LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
LCHF

LOW CARB - HIGH (ish) - HEALTHY FAT

13254511_1102557943135756_2183310263871084812_n.jpg

Last edited:

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
I follow the 'Metabolic Precision' program, it's pretty close to this I reckon.

It weighs up low energy versus high energy carbs and recommends only to eat high energy carbs post work out, as well as ensuring you have a first class protein source in each meal as well as as many low energy carb/veg as you can fit to build metabolism.

I don't proclaim it to be the way for everyone to go, but it has worked pretty well for me so far, 20kgs down on the scales since February and put on a fair bit of muscle too.

Attachments

• headlesbeforeafter.jpg
    headlesbeforeafter.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,600

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Currently I'm 'permitted' to eat white/sweet potatoes but I choose not to, but generally speaking with the 'high energy carb' choice its usually brown rice/quinoa with post work out meal, and a medium banana mixed with my casein an hour or so after that.

Other than that, the only carbs I eat are the ones listed above.

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow, great summary, cheers! :thumbsu:

Really turning my whole perception upside down.. Im one of those that have always blindly followed the "food pyramid" guide, so have a high carb diet, ie: cant have really have meal without some kind of carb accompanying the protein; in the form of potatoes, brown rice, wholemeal wholegrain bread or pasta.
In fact Im struggling to see how I can have a satisfying meal! Guess Ill just have an extra steak and really up the other veg..

Heck, I even forced myself to have raw oats, milk and honey (sometimes with fruit) for breakfast almost everyday for breakfast for months last year during the footy season trying to get myself healthy.

Which raises my next question regarding the common pre game "carbo loading" that even pro AFL players go through, stuffing themselves full of pasta 1-2 days before gameday. What do you recommend for a LCHF diet?
Just more of the same, plenty of meat and veg?

Also the beer thing is a massive bummer, always known they werent too good for you, but can now really see how sinking massive amounts of piss every drinking sesh is terrible. :(
Was always pretty happy that I can be happy sinking back cheap piss like Exports and Draughts which helped the student budget..

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dr. Atkins was an advocate for this way of eating back in the 80's but his big flaw was he didn't advise enough carbs & you don't need to be in ketosis 24/7 to burn fat.

My only qualm is , from self experimenting & the experts I rub shoulders with, your highest carb feed should be prior to training opposed to popular advised, after training.
Carbs pre training fuel your work out enabling you to train harder & will be used as energy , ideal time for a cheat meal!
No to low carbs afterwards create your body to become more insulin resistant so when you do introduce carbs your body utilises them a lot better.
There's a lot of current data leading towards carbless post work out protocols has a better for effect for lean muscle gains.

It's worth trying guys, surely I have a little bit of credit by now!

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Dr. Atkins was an advocate for this way of eating back in the 80's but his big flaw was he didn't advise enough carbs & you don't need to be in ketosis 24/7 to burn fat.

My only qualm is , from self experimenting & the experts I rub shoulders with, your highest carb feed should be prior to training opposed to popular advised, after training.
Carbs pre training fuel your work out enabling you to train harder & will be used as energy , ideal time for a cheat meal!
No to low carbs afterwards create your body to become more insulin resistant so when you do introduce carbs your body utilises them a lot better.
There's a lot of current data leading towards carbless post work out protocols has a better for effect for lean muscle gains.

It's worth trying guys, surely I have a little bit of credit by now!

Very interesting. From my own experience, I've found this to be quite true. I have awesome workouts if I eat carbs before a workout and post training have meat loads of veges and very little carbs.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very interesting. From my own experience, I've found this to be quite true. I have awesome workouts if I eat carbs before a workout and post training have meat loads of veges and very little carbs.

Ssshhhh it's a secret, next minute , lean muscular people will be walking around everywhere!

It makes sense to me even if there's no science to back it, which there is, you bust your ass pumping iron for an hour to burn fat which continues to burn while recovering afterwards.
Then why would you want to ingest carbs post work out which spikes insulin and stops fat burning?
Only benefit to carbs post training would be if you were training again a few hours later cos the post w/o carbs would then act as pre w/o carbs/energy for next session.

