that I'm pretty bullish about too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Back