Hot Topic Leadership - Footage to sum up Essendon 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell should stop pretending he is gonna knuckle down and persist and work harder; instead he should do some soul searching and realise he needs to find true fire in his belly - fire he can breathe week in, week out. This gif is just a snippet in time but the context of play unfolding around him is irrelevant. It’s just spineless.

Heppell should stop pretending he is gonna knuckle down and persist and work harder; instead he should do some soul searching and realise he needs to find true fire in his belly - fire he can breathe week in, week out. This gif is just a snippet in time but the context of play unfolding around him is irrelevant. It’s just spineless.

So you are saying he is Kyle Langford with a beard?

How dare you.

No he wouldn’t. He would have recognised that Melbourne had three players onto our one and run into the gap that had been created. “Oh look, a chip!”

We actually do miss his ability to crumb, I noticed last week that the ball comes to ground in our forward line and just... leaves.

Ball goes to ground in half the other AFL sides and there’s a Josh Green ready to kick that sneaky goal.

I'm torn here. If Heppell is trying into space to get into a position to have a shot at goal, then he shouldn't be criticised for that. Think of the inverse here; if Heppell had been running towards that space to get the pass from Stewart and then stopped to scuffle, people would be rightly up in arms about that too.

Having said that, that incident is not a good look in isolation. I'm not in the camp that we need to do silly things, but we also can't be giving the opposition the sense that we don't have each other's back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like you have never tried to defrost a steak and saw those greeny grey edges half cooked and thought, stuff it, ill just cook it all
If you must be a philistine and freeze your steak, at least put in the fridge 24 hours before you intend to cook it. I mean * me, maybe I could provide some leadership down at the club. The youth of today and their need for instant gratification huh?

Anyway...

That incident alone, I am cautious of going the full melt about it because I think showing any footage as zeroed in as that can be misleading because it does ignore what is happening around.

I don't want us needlessly hitting people off the ball. But I'd also add that sticking up for team mates should be a non-negotiable and it's a very bad thing if we gain a reputation as a side of softies.

Anyway...

That incident alone, I am cautious of going the full melt about it because I think showing any footage as zeroed in as that can be misleading because it does ignore what is happening around.

I don't want us needlessly hitting people off the ball. But I'd also add that sticking up for team mates should be a non-negotiable and it's a very bad thing if we gain a reputation as a side of softies.

Worse still - its not about being 'softies'

its about being so rigidly invested in your 'structures' (flawed or otherwise) that you are hesitant to leave them, or are rushing to get to the next spot ahead of what else might be happening in the game. You become a programmed robot who cant veer off the straight and narrow.. but guess what, the ball is oval! and does obscure things... just like our minds do if allowed

In the end, you can dehumanise the game, turn it into structures and processes and try to eliminate emotion or whatever else, but in the end, its played by red blooded humans who are fallible and who thrive on togetherness and teamwork.

Trying to get blokes to stick to structure ahead of flying the flag seems a little off

Worse still - its not about being 'softies'

its about being so rigidly invested in your 'structures' (flawed or otherwise) that you are hesitant to leave them, or are rushing to get to the next spot ahead of what else might be happening in the game. You become a programmed robot who cant veer off the straight and narrow.. but guess what, the ball is oval! and does obscure things... just like our minds do if allowed

In the end, you can dehumanise the game, turn it into structures and processes and try to eliminate emotion or whatever else, but in the end, its played by red blooded humans who are fallible and who thrive on togetherness and teamwork.

Trying to get blokes to stick to structure ahead of flying the flag seems a little off
There are many possible reasons why they are not standing up for each other physically... we cant assume they are following structures, but it is definitely possible.

Other possible reasons:

1. Are so focussed on themselves that they simply don't care about their team mates.

2. They are timid and concerned that they might get hurt if they confront aggressors

3. The team wants to be portrayed as a nice team with players from all clubs having fun and enjoying playing the game

I recall Begley knocking over Selwood in the JLT and going back to him and helping him up and Selwood getting angry and telling him to f#ck off

Amazingly Worsfold was one of the nastiest mongrels ever to play the game, alongside guys such as Brereton.

He has obviously experienced a few life changing events and has completely changed his thinking and mellowed .. he sends congratulations to players on reaching their 50th games and this kind of thing.

I remember Hird saying he was committed to hardening the team up. Only mistake that he really made was taking on Dank. But in many ways, his thinking was correct. Knights had the Dons playing like 2017 and Hird was trying to convert them into a more physical team. Sheedy arrived at the club and did likewise.

There are many possible reasons why they are not standing up for each other physically... we cant assume they are following structures, but it is definitely possible.

Other possible reasons:

1. Are so focussed on themselves that they simply don't care about their team mates.

its clear!

how did Mutch go in his debut?

"I just played my role today"

"he just concentrated on his role, its all we asked"

MY role
HIS role

all insular terms

I understand if 22 people do their role it can create a winning system.. but you still have 22 ppl in their own individual bubbles and mindsets.

id love to leave this individual role talk and head toward a communal mindset - one in all in

WE, OUR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back