LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

From South Africa. (great article)

BRING HOME THE FAT! CALL BY TOP UK DOCTORS, DIETITIANS

It’s official and from Britain’s highest medical and dietetic levels: government-sanctioned dietary guidelines really are making you fat and sick.

The low-fat, lower-cholesterol messages doctors and dietitians have given you for the past 40 years is proving to be the “biggest mistake in modern medical history”. It is one that has had “devastating consequences for public health” globally.

In a powerful public statement just released by UK National Obesity Forum (NOF) in association with the Public Health Collaboration (PHC), the country’s leading doctors, dietitians and scientists say: Eating fat doesn’t make you fat; saturated fat doesn’t cause heart disease; to avoid type 2 diabetes, avoid “low-fat” foods, foods “proven to lower cholesterol”, high omega-6 polyunsaturated vegetable oils and starchy and refined carbohydrates. And you must stop counting calories.

http://foodmed.net/2016/05/23/bring-home-the-fat-call-uk-doctors-dietitians-lchf-banting/

By proxy, anyone eating more fat and cutting down on carbs is likely to eat less calories overall due to the satiety that a diet consisting of fats provides vs a carb-heavy diet. The overall calorie argument is not central to the overall discussion over the composition of a "healthy" diet.

By proxy, anyone eating more fat and cutting down on carbs is likely to eat less calories overall due to the satiety that a diet consisting of fats provides vs a carb-heavy diet. The overall calorie argument is not central to the overall discussion over the composition of a "healthy" diet.

Yeah but calorie counters don't realise they can eat low cal(below maintenance) & if it's the wrong foods you can still put on fat without gaining weight.

It just makes sense. Indisputable.

This thread has nearly been up for 3 years, and back when it started lot of interesting guests were having fun criticising it as a "Fad"
This fad is sweeing the world at an alarming rate and is showing no signs of slowing, the UK National Obesity Forum has all but legitimised it for serious discussion.
DAA are shitting high carb bricks.

Last edited:
This thread has nearly been up for 3 years, and back when it started lot of interesting guests were having fun criticising it as a "Fad"
This fad is sweeing the world at an alarming rate and is showing no signs of slowing, the UK National Obesity Forum has all but legitimised it for serious discussion.
DAA are shitting high carb bricks.

They soon promote anything that's a threat a Fad to throw the sheep of the scent.
Fools
Average
Diet

Shock, horror, Australian Dieticians furiously protecting their turf, reputations and cosy relationships.

Advice to eat more fat slammed by experts

Advice to eat more fat to reverse obesity and type 2 diabetes has been strongly challenged by Australia's dieticians.

The Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA), which has 5900 members, defended the Australian Dietary Guidelines - similar to those in other countries - saying they were evidence-based and provide a framework for healthy eating.

Advice to eat more fat slammed by experts

some interesting information re LCHF. my 53 year old brother is a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed as such 30 years ago. he has been getting sick of all the carbs he had been told he needs to eat so went to his doctor to see what he could do and he recommended the LCHF lifestyle (he is doing the strict version), he has been on it now for just on 3 weeks and says he has never felt better and has lost 3 1/2 kilos in that time, something he has always found impossible to do. he has been monitoring his blood sugar levels up to 10 times a day to make sure everything is going OK which it has. his wife has gone on it with him and she has reported the same benefits ie. more energy and weight loss.

edit: warning anecdotal, has not been peer reviewed:). consult your own medical professional before embarking on this method.

Last edited:
some interesting information re LCHF. my 53 year old brother is a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed as such 30 years ago. he has been getting sick of all the carbs he had been told he needs to eat so went to his doctor to see what he could do and he recommended the LCHF lifestyle (he is doing the strict version), he has been on it now for just on 3 weeks and says he has never felt better and has lost 3 1/2 kilos in that time, something he has always found impossible to do. he has been monitoring his blood sugar levels up to 10 times a day to make sure everything is going OK which it has. his wife has gone on it with him and she has reported the same benefits ie. more energy and weight loss.
Yeah but, no but, yeah but no but you see what you're doing there is just stoo-pid coz you know like it's just anecdotal...

Don't you realise that you have to go by the outdated evidence base that the mega corporations have spent a lot of time and money fabricating?

In all seriousness, good on your brother and indeed his GP, who is obviously a rare doctor in the know. Mainstream doctors are well-trained monkeys who push and pull the levers for the pharmaceutical industry, eschewing the use of their own intellect to understand biochemistry in favour of towing the evidence based guidelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but, no but, yeah but no but you see what you're doing there is just stoo-pid coz you know like it's just anecdotal...

Don't you realise that you have to go by the outdated evidence base that the mega corporations have spent a lot of time and money fabricating?

In all seriousness, good on your brother and indeed his GP, who is obviously a rare doctor in the know. Mainstream doctors are well-trained monkeys who push and pull the levers for the pharmaceutical industry, eschewing the use of their own intellect to understand biochemistry in favour of towing the evidence based guidelines.
thank you, have edited my post.

thank you, have edited my post.
Lol, good on you for adding that especially since I had my tongue firmly in my cheek :D

Ironically, the fact that there are so many individual anecdotal cases of people changing one or two things (such as your brother and his wife) and finding both immediate and sustained benefits is actually high quality evidence. It is indeed scientific (even if not absolutely precise) especially if they have not changed much else in their lives at the same time.

The problem the industry has with applying such anecdotal evidence is that they cannot possibly demonstrate or prove that people in these individual cases didn't change other factors, such as level of exercise, going to the beach more often, or other changes to lifestyle such as no longer smoking or eating packaged sauces (deliberately made that last one seemingly less significant, because the scientific method aims to absolutely control for all little factors in order to find reproducible results that may be reliably extrapolated to the broader population).

