• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Now we've all seen the ridiculous situation of sides where half the team appear to be in the official leadership group. A obviously silly situation.

I think that leadership groups should be no more than 6.

Why 6? Because it allows ever "line" (Forwards, Midfielders, Backs) to have a leader and backup.

What about Captain & Vice Captains? They're included in the 6 taking the responsibility for their "line" as well.

What do you think? Is 6 not enough? Is it too much? Should everyone be in the leadership group or just the Captain and Vice Captain?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There's no rule but I think any more than 3-6 is just spreading too thin. We aren't talking about leaders, in which you don't need a title to show leadership and you can have a dozen players with this trait. We are talking about formal designated positions in a hierarchy or group and yeh for that I'd say any more than 6/44 Which equates to about 14% is overkill.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Used to be one captain, one vice-captain and a deputy vice-captain.

That was enough.

Seems today, it isn't leadership being sought, but player loyalty from titles granted.
Or the feeding of egos

No problem with 5-6 players tops (basically Captain, Vice, plus one for each area of the ground). Adding 9 to your leadership group just devalues the whole idea of being a "leader"

It's like in the workplace. If there's 1 manager, they are THE authority. If everyone is given some variation of manager (Area manager, 2IC, etc.) then your status as "manager" means nothing

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Or the feeding of egos

No problem with 5-6 players tops (basically Captain, Vice, plus one for each area of the ground). Adding 9 to your leadership group just devalues the whole idea of being a "leader"

It's like in the workplace. If there's 1 manager, they are THE authority. If everyone is given some variation of manager (Area manager, 2IC, etc.) then your status as "manager" means nothing
I agree. Too many devalues the meaning. Captain and vice is enough. I've said it about our group but also said if it works for them then so be it.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Within 10 years everyone will become a captain the day they are drafted and within two years you will be a super captain, then a grand captain, a mega captain and the coin toss will be attended by one player with the title of super-dooper-king-kong-ultra-captain.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
In reference to Andrew Embley missing out on the leadership group at WC one year, Dennis Cometti wryly remarked (and I paraphrase) - "Well maybe he can be the leader of the non-leadership group."

Pretty much sums up the nonsense that is a 'leadership group'.
funny thing was Glen jackovich or Peter Matera was never captain

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Or the feeding of egos

sounds fair. Midfielders player in the midfield, on the forward flanks and back flanks anyway.

Your going to have the occasion to have Co Captains, one bloke will be 30-31 at the near end of his career. The other bloke will be 22-24, developing and slowly groomed as the replacement

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Most clubs who publicise their large leadership groups tend to be unsuccessful.

Captain and vice captain should be visible, with workers underneath.

Richmond have had Cotchin with Riewoldt and Rance. We have had Hurn with Shuey. If you have strong leaders, you do not need a large leadership group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Used to be one captain, one vice-captain and a deputy vice-captain.

That was enough.

Seems today, it isn't leadership being sought, but player loyalty from titles granted.

Footy has changed heaps. I don’t think people appreciate just how segregated teams are into forward / midfield / defensive groups. In everything they do. It makes sense to have proper leaders for each.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say three.. one for each end and centre traffic controller..

but for general club duties.. it should be one captain.. with a dude on standby when the captain is having a coughing fit..
ie ready for media duties...

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What does the leadership group actually do?Does anyone know? Or is it a case of "well he fooked up , we'check with the coach to see what we can do about that"Leadership groups overrated massively

At Hawthorn they increased the punishment when Hodge was done drink driving. They werent happy with what Clarko suggested.

Back