LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny this thread should reappear. Now 1.5 years into my carnivore journey and aside from the odd splurge every couple of months have found it easy and delicious to stick to. Just got my latest bloods back and my triglycerides are at 0.3 mmol/l and hdl is at 2.1 mmol/l. Doctor was very impressed with the results and actually asked about my diet. Was shocked when I said I only eat animal based food. Also anecdotally I don't get sunburnt anywhere as easily as I used to. I do have a naturally tanned complexion, but can handle time in the sun without any sunscreen and not get burnt.

I've also started using tallow soap for the last 9 months. Amazing difference to my skin.

Funny this thread should reappear. Now 1.5 years into my carnivore journey and aside from the odd splurge every couple of months have found it easy and delicious to stick to. Just got my latest bloods back and my triglycerides are at 0.3 mmol/l and hdl is at 2.1 mmol/l. Doctor was very impressed with the results and actually asked about my diet. Was shocked when I said I only eat animal based food. Also anecdotally I don't get sunburnt anywhere as easily as I used to. I do have a naturally tanned complexion, but can handle time in the sun without any sunscreen and not get burnt.

I've also started using tallow soap for the last 9 months. Amazing difference to my skin.
Mirin trigs, my last bloods came back at 0.7

I'm a bit behind you - just shy of 12 months into my carnivore journey. Feel the same about sun exposure - I'm the opposite; bright white (not much sun here in the UK) but I don't go pink any more with just 20 minutes of sun exposure.

I've found it much easier to put on visible muscle when weight training and my lifts are much improved. I've noticed a bunch of other benefits too.

The strange paradox for me is that carnivore sounds like a super restrictive diet (even when coming from LCHF/keto) so you'd think it needs superhuman amounts of willpower, but for me it was the inverse. I needed a bunch of willpower at times with keto; now I don't even think about food - I eat it, enjoy it, and don't think about it until my next hunger pang.

Tallow soap sounds interesting. I might check it out.

God it boils my piss getting blasted with these ads and getting harassed by their fund raisers in shopping centres

Given how cosy these pricks are with big pharma and big food no doubt they’re doing more harm than good
bf2fb5a268957ccf1e50c7aa3327784c.jpg

Anyone tried these keto wines and any good?

Anyone tried these keto wines and any good?

Almost all (non moscato) table wine and champagne is only about 1g of carbs per glass. Keto wine seems a bit redundant.

Interesting McDonald on the radio just then said about 12 are in the meat club where they have a massive meat BBQ cook up every day.

Said yesterday he was watching a great video on injecting beef tallow into brisket and can't wait to get back to Melbourne to cook it.

theoretically I don't have anything against a carnivore diet but the short periods of time I've only eaten meat theres usually liquid poop lol.

As a professional AFL player you would think it would be super easy to have explosive diarrhea on the field with all that exertion

Last edited:
theoretically I don't have anything against a carnivore diet but the short periods of time I've only eating meat theres usually liquid poop lol.

As a professional AFL player you would think it would be super easy to have explosive diarrhea on the field with all that exertion
Everyone is different and gut microbiome adapt. I didn't have a stage of liquid poop when I transitioned, but I was already eating a lot of fat on keto. I know some people have an issue with too much rendered fat or coffee sending them running. It's also likely that they would eat well in advance of the game actually starting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense.

BTW mate, I was just checking out your blog. I think the 24 hour fast would be quite easy for me to do. Dinner is a big thing for my partner and the one meal we do always have together, but any other part of the day I could manage for myself, and just flat out fasting until dinner would work fine.

Might not always be LCHF exactly, yet, but I'm sure the benefits would still be there. My body spent a bit over 2 years as a pure fat burner so you'd think I have the metabolic machinery to still dip into a ketotic state once glycogen stores are depleted through exercise.
In November last year I lost 5kg doing 5 days a week of one meal a day, no other calorie or macronutrient control (i.e. not keto) so very similar to what you're envisaging. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.

The 5kg came of with basically no exercise being completed either, purely as a result of the fasting/one meal a day protocol.
Hey bro, not sure if you ended up jumping on the OMAD bandwagon but I'm looking at bringing them back into my diet protocol (along with morning fasted cardio) once a week as I think they're extremely effective and keeping my cravings under control.

I've recently been adding more starchy carb refeeds into my diet as I get closer to 10% bodyfat following the advice of Martin Berkhan and Mark Sisson as I believe it is essential to regularly boost your leptin levels as you get leaner to avoid fat loss plateaus (side note in the past I've gone for weeks eating only 1500 calories without losing weight, the failure to lose body fat eating such a paltry amount of calories I wholly ascribe to a leptin deficiency). Whilst these carb refeeds have been very effective and allowing me to continue to lose weight (I'm currently 74.7kg which is the lightest I've been since I was 16 and leanest I've been in my life) it's played havoc with my appetite, cravings and self control, meaning strategic carb refeeds can become full on binge eating sessions or a couple of pieces of keto sugar free chocolate become the entire bar. Not that it's mattered too much because I'm still progressively getting leaner but it's definitely lead to a bit of wheel spinning and meant that this diet has potentially dragged on for a little longer than absolutely necessary.

I'm confident a weekly 24 hour fast (6pm to 6pm) with morning fasted cardio will be just what the doctor ordered.

I've recently been adding more starchy carb refeeds into my diet as I get closer to 10% bodyfat following the advice of Martin Berkhan and Mark Sisson as I believe it is essential to regularly boost your leptin levels as you get leaner to avoid fat loss plateaus (side note in the past I've gone for weeks eating only 1500 calories without losing weight, the failure to lose body fat eating such a paltry amount of calories I wholly ascribe to a leptin deficiency). Whilst these carb refeeds have been very effective and allowing me to continue to lose weight (I'm currently 74.7kg which is the lightest I've been since I was 16 and leanest I've been in my life) it's played havoc with my appetite, cravings and self control, meaning strategic carb refeeds can become full on binge eating sessions or a couple of pieces of keto sugar free chocolate become the entire bar. Not that it's mattered too much because I'm still progressively getting leaner but it's definitely lead to a bit of wheel spinning and meant that this diet has potentially dragged on for a little longer than absolutely necessary.

