LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
So I saw a new doctor today. He looked at my records and asked me if I was on insulin. I said I had been but have gone off it due to LCHF/carnivore plus CrossFit. He hit the roof and accused me of playing doctor and basically told me I was going to die. I explained several times that I have regularly been testing my sugar levels and they have been normal. He told me again that I'm not a doctor and that I should not have taken myself off insulin. No I'm not a doctor but I know that if my blood sugars are normal and I give myself insulin I will go into a dangerous state of hypoglycemia.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
So I saw a new doctor today. He looked at my records and asked me if I was on insulin. I said I had been but have gone off it due to LCHF/carnivore plus CrossFit. He hit the roof and accused me of playing doctor and basically told me I was going to die. I explained several times that I have regularly been testing my sugar levels and they have been normal. He told me again that I'm not a doctor and that I should not have taken myself off insulin. No I'm not a doctor but I know that if my blood sugars are normal and I give myself insulin I will go into a dangerous state of hypoglycemia.

How did he respond to your last point?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
How did he respond to your last point?

I didn't say that to him tbh. I just thought about it later. He's sent me off for blood tests, saying that he is expecting it to be very bad. Can't wait to see the look of shock on his face.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
I didn't say that to him tbh. I just thought about it later. He's sent me off for blood tests, saying that he is expecting it to be very bad. Can't wait to see the look of shock on his face.
Find another doctor. The dietdoctor site has a world map with lchf supporting doctors. I think I remember that you may be in a more remote area though which makes it hard. Don't take the doctor's old school medicine crap, they know nothing about nutrition and just tow the government line and hand out drugs to mask symptoms rather than to cure them.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Find another doctor. The dietdoctor site has a world map with lchf supporting doctors. I think I remember that you may be in a more remote area though which makes it hard. Don't take the doctor's old school medicine crap, they know nothing about nutrition and just tow the government line and hand out drugs to mask symptoms rather than to cure them.

I'm going to get my blood tests done just to show him and hopefully he then looks into it then I might find a different doctor. I'm not that remote. I live in a town of 50,000 (Gladstone) with another town of 80,000(Rockhampton) an hour away. Shouldn't be too hard finding an LCHF supporting doctor.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a nonce. Sure - you may not be a doctor, but he's not a nutritionist either.

If your sugars are good, why would you take it when you don't need it? That'd just give you a hypo and a potential trip to the emergency room.

You know you have a good doctor when they concede that you know your blood sugars better than they ever will.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
My wife has developed gestational diabetes, can't get her fasting blood glucose below 5 mmol/L

She has limited her carb intake which seems to have improved things but she will probably have to take an insulin shot every night before bed.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Blood tests very good. Surprise surprise.
Also saw a podiatrist this morning who told me that I have the best feet she has ever seen on a diabetic.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I've just been diagnosed with lactose, sucrose and maltose intolerance. I wonder whether being keto/carnivore for so long caused this?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I've just been diagnosed with lactose, sucrose and maltose intolerance. I wonder whether being keto/carnivore for so long caused this?

Interesting. It wouldn't shock me though if it was the case I imagine slowly introducing them back into your diet if you were so inclined would work? For the past four months I've probably followed a 90/10 rule with food (prior two years been pretty much full ketogenic diet) and have had no problem with the 10% of food (essentially cheat meals at restaurants).

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Just seen an add for hungry jacks now sellng low carb burgers.
Will be interesting to checkout ingredients list.

From what I've seen it's only 30% less carbs than normal burgers so not really keto level carbs.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Out of interest what does the carnivore diet entail? Can you have eggs, legumes, olives? Or just pure meat 24/7?

Purely animal products so mostly meat but can also include butter, cream, eggs, cheese, etc. No milk though.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

I only eat hard cheeses.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Out of interest what does the carnivore diet entail? Can you have eggs, legumes, olives? Or just pure meat 24/7?
I eat meat, eggs, all dairy and the occasional avocado or olives. Legumes are a definite no go so harsh on your gut.

Some people can't handle dairy, but I find if it is cultured (yogurt or kefir) or high in fat and lower in lactose (cream or cheese) I am fine.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Some people can't handle dairy, but I find if it is cultured (yogurt or kefir) or high in fat and lower in lactose (cream or cheese) I am fine.

I've started making my own kefir recently. Wasn't a huge fan of the taste initially but then I started adding some vanilla whey powder and chucking it in the nutribullet. It comes out a deliciously fluffy thickshake type thing, I love it.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Thought I would provide an update after 10 months on carnivore. I eat meat, dairy, eggs and coffee. Occasionally have avocado and use exclusively animal based fats (butter, lard, ghee, tallow).

Even less bloating and gas than when I was keto (for 6 years). Seborrheic dermatitis cleared up and hair and skin improved. Energy levels remain stable all day and recovery from gym is much easier. I haven't had bad DOMS after workouts even after taking a few weeks off.

I have been eating nose to tail as much as possible. Apart from the odd burger and beer every now and then I have stuck to it and not missed much.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Cooked up a few of these in the last few weeks. Awesome grain free keto.

20200916_002825.jpg

Back