Analysis Leadership, where is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

the leader

250px-The_Leader.jpg
How dare you post pictures of *hird and the * cultists here!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Too many of our so called leaders go 'missing' when it gets too hard or the team needs to lift. Some of our recent close losses and stuff ups could and should have been avoided. We have absolutely no one of the calibre of a Selwood, Hodge, Watson, Judd, Riewoldt, J Brown, Goodes, Voss etc. These type of leaders thrive on the pressure, perform week in week out and get their team over the line in the tight ones. JZ has potential but has a long long way to go to reach those heights.

Can we once and for all just cut this crap about Goldy not being able to play with another ruckman?

First of all the sample is small in the first place and second we don't need another ruckman in the side. We need a forward who can play as a relief ruckman. We need Daw or Ben Brown not a Dan Currie. Dan Currie is there to fill the 1st ruckman position if Goldy is not available.

Can we once and for all just cut this crap about Goldy not being able to play with another ruckman?

First of all the sample is small in the first place and second we don't need another ruckman in the side. We need a forward who can play as a relief ruckman. We need Daw or Ben Brown not a Dan Currie. Dan Currie is there to fill the 1st ruckman position if Goldy is not available.

Agree, with all of this just not sure either of these players are capable.

Daw is miles off AFL level so hopefully Brown can come on and quickly.

Thank you. I said exactly the same a couple of weeks ago.

Feel like I should set up a cron job to just post this after every game.

make JZ captain and watch him rise too the task ,i like drew but he is no captain ....

Unfortunately i dont think Jack is ready at this stage either, he has a lot to learn still. Play consistent then possibly but at this stage he needs to concentrate on his footy.

This is the reason why I don't have Goldstein as untouchable........and offered him up as a possible trade for pick 1 (if GWS was serious). And yes Tom Boyd would have been my pick 1. As DarwinRoo says I'll keep beating this ol' drum.
Goldsteins inability to work in tandem with another recognised ruck man and the fact he can't go up forward and take a mark like many other ruck man in the league is an eyesore, Im surprised many here don't see it, but thats cool we battle on and be mediocre in the process.

I have big expectations of this list like many but I am willing to call what I think is right......against the grain here.
thats the beauty of forums everyone has the right to have an opinion.
Have to agree here, I think he's a big softie. Great tap ruckman.. but that's it. Offers nothing else around the ground. Not physical enough to be feared (like most of our list) a bloke his size should dominate and intimidate other ruckman. He's only going to get slower and weaker as he gets older too.. I know he's still only 25 but an explosive type ruckman is so valuable in this game nowadays.. I don't care how many taps Will Minson has etc.. I'd still rather a Nic Nat type of ruckman who can run and carry, jump over blokes and take marks (& kick goals after the siren:eek:)

Dean Cox is obviously the one who springs to mind in terms of leadership, toughness and ability to swing matches.

I think Zeibell has shown loads of leadership on many occasions. Playing through injury, kicking big goals, winning a contest in a crucial moment. He didn't show much on Friday but we can't just write him off and say he's not a good leader. Let's see how he responds, that's tge test for him.

I think Zeibell has shown loads of leadership on many occasions. Playing through injury, kicking big goals, winning a contest in a crucial moment. He didn't show much on Friday but we can't just write him off and say he's not a good leader. Let's see how he responds, that's tge test for him.

don't think anyone is riding him off but a leader plays consistent footy week in week out whether we are winning or losing. That is the major problem with all our leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't think anyone is riding him off but a leader plays consistent footy week in week out whether we are winning or losing. That is the major problem with all our leaders.

To tell you the truth after I read my post I thought geez that's got a bit of Sooz about it.

Got it, sack Petrie!! base the team around Goldsteins inability to take overhead marks.
I understand.

This is the reason why I don't have Goldstein as untouchable........and offered him up as a possible trade for pick 1 (if GWS was serious). And yes Tom Boyd would have been my pick 1. As DarwinRoo says I'll keep beating this ol' drum.
Goldsteins inability to work in tandem with another recognised ruck man and the fact he can't go up forward and take a mark like many other ruck man in the league is an eyesore, Im surprised many here don't see it, but thats cool we battle on and be mediocre in the process.

I have big expectations of this list like many but I am willing to call what I think is right......against the grain here.
thats the beauty of forums everyone has the right to have an opinion.

Actually, that's bullshit, Goldy can kick goals and take marks. Thing is he rarely ever gets the chance to. He's either rucking around the ground or having a spell. He doesn't "rest" foreward.

Actually, that's bullshit, Goldy can kick goals and take marks. Thing is he rarely ever gets the chance to. He's either rucking around the ground or having a spell. He doesn't "rest" foreward.

There is a reason you know....the club recognises his limitations up front when resting.
For an experiment for the year.....we can all vote on it over head marks and goals for the year..........then you can say Im full of shite.

There is a reason you know....the club recognises his limitations up front when resting.
For an experiment for the year.....we can all vote on it over head marks and goals for the year..........then you can say Im full of shite.
Your first statement is plainly untrue. The reason he isn't put up forward often is because he doesn't a proper chop out and needs to sit on the bench to recover.

Your first statement is plainly untrue. The reason he isn't put up forward often is because he doesn't a proper chop out and needs to sit on the bench to recover.

Overhead marks not out by himself unmarked ......lets just see how many he takes this year. Whats an acceptable pass mark for the remaining games of our season. You decide.....just for fun.
There's a reason why he doesn't go forward.

Yeah, I just stated it.
So with almost every other team they rest now of the ruck man up in the forward line.......but Goldstein must have a spell when not rucking on the bench?? Dont you think with 120 rotations as a limit this puts Goldstein in a position where he has to work on his game as another option for us up forward?

He is a fantastic tap ruck man (albeit soft meh) but he does have deficiencies in aerial marking and we need this to be a serious contender for a tilt at the flag.
What does Drew Petrie have to do with it?

View attachment 48732
That photo is a thing of beauty, buts way to far from being the norm. one a week of these would be fantastic.....but its not often we see that.
Mark jackson took an overhead mark once.....Barassi (coach) said who the hell was that !!

Firrito didn't play last week.....congrats you did some home work. We'll do a count from now, onwards.

Last edited:
Until we address the problem, no.
Many agree with you DR.
We don't agree on Goldy. Thats cool with me.
Many comment on your behaviour to others is pathetic, ce la vie.
Goldy went down to injury. His record playing with a recognised ruck speaks for itself.
We erred with Hale, maybe we erred with Goldenboy.

Last edited:
Until we address the problem, no.
Many agree with you DR.
We don't agree on Goldy. Thats cool with me.
Many comment on your behaviour to others is pathetic, ce la vie.
Goldy went down to injury. His record playing with a recognised ruck speaks for itself.
We erred with Hale, maybe we erred with Goldenboy.

You don't even know what the problem is.

We don't need another recognised ruck in the side. We have one already and he is a 2 time All Australian nominee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back