Prediction Leadership group 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to get some young blood in there too...Steele and/ or Billings for me.

I’m sure I heard / read somewhere that JB is really vocal at the club and he was one of the two sent to Shanghai to check it out. Put the expectation and responsibility on him and I wouldn’t be surprised to see his game flourish and him rise to the challenge.I don’t think he’s the same shy young guy who arrived at the club.

Risky, but not a bad risk to take. We should probably wait to see if he signs on after next year first, but still...a bit of extra responsibility could do wonders for him and the team.

I think he'd be good. Takes no crap, a bloody good player, defends his team mates, cares when we lose, and is a surprisingly good speaker. Worth putting into the leadership group at least.
He also has a history of cracking on the field when it gets tough and making stupid decisions in games which result in constant fines/reports. He is a very good player and we need him playing well, but there is more to being captain than playing well. He isnt the best person to represent the playing group on and off the field.

Also, all the players care when we lose. What a stupid comment to make.

I think he'd be good. Takes no crap, a bloody good player, defends his team mates, cares when we lose, and is a surprisingly good speaker. Worth putting into the leadership group at least.

Watching behind the play when it was a fairly inexperienced backline Carlisle was running the show directing and organising everyone. Was the only one doing it too. Plus he won't let you down in the air or by foot. Have him and Steele as co-captains and let someone else be the good media boy for the club.

He also has a history of cracking on the field when it gets tough and making stupid decisions in games which result in constant fines/reports. He is a very good player and we need him playing well, but there is more to being captain than playing well. He isnt the best person to represent the playing group on and off the field.

I think he's matured over the last while. He is a father now too & a kid will further assist with his maturity. I also listed other reasons for my opinion as to why he would be a good leader besides being a good player.As for my "stupid" comment, what I meant is that he is visibly upset when the Saints lose a game, unlike some others whom appear at best nonchalant. I'd say the same for Ross & Dunstan. It's good to see a genuine response from players outside of media training. It's honest, and human...which are both good leadership traits to add to those previously specified. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Risky, but not a bad risk to take. We should probably wait to see if he signs on after next year first, but still...a bit of extra responsibility could do wonders for him and the team.

I’d pre-empt the whole saga of will he / won’t he sign by doing it now. Empower him and he won’t necessarily be so keen to leave.
We can not afford to lose our #3 pick. I know it’s more than a number now, but I think he’s got huge upside still.

That is, of course, if he is putting his hand up for leadership in and around the club..

I’d pre-empt the whole saga of will he / won’t he sign by doing it now. Empower him and he won’t necessarily be so keen to leave.
We can not afford to lose our #3 pick. I know it’s more than a number now, but I think he’s got huge upside still.

That is, of course, if he is putting his hand up for leadership in and around the club..

I think you're onto something...by empowering him he will show his hand with respect to his intentions. I'd hate to lose him, though I do query his head space at times, particularly confidence, that will change though, with either greater responsibility, or just natural maturity. I like what I'm hearing from a few of the younger guys within the 22-25 year old bracket. It seems an influential number are ready to put their hand up for a bigger role and a larger say. It can only be a good thing.

I think you're onto something...by empowering him he will show his hand with respect to his intentions. I'd hate to lose him, though I do query his head space at times, particularly confidence, that will change though, with either greater responsibility, or just natural maturity. I like what I'm hearing from a few of the younger guys within the 22-25 year old bracket. It seems an influential number are ready to put their hand up for a bigger role and a larger say. It can only be a good thing.

I’m hoping that last year was just a year too soon for Billings, Steele, Acres and Paddy to step up after Roo and Joey. I don’t believe the middle tier leaders really did, ( excluding Robbo and Bruce for obvious reasons) possibly with the exception of Ross and Carlisle to an extent, but now, hopefully, they’re ready to assume some of the leadership mantle.

Heaven knows we need them to step up now. I have always said that we expect too much of our players too soon. There are always one or two who are ready to go from the beginning, a la Bont, but for the most part they need to mature from boys to young men, both in playing and maturity..

I’m hoping that last year was just a year too soon for Billings, Steele, Acres and Paddy to step up after Roo and Joey. I don’t believe the middle tier leaders really did, ( excluding Robbo and Bruce for obvious reasons) possibly with the exception of Ross and Carlisle to an extent, but now, hopefully, they’re ready to assume some of the leadership mantle.

Heaven knows we need them to step up now. I have always said that we expect too much of our players too soon. There are always one or two who are ready to go from the beginning, a la Bont, but for the most part they need to mature from boys to young men, both in playing and maturity..

Do you think a rotating captaincy could work...sort of like the Grant Thomas days with Ball, Hays, & Roo? The idea was to fast track leadership among those guys and have it filter down to the rest. It arguably worked reasonably well when you consider the team of the mid noughties. Maybe worth considering again? We could do with some fast tracking.

Do you think a rotating captaincy could work...sort of like the Grant Thomas days with Ball, Hays, & Roo? The idea was to fast track leadership among those guys and have it filter down to the rest. It arguably worked reasonably well when you consider the team of the mid noughties. Maybe worth considering again? We could do with some fast tracking.

I really liked that idea at the time and thought it definitely added to having more leaders on the field, even when they weren’t captain. Not sure if Billings etc are ready quite yet though.

Even though Roo was young, he and Lenny had leadership in spades. Harves was quieter if I recall correctly, but he had the respect of the team. Doubt they would go back to it though.

im all for the rotating captancy thing ... its funny i remember in 2006 laughing at Carlton as they struggled to find a player on their list who could be their captain and here we were with three ready made ones and the likes of Kosi, Dal and BJ who (had GT not got the sack) would have got their shot as captains...
here we are now and we are in the position that Carlton were in during that peroid where no one player really stands out as the captain material... i think in the released video of Clarke Coff and Daults nailed it that the improvment is going to come from the young guys doing the work right now so i think we need to put them in that spot light ... so for the next few years rotate it so we get a year of Steele leading a year of Battle leading a year of Coff... they will be inexperianced for sure but thats where Billy Slater comes in to help with that leadership ... i think it would be a waste to go with Gears again ... and i think Ross would be a great captain i think both he and Dunstan need to focus on their game more than leading

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just don't like cardigans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back