Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Very fickle bunch of fans.

A trophy is a trophy.
And in some cases like arsenal and spurs and Swansea before that it's a band aid. A trophy will be nice but means nothing if we don't make the CL next season. Similar thing happened to ramos last time we won it. Great day. Great to look back on. But club went backwards post winning it

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cats2rise summarised it perfectly. Will only ever know if this cup is the big thing for spurs after the fact.

It could propel us to be constant winners. It could do nothing and we float around 4th to 7th for 12 years until our next one.

But now that we've made the final we've got to take it as seriously as any game this season. Regardless of "what this means" to spurs going forward, it'll be a nice sugar rush regardless even with the * next to it with the way it's gone down.

Important for what though? Important because it's a trophy and they don't win many, sure, but I doubt it makes them more likely to win a league or champions league.
League Cup success does not equate to us automatically being more likely to win a league or CL, but it could assist in keeping Kane, Son etc for a little longer or provide an additional 1% of effort/intent of a winning mentality in future semi finals or cup finals over the next few years.

It could be a springboard.

It also may not.

But it can’t hurt.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
League Cup success does not equate to us automatically being more likely to win a league or CL, but it could assist in keeping Kane, Son etc for a little longer or provide an additional 1% of effort/intent of a winning mentality in future semi finals or cup finals over the next few years.

It also may not.

But it can’t hurt.
The two quotes were taken at very different points in the competition as well. One after a semi final win which included a forfeit along the way, the other in the very early stages of the competition.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It also may not.

But it can’t hurt.

Yeah, it can't hurt. But Arsenal win cups all the time and they are further away from a league title than ever. Liverpool won the champions league and league without needing to win a cup first. Leicester won the league out of nowhere etc.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
There's little correlation between winning the cups and going on to win major trophies. City are a lock to win it pretty much every year, they are the only squad big enough to compete on all fronts with quality teams all the time. And they were already winning league titles before winning the cups.

That aside it's still nice to win a trophy. I have certainly enjoyed the 4 trophies we have won in the last 2 years. Even if only 2 of them were majors.

Yeah, it can't hurt. But Arsenal win cups all the time and they are further away from a league title than ever. Liverpool won the champions league and league without needing to win a cup first. Leicester won the league out of nowhere etc.
I don’t disagree at all with those examples.

I still want to win the damn thing though.

There's little correlation between winning the cups and going on to win major trophies. City are a lock to win it pretty much every year, they are the only squad big enough to compete on all fronts with quality teams all the time. And they were already winning league titles before winning the cups.

That aside it's still nice to win a trophy. I have certainly enjoyed the 4 trophies we have won in the last 2 years. Even if only 2 of them were majors.

Didn't Liverpool win the CL for the first time in over a decade then win the league the following season?

We're talking about the minor trophies here (FA Cup/League Cup).

I might need a chart of which trophies give you the confidence to go on and achieve further success, and which don't.

I might need a chart of which trophies give you the confidence to go on and achieve further success, and which don't.
Confirming which clubs that this applies to would also help.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Pretty sure Man City won the FA Cup first under Mancini and their new bank rolled owners before they went on to win the Premier League.

Pretty sure Man City won the FA Cup first under Mancini and their new bank rolled owners before they went on to win the Premier League.

We did. It was a significant one too, maybe more for the semi win against United than the final itself.

At that stage United was still the dominant team, and I think that win gave everyone confidence that we were good enough to topple them in the league.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Important for what though? Important because it's a trophy and they don't win many, sure, but I doubt it makes them more likely to win a league or champions league.
A trophy is a trophy. I'd love to have something to celebrate other than 7th...

We did. It was a significant one too, maybe more for the semi win against United than the final itself.

At that stage United was still the dominant team, and I think that win gave everyone confidence that we were good enough to topple them in the league.
Doing well in a Cup gave you confidence? Wowee.

Back