LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Layne loves to call out psuedo scientists and conmen in fitness, then starts sprouting s**t like "carbon takes out the guesswork"

What a hack

K8L6yzV.png

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
Layne loves to call out psuedo scientists and conmen in fitness, then starts sprouting sh*t like "carbon takes out the guesswork"

What a hack
His app is one of the best on the market..it does some pretty cool things with calculating calorie and macro changes based on user inputs each week. Implements keto diets really well which can be hard with protein levels so easily knocking people out of ketosis. Definitely a step above compared to something like MFP.

I'm all for throwing s**t at people but Carbon would be my first choice if trying lose weight without a coach or much background in nutrition.

The dude is a dick to people online but he has some excellent content, his chapter on keto in Fat Loss Forever (was doing the rounds on reddit for a while) with D'Agastino was really well written.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
His app is one of the best on the market..it does some pretty cool things with calculating calorie and macro changes based on user inputs each week. Implements keto diets really well which can be hard with protein levels so easily knocking people out of ketosis. Definitely a step above compared to something like MFP.

I'm all for throwing sh*t at people but Carbon would be my first choice if trying lose weight without a coach or much background in nutrition.

The dude is a dick to people online but he has some excellent content, his chapter on keto in Fat Loss Forever (was doing the rounds on reddit for a while) with D'Agastino was really well written.
Fair enough, but that kind of marketing spin would send him into a white hot rage diatribe if it was coming from one of his 'opponents'. Just seems very hypocritical.

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
Fair enough, but that kind of marketing spin would send him into a white hot rage diatribe if it was coming from one of his 'opponents'. Just seems very hypocritical.
I'm not seeing it man. He is all about diet flexibility and evidence based practice and his app doesn't have any conflicts with this. I've been on bb.com since 2002 when Layne was Str8flexed and going through grad school and he hasn't changed his message a whole lot that entire time.

His app is entirely designed to take the guess work out of making week to week macro and calorie changes based on goals and regular check ins - it's not being hypocritical to make a claim like 'taking the guess work out'

Layne gets in pointless wars with the likes of Fung, Tao, Sissen, Baker, Mikhaila Peterson etc when they make claims that aren't backed by a solid amount of analysis and are unwilling to make concessions. He never seems to be overly concerned about somebody marketing a product, and I give the example of D'Agastino of being about as keto as anybody having a whole chapter in his book and promoting exogenous ketone products and that's because of Dom and his message about where keto fits overall in nutrition.

But jesus he is a whiny bitch if they make claims that oppose what seems to be his s**t test like

- Equated for calories and protein does it have a metabolic advantage (which gets LCHF/Keto responses)
- No evidence that nutrient timing has an impact on fat loss (IF crew)
- Adherence to diets is poor, if the diet isn't suited to the long term then more likely to fail so make sure the diet is a good match for the person even if it isn't the absolute ideal (Vegan, keto, IF)
- That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

All I'm saying is that diet is a pattern of eating and not a religion, Layne has a penchant for getting triggered to s**t the moment somebody tries to schill something that doesn't pass the sniff test but you won't see him going after other coaches or vegan, carnivore cookbooks, IF apps or some s**t.

I don't pick sides on this stuff, I'm in allied health and did some of the sports nutrition (under Glenn Cardwell) and human nutrition electives during undergrad as well as seeing the work that SLP's and RD's do with degenerative brain conditions, renal etc on a daily basis - I don't have a side, I just like keeping an eye on the latest things that are going on.

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not seeing it man. He is all about diet flexibility and evidence based practice and his app doesn't have any conflicts with this. I've been on bb.com since 2002 when Layne was Str8flexed and going through grad school and he hasn't changed his message a whole lot that entire time.

His app is entirely designed to take the guess work out of making week to week macro and calorie changes based on goals and regular check ins - it's not being hypocritical to make a claim like 'taking the guess work out'

Layne gets in pointless wars with the likes of Fung, Tao, Sissen, Baker, Mikhaila Peterson etc when they make claims that aren't backed by a solid amount of analysis and are unwilling to make concessions. He never seems to be overly concerned about somebody marketing a product, and I give the example of D'Agastino of being about as keto as anybody having a whole chapter in his book and promoting exogenous ketone products and that's because of Dom and his message about where keto fits overall in nutrition.

But jesus he is a whiny b*tch if they make claims that oppose what seems to be his sh*t test like

- Equated for calories and protein does it have a metabolic advantage (which gets LCHF/Keto responses)
- No evidence that nutrient timing has an impact on fat loss (IF crew)
- Adherence to diets is poor, if the diet isn't suited to the long term then more likely to fail so make sure the diet is a good match for the person even if it isn't the absolute ideal (Vegan, keto, IF)
- That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

All I'm saying is that diet is a pattern of eating and not a religion, Layne has a penchant for getting triggered to sh*t the moment somebody tries to schill something that doesn't pass the sniff test but you won't see him going after other coaches or vegan, carnivore cookbooks, IF apps or some sh*t.

I don't pick sides on this stuff, I'm in allied health and did some of the sports nutrition (under Glenn Cardwell) and human nutrition electives during undergrad as well as seeing the work that SLP's and RD's do with degenerative brain conditions, renal etc on a daily basis - I don't have a side, I just like keeping an eye on the latest things that are going on.

