League Cup 2019/20

Remove this Banner Ad

[
Sources with experience of the EFL's disciplinary process have told Sportsmail that in ordinary circumstances expulsion from the competition is the standard sanction for using a player who isn't eligible, but Liverpool are understood to be pinning the blame on the FA in the hope of being given a lesser punishment.

Liverpool contend they applied for an international transfer certificate for Pedro Chirivella when he returned to Anfield from a loan spell in Spain with Extremadura last summer, but the 22-year-old had not received clearance when he came off the bench for the final 27 minutes of Liverpool's third-round victory on Wednesday.

[

You have to question how the FA can take that long to process a clearance for a player who has been at the club for over 5 years and is returning on loan. I think it was logical of the club to assume that the FA had done their paperwork. Interesting to see what comes of this, there was no attempt by the club to gain an advantage by playing Chirivella and they had submitted all the paperwork to bring him back from loan.

You have to question how the FA can take that long to process a clearance for a player who has been at the club for over 5 years and is returning on loan. I think it was logical of the club to assume that the FA had done their paperwork. Interesting to see what comes of this, there was no attempt by the club to gain an advantage by playing Chirivella and they had submitted all the paperwork to bring him back from loan.

I would say it's naive to presume he had been cleared without confirmation.

I would say it's naive to presume he had been cleared without confirmation.

I would also say it's quite incompetent to take this long to process paperwork.

Its quite bizarre because he was ok to play in PL2. I guess the EFL runs the league cup and that's where the discrepancy has come in.
Do you need an international clearance to play PL2?

I would also say it's quite incompetent to take this long to process paperwork.
Wouldn't be the first incompetent thing the FA is done, although we don't know exactly when the papers were submitted, we're the completed correctly etc.

It's why I'd be pretty sure to get confirmation rather than just presume. And if the confirmation hadn't arrived after a reasonable amount of time I'd be chasing up why.

We've had guys like Allan, Arroyo and Awoniyi that haven't played for the U23s because they didn't have a permit. Chirivella has been here for ages.

Tried googling it and all I can find is a general statement on the fa's website that "any player who is wishing to register with a football club in England who had previously been registered for a club abroad is required to obtain international clearance". I cannot locate the exact rules which pertain to PL2 though. Also states on the FA website that international clearance is supposed to be completed within 30 days or the FA will provide provisional clearance. Again, that is a general rule rather than particular to PL2.

Cannot find the international clearance requirements for EFL competitions either - I assume they follow the fa.

Depending on the wording the provisional clearance could be an out. I suspect (guess) it doesn't apply, if it did this wouldn't really be a story.

As far as I can ascertain it seems that Chrivella would need a clearance to play PL2 but that does not seem to be an issue so it has to be something EFL related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everton 2-0 Watford
Man City 3-1 Southampton
Crawley Town 1-3 Colchester Utd
Oxford Utd 1-1 Sunderland (Oxford 4-2 on penalties)
Burton Albion 1-3 Leicester City

Everton 2-0 Watford
Man City 3-1 Southampton
Crawley Town 1-3 Colchester Utd
Oxford Utd 1-1 Sunderland (Oxford 4-2 on penalties)
Burton Albion 1-3 Leicester City
Apparently we were terrible but won. Silva still won't change from his 4-2-3-1 formation to suit the players.

Apparently we were terrible but won. Silva still won't change from his 4-2-3-1 formation to suit the players.

That’s what I made out of it too. Seen the line up & thought “great, 4-4-2!” with Kean & DCL, but then quickly found out Kean was playing on the right. Unforgivable stubbornness

That’s what I made out of it too. Seen the line up & thought “great, 4-4-2!” with Kean & DCL, but then quickly found out Kean was playing on the right. Unforgivable stubbornness
You fell for that? ;)

Poor Kean probably wonders what he got himself into, yet to score etc.

Pretty mediocre game for us. Did enough for the win but Southampton didn't really make it tough for us.

Great debut for Tommy Doyle who is about as close as we're going to get to club royalty.

Surely there’s a Danny Tiatto Jr running around somewhere.

Should be a stroll in the park for Arsenal today. Chirivella named on the bench for us haha, wonder if he's cleared yet.
Klopp is probably still pissed off you didn't get kicked out of the cup by the looks of that lineup. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back