Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
So it sucks.
Let's say 7-13 Essendon are playing two other non finals contenders in rounds 22 & 23. Senior players are carrying niggles and aren't worth risking. Three players make their debuts in these two games. Is is still worthless?

Reactions: SM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the league and the money on offer for finishing in the top 4 dilutes these domestic cups more than anything else. A trophy should be but sadly its not enough reward for clubs compared to the financial windfall of finishing in a UCL spot.
My main argument is the FA Cup is THE main domestic knockout cup comp.

What is the League cup for? If it's for the kids, then we could say the EFL Trophy is for that with all these U23s teams added.

chef

Oct 5, 2007
Kyabramovich
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
I dunno, its another trophy to win, allows others in the squad to press their claims and it really doesnt clog up the schedule.

I dont get the hate myself.

chef

Oct 5, 2007
Kyabramovich
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yep, it's great to see youth get a chance to stake their claims at their clubs.

Was so inspiring for all the youth winners this season. Ederson, Zinchenko, Laporte, Otamendi, Walker, Silva, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo Silva & Aguero. Even more youth like Sane, Kompany & Gundogan got to play a bit. Sorry for the other youth that didn't get on the park like Foden, Muric but probably felt most sorry for the youth of Mahrez.

Youth. :tearsofjoy:
City is the exception not the rule though, with the finacial advantage they have over the rest of us they just have better depth footballers.

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
If I was an 18 year old footballer and got a senior game in the league cup because someone else needed a rest I'd love it.

But Muric and Garcia in particular played because we want them to get senior game time.
Definitely agree with this.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
I dunno, its another trophy to win, allows others in the squad to press their claims and it really doesnt clog up the schedule.

I dont get the hate myself.
There isnt any hate about the league cup, just ideas for change with a competition that has become stale.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
There isnt any hate about the league cup, just ideas for change with a competition that has become stale.
Bomberboy hates it, and hates it every year and says the same thing every year. It's honestly pretty boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
EFL clubs play 46 games a season, PL clubs could play less than that even with a reasonable Cup run in both Cups, how do they clog up the schedule?
Lets take Liverpool for example

Prem 38 games,
CL max 13 games,
FA Cup max 6 games,
League cup max 6 games,
Club world cup max 2 games,
Super cup 1 game,
Community shield 1 game,
7 pre-season friendlies

= max 74 games.

Worst case scenario we'd play about 56 games.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
Lets take Liverpool for example

Prem 38 games,
CL max 13 games,
FA Cup max 6 games,
League cup max 6 games,
Club world cup max 2 games,
Super cup 1 game,
Community shield 1 game,
7 pre-season friendlies

= max 74 games.

Worst case scenario we'd play about 56 games.
Let's take Cardiff for example...

Top Bottom