I completely agree. The guy is a massive flog. He's a centrist and right most of the time. But he doesn't allow for much reading between the lines which annoys the piss out of me. Just because we don't have data on something doesn't make it false, it means we haven't investigated it yet.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Anyone using an electrolyte supplement? At the start of pushing towards keto again and having periods of some lethargy, even when keeping the fats high. Wondering whether I'm just taking longer to adjust than I have in the past as I'm older and probably sicker or i need some pottassium and sodium
Put some lite salt in water and drink that in the morning and evening

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Anyone using an electrolyte supplement? At the start of pushing towards keto again and having periods of some lethargy, even when keeping the fats high. Wondering whether I'm just taking longer to adjust than I have in the past as I'm older and probably sicker or i need some pottassium and sodium

I find this from Chemist Warehouse good.

images.jpg

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't suffer with keto flu but once i'm well adapted I get anxious at night and struggle to sleep and also get mildly constipated

I realised that both of these negative side effects of my very low carb diet are symptoms of a potassium deficiency. 5g of cream of tartar (which equates 1g of potassium) alleviates these symptoms fairly quickly. Cream of tartar (also known as potassium bitartrate or tartaric acid) has a bit of a citric acidity taste to it and whilst it doesn't totally dissolve in water I manage to get the remnants out by swishing some extra water around the glass. Highly recommend!

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
dod you get any gastro like effects when you first started using it?

I bought a different one and hoo boi

I was Taking some other magnesium too and wonder whether the compound effect kicked things off

Magnesium, potassium and sodium are the primary ingredient in pretty much every constipation aid you can name. It’s not surprising (if you’re deficient) that the ingestion of those electrolytes would cause some fairly rapid bowel movements.

The trick is to not get deficient in the first place then you’ll be far less likely to get any explosive side effects.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting blood work review of some high profile keto/carnivores

I had blood work done when on strict keto (2 years ago) and had sky high Total Test and SHBG with very low Free Test. But I felt great and was performing very well athletically whilst fairly lean.

I agree with Derek (more plates more dates guy in above video) that on paper a lot of these test results look very poor but there has to be another explanation for someone like Shawn Baker setting world strength records with hypogonadal levels of testosterone.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The most WOW video I have seen re diet and the medical industrial complex. This guy is an impressive individual, he's into preventative measures re health via diet and functional movement not symptom treating. >

Dr David Johnson is a brain and spinal neurosurgeon now practicing at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital. He has had a pioneering role in the establishment of multidisciplinary spinal practices and holistic care for neurosurgical patients.

He has launched three Functional Movement Training Centres in Queensland and now one of the world’s leading in-house hospital facilities at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital, having already delivered his NeuroHAB Back Pain Rehabilitation Program successfully to over 500 patients.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.fmtc.com.au/

A priority in Dr Johnson’s service is delivering a message of foundational health imperatives to all his patients, beginning with nutrition and movement proficiency. Provision of comprehensive Low Insulinaemic nutritional advice is routinely provided to patients by close collaborations with contemporary clinical Nutritionists. The alarming extent of preventable and reversible chronic disease that plagues our patients, presenting with advancing obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease should be addresses at every opportunity.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
dod you get any gastro like effects when you first started using it?

I bought a different one and hoo boi

I was Taking some other magnesium too and wonder whether the compound effect kicked things off

No. Haven't noticed any.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Does anyone still do bulletproof coffee? I've just started it again after a few years of not doing it. I'm putting 25g of butter, teaspoons of MCT and 2 squares of Lindt 95% in it.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Does anyone still do bulletproof coffee? I've just started it again after a few years of not doing it. I'm putting 25g of butter, teaspoons of MCT and 2 squares of Lindt 95% in it.
10g of grass fed butter and 5g coconut oil every morning for the past 5 years

I take 3g of fish oil at the same time, dunno if that is a good idea or not just do it out of convenience.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
The more I do this the more I think we over complicate it.

There's a bit of the energy deficit model that's correct, and there the drivers of hunger with UPF.

Personally I try and minimise grains/rice and booze....mostly none of both, but I'm not chucking fat in my coffee other than a splash of milk. Potatoes minimised but not excluded

As for fats: whatever I cook in and what comes with the food plus some added oils in dressing. Cooking fat is largely ghee, sometimes olive oil

And stick to whole foods, whether that's plants or meat...for me it's both...I'd get bored shitless as a carnivore or a vegetarian.

This seems to give me the statiety I need.
So for breakfast I just had a thin scotch fillet steak and a bunch of broccolini.
Proably won't eat again until dinner...Sometimes it's 3-4 eggs, sometimes I skip breakfast if I've eaten really well the night before.

If I can stay away from the chips, the donuts, the burgers etc I find things pretty easy

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The more I do this the more I think we over complicate it.

There's a bit of the energy deficit model that's correct, and there the drivers of hunger with UPF.

Personally I try and minimise grains/rice and booze....mostly none of both, but I'm not chucking fat in my coffee other than a splash of milk. Potatoes minimised but not excluded

As for fats: whatever I cook in and what comes with the food plus some added oils in dressing. Cooking fat is largely ghee, sometimes olive oil

And stick to whole foods, whether that's plants or meat...for me it's both...I'd get bored shitless as a carnivore or a vegetarian.

This seems to give me the statiety I need
To be honest I just do it because I prefer to eat 2 large meals per day but train in the morning and don't like having a completely empty stomach until lunch time. I also find it means I don't have any issues with keto adaption/keto flu/brain fog issues when I've had cheat meals or cycling carbs in and out of my diet.

Back