UmpiringFooty

Proud member of the BFUA
Jun 16, 2013
Goal umpiring at a local footy ground near you
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Geelong
Well balanced diet > all these dietry fads.
Seriously Bazzar you are spamming us with all sorts of studies. I don't know if you have tried any of this stuff yourself but it's way too bland for my liking.
Low carb just means you won't have any energy to do things.
Low carb means you are missing out on all the goodness in eating the sweet things in life because a little bit of everything in moderation is better than focussing on fad diets.
In fact I did hear and I also did some research that low carb diets actually cause people to die from Anemia and have a lot of eating disorders. They eat nothing and their waistline gets thinner and grosser by the time they are finished. Makes people look like they are malnutricianed. Which in other words and I know this from experiencing this when I was a toddler, being starved due to not being fed the right foods and being abused as a child by being left home alone.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Seriously Bazzar you are spamming us with all sorts of studies. I don't know if you have tried any of this stuff yourself but it's way too bland for my liking.
Low carb means you are missing out on all the goodness in eating the sweet things in life because a little bit of everything in moderation is better than focussing on fad diets.
In fact I did hear and I also did some research that low carb diets actually cause people to die from Anemia and have a lot of eating disorders. They eat nothing and their waistline gets thinner and grosser by the time they are finished. Makes people look like they are malnutricianed. Which in other words and I know this from experiencing this when I was a toddler, being starved due to not being fed the right foods and being abused as a child by being left home alone.
Maybe you should look at what i am posting instead of accusing me of spamming.

"Low carb just means you won't have any energy to do things." Show me the evidence?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
In fact I did hear and I also did some research that low carb diets actually cause people to die from Anemia and have a lot of eating disorders.

Can you post the links please.

Save your energy, as i just Googled it and the responses were to many to post so i will just include the one.

Anemia

Anemia derives from a reduced amount of red blood cells in your body or when there isn’t enough hemoglobin in the red blood cells. Hemoglobin is a protein that contains iron that is used to turn blood red. Hemoglobin is responsible for carrying oxygen from the red blood cells through the lungs and to the rest of the body. A lack of oxygen rich blood causes you to feel fatigued or short of breath. Anemia is caused by poor diet, blood loss, lack of red blood cell production and red blood cell destruction. Left untreated, anemia can become life-threatening. Some forms of anemia can be prevented by using iron supplements and eating iron-rich foods.
Low-Carb Diet Benefits

If you're anemic and overweight, you may have chosen to go on a low-carb diet to shed some pounds. Low-carb diets are also good for controlling blood glucose levels and reducing symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome, according to the Glycemic Index website. It's important to remember that, while reducing the amount of carbohydrates you consume, you eat plenty of iron-rich meat, vegetables and grain. Most mainstream low-carb diets, including the glycemic index diet, are safe for you to follow if you're anemic. However, beware of low-cab diets that also restrict meat or vegetable intake.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/552054-low-carb-diet-for-anemics/

BroughtonMid

Senior List
May 29, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Claremont

no doubt it is important to eat in moderation.

going low carb does not mean you will have no energy, complete bro science. I do just about all my training fasted, whether its 30+mins cardio, weights, or 8x400m. the body will adapt and use fat as energy, becoming increasingly efficient at doing so, as long as you continue to train this way.

"missing out on the goodness" ha, completely boils down to personal preference, different people enjoy different foods funnily enough. some people may not enjoy sweet foods, they could prefer savoury. even so, there are plenty of low carb recipes to satisfy one's sweet tooth. and theres nothing wrong with enjoying a sweet carb every once in a while.

Those people you talk of clearly have an eating disorder which is a psychological issue, and has nothing to do with the foods they ingest

I eat relatively low carb (40-100g carb a day varying on training/recovery) and I comfortably sit at around 8% body fat at 80kg (184cm) all year around. it's the easiest thing in the world.

this is the internet though and you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that. I for one enjoy Bazzars quality posting.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle

Low carb & low fat then your energy will suffer but most low carb dieters eat ample fat which is used for energy requirements opposed to carbs.
Indigenous people would hunt for days without ingesting much if any carbs & they didn't suffer energy loss nor did they carb load before hunting trips nor sip on powerade along the journey!
Also there's a misconception of low carb probably because of keto diets where less than 40 carbs is the staple of a keto diet.
Most sensible low carb dieters eat between 50-100 carbs a day pending their activity level.

The majority of people who critisise low carbs either can't do them &/or are addicted to carbs/sweet things.
It's easier to critisise something than to accept your defenciencies.

Back