LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Started watching fat head last week (free on youtube ftw), although some parts of it were good I found Tom Naughton to be a bit insufferable.

There was one statement he made I found particularly interesting regarding obesity being a symptom of high blood sugar as opposed to it being related to a high calorie diet.

Is there any evidence to back up this claim?

Started watching fat head last week (free on youtube ftw), although some parts of it were good I found Tom Naughton to be a bit insufferable.

There was one statement he made I found particularly interesting regarding obesity being a symptom of high blood sugar as opposed to it being related to a high calorie diet.

Is there any evidence to back up this claim?

Did he propose a mechanism or provide evidence for obesity being a symptom of high blood sugar? Physiologically it makes zero sense because you can't end up with more body mass than you started off with without being in an energy surplus regardless of how high your blood sugar (or insulin) is. Improvements in insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control almost always occur when BF% is decreased in the obese, but not always the other way around (as in you can improve insulin sensitivity + BG control through exercise w/o losing weight, which shouldn't happen if weight gain is a symptom of high BG).

Did he propose a mechanism or provide evidence for obesity being a symptom of high blood sugar? Physiologically it makes zero sense because you can't end up with more body mass than you started off with without being in an energy surplus regardless of how high your blood sugar (or insulin) is. Improvements in insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control almost always occur when BF% is decreased in the obese, but not always the other way around (as in you can improve insulin sensitivity + BG control through exercise w/o losing weight, which shouldn't happen if weight gain is a symptom of high BG).

Didn't really mention a mechanism I can remember.

His angle was more along the lines of "how do you explain skinny folks who eat a calorie surplus every day". But I guess a super high metabolism explains that.

are you LCHF damo?

Yeah I try to be when I bother to cook proper meals, but I also pound the energy drinks and chips and chocolate way too often in between, have too many takeaways, get too little sleep, and eat too irregularly to notice any difference to wellbeing, energy or weight.

Last edited:
43b.jpg

Happy V-Day low-carbers! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three and a half years ago this thread started and a hand full of posters embraced, and more than a handful ridiculed it.

Fast forward to current day and the CSIRO have endorsed it as a legitimate diet template for metabolic syndrome, obesity and more importantly type 2 reversal, and last week long time Low carb critic Professor *Tim Crowe said in an interview-

" Question -Do you believe that dietitians should be more open to low carb diets for people with insulin resistance depending on the individual?

Answer - is absolutely, yes. As evidence grows, we should change our viewpoint over time. And with low carbohydrate diets, while they are not a cure-all as being promoted on social media with anecdotes, the evidence shows that they can be just as effective, and perhaps more effective in some people especially with type 2 diabetes, than traditional dietary approaches."

Times are a changing.

* Sad he has spent the last 12 yeas as senior lecturer at Deakin advising students "against" low carb.
No wonder they are currently so active on social media slamming low carb as a genuine alternative to the ADG

Avocado + Chia seed shakes and drinking EV Olive Oil has become the regular for me. It's too hard to do low carb all the time though.

Sugar (carbs) is short term energy... common sense tells me this isn't how we were suppose to function. Fats on the other hand... I could go 3/4 of a day on two tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Avocado + Chia seed shakes and drinking EV Olive Oil has become the regular for me. It's too hard to do low carb all the time though.

Sugar (carbs) is short term energy... common sense tells me this isn't how we were suppose to function. Fats on the other hand... I could go 3/4 of a day on two tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Avo, chia and EV is as good as it gets. Also chia shits on dairy for calcium.

(disclaimer, yes I have A2 cream and cheese)

I love chia, I usually have them in some breakfast concoction with some nuts and yoghurt... except, oddly, they seem to uh... clog me up.

It could be I don't drink enough water when I'm having them (though I certainly don't skimp on water), especially as I don't exactly soak them for longer than a few minutes usually, but yeah. If I go off them for a few days my loo stops return to normal.

I love chia, I usually have them in some breakfast concoction with some nuts and yoghurt... except, oddly, they seem to uh... clog me up.

It could be I don't drink enough water when I'm having them (though I certainly don't skimp on water), especially as I don't exactly soak them for longer than a few minutes usually, but yeah. If I go off them for a few days my loo stops return to normal.
Also great for thickening sauce.

Also great for thickening sauce.
:D Very true.

Anyway I think when I first posted in this thread I'd lost 18 kg. It's now at about 25kg and I'm basically in maintenance, weight-wise. Been hitting the weights more and generally improving body composition.

Family around me are always in a weird state of not being able to help notice how wildly successful my transformation on this lifestyle has been, and yet still look at what I do as kooky. Go figure.

:D Very true.

Anyway I think when I first posted in this thread I'd lost 18 kg. It's now at about 25kg and I'm basically in maintenance, weight-wise. Been hitting the weights more and generally improving body composition.

Family around me are always in a weird state of not being able to help notice how wildly successful my transformation on this lifestyle has been, and yet still look at what I do as kooky. Go figure.
Brilliant :)

Love your location, bathing in avo :)

LCHF works for me and it has made a massive positive difference to my 55 year old type 1 diabetic brother who went strict LCHF about a year ago. has lost a lot of weight and cut his injections by 75%.

LCHF works for me and it has made a massive positive difference to my 55 year old type 1 diabetic brother who went strict LCHF about a year ago. has lost a lot of weight and cut his injections by 75%.
I love the type 1 stories. I know it cannot be cured or reversed but t1 low carbers report a huge reduction in the "industrial" doses of insulin required. Sounds similar to your brother.

Ingesting pink hymalayan salt during they day will increase energy levels, 3rd of teaspoon upon rising in glass of water n put a sprinkle in any glass of water during the day.
Restricting carb intake reduces salt consumption hence getting into ketosis can cause light headedness n lack of energy etc..
Does it have to be pink hymalayan salt, all i have is saxa table salt

what are the advantages i will see out of using this pink salt

Does it have to be pink hymalayan salt, all i have is saxa table salt

what are the advantages i will see out of using this pink salt
Aside from the anticaking agent, saxa type salts tend to be refined sodium chloride only, whereas pink salt, lake salts, or sea salts have a range of trace minerals such as copper and manganese. The pink hue is due to iron...it won't supply your RDI of iron, but my point is that better quality salts have other minerals in them.

They taste better. How anyone can use that saxa s**t for anything other than rinsing their mouth perhaps is beyond me. It's not like Himalayan salt is expensive.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back