LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Am back in the groove with all this now.

FitBit/Myfitnesspal calorie and macro tracker sent me a bit crazy for a couple of weeks. Was constantly thinking about how many calories in the apple I was about to eat, and thinking I'd rather not snack on a thing because I couldn't be ****** entering it in the app. Tracking everything does strange things to my mind and I've resisted it for a long time.

'low carb' for me means no grains or processed sugar. I have plenty of fruit, so I'm never going to get the carb element down to 10/20% like people do.
From a dieting and exercise point of view, glucose is a preferential carb source to fructose. I'm not telling you what to eat mind you, obviously these things come down to personal preference and goals so if you can get the results you want whilst eating heaps of fruit go for it.

If you want me to elaborate on the glucose vs fructose details I'd be more than happy to.

From a dieting and exercise point of view, glucose is a preferential carb source to fructose. I'm not telling you what to eat mind you, obviously these things come down to personal preference and goals so if you can get the results you want whilst eating heaps of fruit go for it.

If you want me to elaborate on the glucose vs fructose details I'd be more than happy to.
Yes - would be really keen to hear more actually.

I read "the case against Sugar" which the first half of the book was around high fructose corn syrup, but wasn't sure how that translated to eating apples, oranges and bananas which are full of fibre and vitamins.

Part of it is mental too. If I have a couple of those lolly snakes - it'll quickly turn into a whole bag. If I have an apple or banana I'm satisfied and that's it.

But yeah - keen to learn a bit more.

Yes please.

I read "the case against Sugar" which the first half of the book was around high fructose corn syrup, but wasn't sure how that translated to eating apples, oranges and bananas which are full of fibre and vitamins.

Part of it is mental too. If I have a couple of those lolly snakes - it'll quickly turn into a whole bag. If I have an apple or banana I'm satisfied and that's it.

fructose and sucrose fill liver glycogen stores rather than muscle glycogen stores, glucose is imported into the muscle cells via GLUT4 transporters which are activated when insulin increases, however these transporters will not transport fructose (sucrose is glucose-fructose bond), therefore leaving these sugars in the bloodstream to circulate unable to be transported into muscle, until they reach the liver. at which point the liver has enzymes that muscles do not.

Overeating makes you fat......

Oxylipins are generated by the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids with omega 6 fats being the most problematic- our primary dietary source of these are vegetable oils which are ubiquitous in many processed foods- this 2018 study examines the emerging role of these compounds in cardiovascular disease

Losing weight is more about what and how much you eat not how much exercise you do, IMO 90% dietary lifestyle - 10% exercise regime.

I see quite a few overweight people out jogging just after new year every year, they soon drop away, I feel like stopping them and asking what their dietary habits are like.

Losing weight is more about what and how much you eat not how much exercise you do, IMO 90% dietary lifestyle - 10% exercise regime.

I see quite a few overweight people out jogging just after new year every year, they soon drop away, I feel like stopping them and asking what their dietary habits are like.
unfortunately the food industry has been promoting the exact opposite for decades and somewhere along the line it just got accepted as fact.
they're tricky about it though, using things like the Global Energy Balance Network to legitimise their bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unfortunately the food industry has been promoting the exact opposite for decades and somewhere along the line it just got accepted as fact.
they're tricky about it though, using things like the Global Energy Balance Network to legitimise their bullshit.

Or you can educate yourself on how your body works, energy balance understand macros - calories and how to read a nutrition label.

Jason PM is right is 90% diet.

The easiet calories you burn are the ones you don’t eat. People over estimate how much energy the burn vs how much the consume.

I deserve this block of chocolate after my 3km jog. Little do they realise they just consumed twice as many calories as they burnt. If they say on their ass didn’t run and didn’t eat chocolate they be further in front.

depends on your metabolism. have a mate with 'hollow legs' who can drink until to cows come home and not put on any weight. me, a few pots and i stack it on.
I think saj's point was more along the lines of, anyone consuming under their TDEE will not put on weight regardless of the quality of the calories consumed

Does anyone have a good meal plan or recommend a diet I might be able to follow, I genuinely eat pretty well, but I need to step up a bit in order to loose a bit of belly fat.. I am assuming I should be going for a low calorie diet aiming for a small deficit each day right?

So far my average day looks like 2-3x Black coffee, protein shake after gym with banana, honey and cup of oats

4x scrambled eggs with cut up bacon, x3 1 cup of spinach and half red onion.

Lunch rotation of salmon or chicken with vegetables

Maybe a snack of Greek yougart and trail mix.

Tea is very much the same as lunch.

