Prediction Leadership Group 2016

Who should be in the 2016 leadership group?

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Jones (c)
Dunn (vc)
Viney
McDonald
Vince
Watts

I erred for a little bit between Watts and Grimes ... both have something to prove, but i think Grimes needs less responsibility to concentrate on solidifying a spot, whereas I think Watts would benefit from the vote of confidence.

Ideally I think a leadership group should be anywhere between 4-7 players. More than 7 is just excessive. I'm also not huge on putting players in the leadership group that are not cemented best 22.

For me Lumumba, Grimes, Trengove and Dawes need to earn their spot first and lead by example with on field performance before worrying about what they can contribute off it.

In: Viney, McDonald, Vince
Out: Cross (retired), Lumumba, Dawes, Grimes

Jones (Captain): A lock, obvious choice for captain, not going anywhere
Dunn (Vice): was vice last year and again showed leadership in defence.
Viney: good on field leader, leads by example, cemented into our best midfield, definite promotion
Vince: Reigning B and F winner, oldest player on our list, led by example with strong jobs on Dangerfield and Pendlebury
McDonald: defender coming of age, has earned it through performances and a great clubman

possible one from left field....
Garlett: amazingly one of the oldest on our list, and outside of Dawes (cringe) we have very few mature leaders in our forward line. Played very well and consistently in 2015 and seems to have turned it around off field as far as we know and the responsibility of being a leader may help him keep it this way.

Others:
Jetta: wouldn't be against it but seems a quiet figure and we have enough leaders in defence already
Brayshaw: future leader yes but too young now

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Five man LG for mine: Jones, Dunn, Vince, Viney, T Mac. Vince a possible VC.

Dawes, Grimes and Lumumba are not clear best 22 nor were they anywhere near consistent enough last season. Jetta maybe, but that would make half of the LG being comprised of our back six which seems a strange balance with no forwards. Tyson needs to really set a standard this season to be considered. Watts is vocal at training which is good but is clearly not yet a leader on the field where it counts most.

My conspiracy theory based on the team photo:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-02-04/photo-gallery-thursday-february-4

So the middle of the pic has Roosy, flanked by Chunk and Bernie, the they're flanked by TMac and Dunn, then followed by Dawes and Dom.

A change in the leadership structure?

Last year, Dunn was VC. Does this mean that Bernie has jumped into VC and TMac into the Leadership group? Dawes remains, but Lumumba has been dropped? Is Tyson in?

Yes, the pre-season really has come down to over-analysis of a simple photograph. I'm desperate for some footy.

I'm going to be honest, Viney will be in the leadership group and probably captain one day. but i don't think he should be in now, although if it's peer based voting he'll definitely be in. Bloke is to intense needs to find a bit of balance first

Last edited:

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
I'm going to be honest, Viney will be in the leadership group and probably captain one day. but i don't think he'll should be in now, although if it's peer based voting he'll definitely be in. Bloke is to intense needs to find a bit of balance first

I agree with this. Viney is still very young in the scheme of things and I'm not sure there's any benefit of catapulting him in to a leadership position just yet. For me, I like the set up of -

Jones (c)
Dunn (vc)
Vince
McDonald/Lumumba (It will/should be one of these two imo, not both)
Garlett - maybe a bit out of left field but I have a vague recollection of him doing some good things off the field last year with some of the younger kids, and obviously had a fairly prolific output on the field. Certain starter if fit and could thrive on the challenge.

Some big changes to the group..
N Jones (c)
Tom McDonald
Colin Garland
Max Gawn
Bernie Vince
Jack Viney

Love the eye to the future with Max the only one who has surprised me
Im not surprised tbh. The guy spews leadership.

Feb 17, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NY Giants, Oregon Ducks
Surprised at no Dunn, but with Tommy Mac in, he needs to make it his defence.

Love that Gawny is in. Jack Viney should be a fixture in the leadership for the rest of his career now.

Happy with this, these players really drive the standards for improvement and are worthy of the title.

Am very surprised though that Dunn got the chop after one season, perhaps he is opting to concentrate on footy than leadership responsibilities. or the club wants to hand some leadership over to the generation that is expect to drive us forward

I think Garland opted out of last season, maybe its similar with Dunn.

Good choices all round I think, though LD thrived last year and seems to have a more mature head on his shoulders on field than TMac.

Maybe the leadership will change that, and hopefully means he's staying.

Back