By the way, I assume they are using good quality fats/oils such as coconut oil, grass-fed butter and ghee if they're not vegan, and cold-pressed monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils such as olive, avocado & macadamia (ie. not canola...NO ONE should eat canola oil).

This thread is truly fantastic. I am so heartened by knowing more people are looking into such changes. I have been an advocate of these things for about a decade.

Lol, good on you for adding that especially since I had my tongue firmly in my cheek :D

Ironically, the fact that there are so many individual anecdotal cases of people changing one or two things (such as your brother and his wife) and finding both immediate and sustained benefits is actually high-level evidence. It's actually quite scientific (even if not precise) especially if they have not changed much else in their lives at the same time.

The problem the industry has with applying such anecdotal evidence is that they cannot possibly demonstrate or prove that people in these individual cases didn't change other factors, such as level of exercise, going to the beach more often, or other changes to lifestyle such as no longer smoking or eating packaged sauces (deliberately made that last one seemingly less significant, because the scientific method aims to absolutely control for all little factors in order to find reproducible results that may be reliably extrapolated to the broader population).

By the way, I assume they are using good quality fats/oils such as coconut oil, grass-fed butter and ghee if they're not vegan, and cold-pressed monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils such as olive, avocado & macadamia (ie. not canola...NO ONE should eat canola oil).

This thread is truly fantastic.
yep- what works for you is a grossly under rated method.

the one problem with peer review is that it can take quite a few years from clinical trials through peer review then onto practical application.

they are following the LCHF method as you state in your final paragraph.

yep- what works for you is a grossly under rated method.

the one problem with peer review is that it can take quite a few years from clinical trials through peer review then onto practical application.
This is one of the major problems, but could be excused if it were absolutely bullet-proof evidence. Unfortunately this is not always the case, especially as it pertains to dietary (ie. non-pharmacological) information. The fact that the anti-saturated fat paradigm was based on, at best, faulty or incomplete analysis, or at worst, downright corrupt manipulation, of the Ancel Keys study is testament to this.

The computer says NO

This is one of the major problems, but could be excused if it were absolutely bullet-proof evidence. Unfortunately this is not always the case, especially as it pertains to dietary (ie. non-pharmacological) information. The fact that the anti-saturated fat paradigm was based on, at best, faulty or incomplete analysis, or at worst, downright corrupt manipulation, of the Ancel Keys study is testament to this.
agree- my son is in the final year of a science degree at USQ and he told me you always dig deeper into the peer review process and determine who are the financial backers of the trials/results, they are usually published in the full versions of Pubmed. another problem is results not making it into journals etc. because the results didn't confirm what the the backers hoped it would.

just did a quick search on Pubmed and found this one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26965765

where is Bazzar this and the diet and nutrition thread seem to be devoid of information and lively discussion the last month or so.

never do much posting on here compared to others but i quite often come to look and learn.

#bringbackBazzar

where is Bazzar this and the diet and nutrition thread seem to be devoid of information and lively discussion the last month or so.

never do much posting on here compared to others but i quite often come to look and learn.

#bringbackBazzar
in the mean time add the following people to your twitter feed

Tim Noakes - @ProfTimNoakes
Grant Schofield - @grantsnz
Andreas Eenfeldt - @dietdoctor1
Peter Brukner - @PeterBrukner
Peter Attia - @PeterAttiaMD
Caryn Zinn - @CarynZinn
Maryanne Demasi - @MaryanneDemasi
Nina Teicholz - @bigfatsurprise
Gary Taubes - @garytaubes
Damon Gameau - @damongameau

that should satisfy your appetite for information and keep you busy until Bazzar gets active again.

Last edited:
in the mean time add the following people to your twitter feed and read some of the stuff they post and link to

Tim Noakes - @ProfTimNoakes
Grant Schofield - @grantsnz
Andreas Eenfeldt - @dietdoctor1
Peter Brukner - @PeterBrukner
Peter Attia - @PeterAttiaMD
Caryn Zinn - @CarynZinn
Maryanne Demasi - @MaryanneDemasi
Nina Teicholz - @bigfatsurprise
Gary Taubes - @garytaubes
Damon Gameau - @damongameau

that should satisfy your appetite for information and keep you busy until Bazzar gets active again.
thanks for the info. the only form of social media i am on is BF. no facebook, twitter etc.. only have a mobile phone under protest, for emergency purposes. old bastard set in my ways who only came on BF after a tip from my son because of my love of the lions and didn't even stumble on this section of BF untill a few months ago, hardly ever ventured off the lions board for a while.

Bazzar seemed to not only post interesting links and comments but stimulated lively discussion as well.

thanks for the info. the only form of social media i am on is BF. no facebook, twitter etc.. only have a mobile phone under protest, for emergency purposes. old bastard set in my ways who only came on BF after a tip from my son because of my love of the lions and didn't even stumble on this section of BF untill a few months ago, hardly ever ventured off the lions board for a while.

Bazzar seemed to not only post interesting links and comments but stimulated lively discussion as well.
The trolls barely get banned and the quality posters often do. I have now gone with the fight club rules when it comes to talking about my diet.

The trolls barely get banned and the quality posters often do. I have now gone with the fight club rules when it comes to talking about my diet.
yep, i've had a re read over the last dozen or so pages of this and the diet and nutrition thread and i did't see anything i would consider too abusive or derogatory, certainly nothing i would consider ban worthy when you look at what is let go in other threads on occasion. must be a few thin skins on the health and fitness board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back