If I want to keep my calorie intake low should I be avoiding rice, sweet potatoes, bread, pasta ect; ? And portions sizes smaller?

Cheers

Have fallen into a bit of a bad cycle the past 6-8 weeks and need to get my s**t together as I can feel my blood sugar getting out of hand.

This will be my routine - please add any tips etc

Fast 10pm-2pm (Mineral water and black coffee) - break my fast with a hot cup of cinnamon tea

Throughout the eating window
- 4 eggs
- 500-700g of lean meat (usually stick to chicken breast and turkey mince)
- veggies; spinach, mushrooms, capsicum, broccoli
- punnet of blueberries
- handful of nuts
- 4 tbspn of chia seeds
- fishoil (~2 tbspn)
- multi, magnesium, HCL, zinc, vitamin D, chromium picolinate

Training
- weights 4-5 days a week
- running (5x3 minute efforts) 3 days a week

Don't count cals but this usually gets me around 2200-2500 cals. Strength goes up and body fat decreases dramatically. Hoping to lose 10kg over the next 3 months

Does anyone have a good meal plan or recommend a diet I might be able to follow, I genuinely eat pretty well, but I need to step up a bit in order to loose a bit of belly fat.. I am assuming I should be going for a low calorie diet aiming for a small deficit each day right?

So far my average day looks like 2-3x Black coffee, protein shake after gym with banana, honey and cup of oats

4x scrambled eggs with cut up bacon, x3 1 cup of spinach and half red onion.

Lunch rotation of salmon or chicken with vegetables

Maybe a snack of Greek yougart and trail mix.

Tea is very much the same as lunch.

If I want to keep my calorie intake low should I be avoiding rice, sweet potatoes, bread, pasta ect; ? And portions sizes smaller?

Cheers

First off your diet looks pretty good. Secondly you can't spot reduce body and the last bit around the lower back/under the belly button is the last to come off.

Rice and Sweet potatoes are generally good sources of carbs and moderate in calories per gram. Whereas pasta and bread are easy to over eat and more calorie dense.

And yes if you create a small deficit each day you will lose body fat.

Is anyone else running carnivore ?
What have your results been like ?
I'm really tempted to try it for a month or two but don't think I'll ever get the chance. Keto is already hard in social and going out situations and my wife would be horrified if I didn't eat and prepare veg (I cook all our meals).

I'm really tempted to try it for a month or two but don't think I'll ever get the chance. Keto is already hard in social and going out situations and my wife would be horrified if I didn't eat and prepare veg (I cook all our meals).

I've been doing meat / animal as 80% of my diet for about 18 months and its super hard in social settings.

I did 2 months strict and it was phenomenal, I think it only really works properly when you commit to it completely. stronger, leaner, sustained energy and drive. Most productive I've ever been.

Beer and wine is the really hard bit for me. I love booze too much.

I had an interesting experience today, went up to the PA Hospital in Brisbane for a Scan, they did a few routine pre procedure checks on me and the nurse was horrified that my blood sugar level was 2.7, she was quite concerned and she said she would go and chat to the doctor about it. She came back in and asked a few more questions- was I feeling dizzy or faint, did I have a headache or was I nauseous. I told her I was feeling fine just like I always do, I also informed her that I follow a LCHF dietary lifestyle which she didn't know anything about, she went back out and had another consultation, doctor came in and quizzed me about why I was on LCHF, I told him because it makes me feel good, which was followed by a quizzical look, he went out and I heard him chatting to someone else.

Came back in and was advised that I may not be able to have the Scan so they suggested/instructed me to have a glass of orange juice, long story short 2 orange juices later my blood sugar was 4.2 and I was told I was all good to go for the scan.

I had an interesting experience today, went up to the PA Hospital in Brisbane for a Scan, they did a few routine pre procedure checks on me and the nurse was horrified that my blood sugar level was 2.7, she was quite concerned and she said she would go and chat to the doctor about it. She came back in and asked a few more questions- was I feeling dizzy or faint, did I have a headache or was I nauseous. I told her I was feeling fine just like I always do, I also informed her that I follow a LCHF dietary lifestyle which she didn't know anything about, she went back out and had another consultation, doctor came in and quizzed me about why I was on LCHF, I told him because it makes me feel good, which was followed by a quizzical look, he went out and I heard him chatting to someone else.

Came back in and was advised that I may not be able to have the Scan so they suggested/instructed me to have a glass of orange juice, long story short 2 orange juices later my blood sugar was 4.2 and I was told I was all good to go for the scan.
Should have asked them to measure your ketone levels and then tell them that is why your sugar levels are low and you feel 100%. They know their books inside out, new/alternative views take a long time to take hold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back