I'm confident a weekly 24 hour fast (6pm to 6pm) with morning fasted cardio will be just what the doctor ordered.
That has been just about my spot on weight for most of my adult life, I'm 185cm, interested what height you are?

Unless you are pretty short in stature I can't see why you would need to continue to lose weight.

I love doing fasted exercise, always do mid morning High Intensity Pilates/Hot Yoga fasted, I do eat around 45 minutes after I have finished though, are there benefits from extending the non eating window after exercise out beyond that?

That has been just about my spot on weight for most of my adult life, I'm 185cm, interested what height you are?

Unless you are pretty short in stature I can't see why you would need to continue to lose weight.
I'm 181cm, I'm already pretty lean but I'm also a vacuous, vain masochist who is determined to get as weak as humanly possible /s (I am vain though, obviously)

Seriously though I'm trying to get to a point that I'm 'stage ready', not that I have any interest in competing but just keen to challenge myself to get to that point of ~10% bodyfat. Not sure what my bf% is now but I really want to get read of the stubborn body fat near my belly button and love handles which I think I will achieve by reaching ~73kg if I get to 72.8kg and I still have love handles I'm ditching the cut anyway to focus on some strength goals before summer. "Why 72.8kg eactly?" you might ask, that will signify 20kg of weight loss since I began this cut on the 1st of Feb
TjxyuBB.jpg

I love doing fasted exercise, always do mid morning High Intensity Pilates/Hot Yoga fasted, I do eat around 45 minutes after I have finished though, are there benefits from extending the non eating window after exercise out beyond that?
For me, it's 2 fold
The moment u eat after fasted cardio is the moment you stop burning fat, the longer you hold off eating the longer you keep burning fat.

I do fasted a.m cardio & don't eat til t time.

Caffeine , carnitine & choline is ideal before fasted cardio.
They release free fatty acids into your blood so they can burnt as energy when no carbs a available.
L-Leucine should be taken pre n post cardio to prevent muscle catabolism.
HIIT is best for fatloss n muscle gain.
This advice from ablett has really stuck with me and whilst it's not substantiated in any studies I've seen (studies on fasted cardio show the impact of greater negative calorie balance during the fasted exercise is counter balanced by the positive calorie balance later in the day and the calories in and calories out is king), we do know for a fact that lipolysis (the act of burning adipose tissue) can only occur when insulin action falls to low levels, so to me it makes sense to give your body the best opportunity to burn fat stores by keeping insulin low for a extended period post exercise.

And secondly the mental fortitude required to complete a 24 hour fast (a total drop in the ocean compared to some of the fasts I see elsewhere) seems to give me much stronger will power when confronted with opportunities for cheating and overall diet adherance. This is totally anecdotal but is a huge part of the value proposition I derive from 24 hour fasts.

I'm 181cm, I'm already pretty lean but I'm also a vacuous, vain masochist who is determined to get as weak as humanly possible /s (I am vain though, obviously)

Seriously though I'm trying to get to a point that I'm 'stage ready', not that I have any interest in competing but just keen to challenge myself to get to that point of ~10% bodyfat. Not sure what my bf% is now but I really want to get read of the stubborn body fat near my belly button and love handles which I think I will achieve by reaching ~73kg if I get to 72.8kg and I still have love handles I'm ditching the cut anyway to focus on some strength goals before summer. "Why 72.8kg eactly?" you might ask, that will signify 20kg of weight loss since I began this cut on the 1st of Feb
TjxyuBB.jpg

For me, it's 2 fold

This advice from ablett has really stuck with me and whilst it's not substantiated in any studies I've seen (studies on fasted cardio show the impact of greater negative calorie balance during the fasted exercise is counter balanced by the positive calorie balance later in the day and the calories in and calories out is king), we do know for a fact that lipolysis (the act of burning adipose tissue) can only occur when insulin action falls to low levels, so to me it makes sense to give your body the best opportunity to burn fat stores by keeping insulin low for a extended period post exercise.

And secondly the mental fortitude required to complete a 24 hour fast (a total drop in the ocean compared to some of the fasts I see elsewhere) seems to give me much stronger will power when confronted with opportunities for cheating and overall diet adherance. This is totally anecdotal but is a huge part of the value proposition I derive from 24 hour fasts.
Thanks for the detailed reply, on the love handles and lower tummy fat, as you can tell by my height and weight I'm as skinny as a rake.

I have posted a longer version of this on a couple of other threads on big footy >

I had throat cancer late 2019 and had 8 weeks of Chemo and Radiation treatment, could ingest nothing but the odd meal replacement smoothie during the last week or so of treatment and a couple of weeks after it ceased, I got down to 62kg because of this... still had love handles and tummy fat albeit a little less, that led me to the conclusion that the older you are it is nigh on impossible to get rid of, I am 61 though so might be easier for you.

Personally I have given up on achieving a visible 6 pack, I know in myself it is under the little skinny fat I have in that region and if I flex the right way it can be seen.... we are all vain, it's all just a matter of degrees of vainness IMO.

Burgens 85% lower carb bread.:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Are those small pieces for the little one?
I think it is important always to find a balance in life. WIth the food and trainings too. I was never on a diet in my life but also never was a big fan of junks, sugary drinks and other super unhealthy things.
The little pieces are liver. I cut the liver and steak into manageable pieces. She loves gnawing on the bone though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back