News Leadership Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Lord Nev

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne

Don't have strong feelings about it, but seems a little weird maybe that we don't name the full leadership group. That seems to have been the case for a few years now I think?

"The pair will be further strengthened by a number of senior players, who will continue to provide mentorship and guidance for the entire playing group. "

Unlike me to say this, but who cares? Leadership groups are toss anyway. Captain and Vice are enough. Dont need half the list named as a leader like we've done in the past.

I'm pretty we dont have an official leadership group outside C & VC.

We definitely do. It gets mentioned all the time in club articles during the year, usually when talking about specific players ie ANB, Lever, Trac etc. Even the quote above says we do. Not a big deal, reckon we al know who they would be anyways, just seems a little weird to not just list them in articles when clearly the club defines it. Meh.

Lock and forget for the next couple of years as well. I can't see this changing anytime soon. Vines obviously a true leader onfield and at training. We want the young kids to mirror this bloke and how he goes about it. And Max is the mouthpiece. Veteran star of the comp that can work the media beautifully. Not a perfect duo by any stretch, and you can argue leadership has let us down at times last couple of years onfield and with the issues surrounding the club atm(could the leaders have done more?), but I'm not sure we have a better duo to lead right now. There's a part of me that still wants Vines as the C, but not sure he has the subtlety needed in this era.

Maybe we haven't settled on the LG? We haven't had a problem naming them in the past.

Hope Clarry is in it

From the 2023 announcement:

"The formidable duo will be further supported by a number of senior players, who will continue to drive elite standards and behaviours among the group."

Gawn, Viney to lead again in 2023

From the 2022 announcement:

"Coming off the success of last season, there were few surprises with the Demons’ selections to lead the way this year, although the club will continue to lean on a variety of other players to help drive the group forward."

Leaders locked in: Gawn, Viney to continue in 2022

Unlike me to say this, but who cares? Leadership groups are toss anyway. Captain and Vice are enough. Dont need half the list named as a leader like we've done in the past.
Yeah it's a bit of a wank isn't it. Even vice is but I get it for the fact of meeting a deputy but let's get it real. It's Gawn captain, Viney the captain around the building with actions and May the captain on field with directions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back