Leadership group in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Serong too young still?

It's either now or Pearce gets another year as caretaker before Caleb takes over in 2025
He’ll be 23 at the start of the 2024 season. Plenty of excellent, long-term captains have started at around that age - Selwood and Worsfold spring to mind.

If Pearce isn’t captain next year, I believe he’ll continue as part of the leadership group imo. Mundy stayed in there for 5 years after he was no longer captain.

Gonna be a random opinion on here.

People say that David Mundy was a horrible captain in 2016. Why is that?

The bloke was averaging 23.66 disposals a game in 2016.

I don't think he was a bad Captain. Our squad was playing horribly in 2016.

David Mundy averaged 21.33 disposals a game in 2017.

You might as well say Matty Pavlich was a bad Captain in 2008 and 2009 because the dockers in both seasons got bottom 4 in both years. That doesn't sound right.

Well the players vote, so really it’s up to them.
I personally don’t like Pearce as captain for many reasons, but the fans don’t get a vote.

Gonna be a random opinion on here.

People say that David Mundy was a horrible captain in 2016. Why is that?

The bloke was averaging 23.66 disposals a game in 2016.

I don't think he was a bad Captain. Our squad was playing horribly in 2016.

David Mundy averaged 21.33 disposals a game in 2017.

You might as well say Matty Pavlich was a bad Captain in 2008 and 2009 because the dockers in both seasons got bottom 4 in both years. That doesn't sound right.
I don’t think Mundy was necessarily a bad captain at all. We only got one year to sample and that’s probably not enough to judge. It’s just that we already had better on field leader in Fyfe who also happened to be more articulate.
And I don’t subscribe to the theory that captain has to be the best player in the team, has to be the best leader though. If the captain is both at the same time then great.

I don’t think Mundy was necessarily a bad captain at all. We only got one year to sample and that’s probably not enough to judge. It’s just that we already had better on field leader in Fyfe who also happened to be more articulate.
And I don’t subscribe to the theory that captain has to be the best player in the team, has to be the best leader though. If the captain is both at the same time then great.
I personally would of had Mundy captain in 2017 as well.

As you said , captains don't have to be the best player in the team.

They have to be the hardest workers and best trainers to set good examples though

Yeah I'm leaning further towards giving it to Serong from next year.

Soz Andy I was on your train from day 1, but I've moved over, Caleb has the Selwood about him
It can only be Serong. Our leadership group is soft and uninspiring and desperately needs to be changed up. Serong is the first one to back up team mates in a fight, he can deliver a spray when needed, and he has a nick to kick clutch goals when needed.

It can only be Serong. Our leadership group is soft and uninspiring and desperately needs to be changed up. Serong is the first one to back up team mates in a fight, he can deliver a spray when needed, and he has a nick to kick clutch goals when needed.
Definititely. Brayshaw is great, but he's too Vanilla, just too nice. Serong is the man with a more hardened and competitive appeal. He should be Captain, if not next year then in 2025. with Brayshaw and Young his 2 Deputies.

Different sport but this is a good clip of one of the best captains ever seen in a team sport. Literally dragged the performance level of every player at Man United to a sufficiently high level where an already top class collection of players won probably double the amount of PL titles they should have between about 1994 and 2005, through sheer force of Will and leadership.

When people say it doesn’t matter who the captain is, i find that so frustrating. The issue I have with Pearce is he’s not a good enough player to be captain. Prett sure Cobbler said it on here too. He’s not in the top 10 players at the club. That means when his form dips during the season, as it invariably does to most mid ranking players on any AFL team at times, his place suddenly comes under question in the team.
Most teams in the AFL have a top 5 or 6 player as captain and their spot on the team is without question when fit. Moore at Collingwood. Gawn at Melbourne. Neale/Andrews at Brissy. Cripps at Carlton. Port Adelaide are probably the only exception that are similar to ourselves with Jonas not currently in the side and retiring this year.
At times this year there has been a genuine argument that Hamling should be selected ahead of Pearce on form.

Another negative that wakojako highlighted here last week is that he apparently doesn’t train fully during the weeks with the club (as per JL recently) due to managing injury? This is another problem, The captain should be setting standards at training each week for all the players, especially a young list like freo. How is Pearce meant to do that when he is not in full training for most of the season?
It’s not his fault but it’s also not ideal.
Serong or Brayshaw would be great, my preference is Serong and just like Joel Selwood became captain at 23, Caleb should be next season. For the next decade.

I agree, Serong is the right man for the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I know is that Pearce needs to just be demoted down to a leadership group member, being captain this year seems to have taken a hit to his game.

Is it being captain or is it being injured all year? His last month or so has been great.

It’s kind of funny how people think being captain has made him so much worse than last year…

Was the fact he captained the majority of last season erased from history just because the players didn’t vote him in until this year?

I can see how it’s slightly different but he doesn’t ‘need’ to go unless the players vote someone else in. That’s our system and it’s integrity needs to be maintained.

What might need to change is some other members of the leadership group. Looking at JOM and maybe Switta - I’d like our leadership group to be guaranteed best 22 players tbh. JOM can still mentor younger mids whether he’s in the leadership group or not, just like Fyfe and Walters do.

It’s kind of funny how people think being captain has made him so much worse than last year…

Was the fact he captained the majority of last season erased from history just because the players didn’t vote him in until this year?

I can see how it’s slightly different but he doesn’t ‘need’ to go unless the players vote someone else in. That’s our system and it’s integrity needs to be maintained.

What might need to change is some other members of the leadership group. Looking at JOM and maybe Switta - I’d like our leadership group to be guaranteed best 22 players tbh. JOM can still mentor younger mids whether he’s in the leadership group or not, just like Fyfe and Walters do.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

kind of the opposite actually.

and I am definitely not KT - there’s not a lot of common ground between the 2 of us.
What do you mean Vintage? You're a Freo supporter. I'm a Freo supporter. All the common ground we need right there.

Have a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back