League Cup 2020/21

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
It just shows you that United aren't exactly an exciting attacking team.

We’re not bad to watch when we click and play good counter attacking football.

What it shows me is Ole struggles to get it right in important big games, with those 4 semi final performances being rather lackluster and him being out coached.

Pep nullified our counter attack, and nullified Bruno having any influence, Ole didn’t adapt.

Part of what Pochettino has said in regards to the FA and League Cups was a perfectly fair statement to make.

General gist was that these domestic trophies don’t change the stature of the club. His assertion that being middle of the table but having won a league cup probably would have seen him already sacked is entirely possible. See Juande Ramos.

The issue for me was always that his views on these competitions was then reflected with his attitude towards them. IMV he tanked them at times, and didn’t take them seriously. Had he merely made the call about how important it is for the clubs future or stature but then still moved heaven and earth to try and win it there would be no issue.

Stark contrast to Mourinho who values every cup he can still win.
Yeah, it can't hurt. But Arsenal win cups all the time and they are further away from a league title than ever. Liverpool won the champions league and league without needing to win a cup first. Leicester won the league out of nowhere etc.
That is all true, and ultimately was not the intention for the tweet that has sparked this discussion.

Was more just to highlight the vast difference in attitudes, which is reflected well with silverware of the two men.

If we say that the league was a rescue mission last season to salvage a spot as high as possible and the FA Cup was compromised by a spate of injuries then this is the first uninterrupted competition Jose has managed us in, and has got us back to Wembley swiftly. Feels good to have a manager who understands the importance of silverware.

Who knows if it is merely a chance to briefly end a barren run or a potential springboard. Won’t really care if Lloris is under Wembley’s arch on April 25.
I dont like Spurs chances of breaking that trophy drought. City basically own this competition.
Min 5 domestic matches.

Since takeover we have the 2nd best record v Man City iirc. Behind Liverpool.

Already beaten City twice in 2020. Blanked both times. Should be a hotly contested final.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Min 5 domestic matches.

Since takeover we have the 2nd best record v Man City iirc. Behind Liverpool.

Already beaten City twice in 2020. Blanked both times. Should be a hotly contested final.
They've been in poor form though, since then they have recovered and now back to their imperious best. Good luck but I cant see you beating City.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
They've been in poor form though, since then they have recovered and now back to their imperious best. Good luck but I cant see you beating City.

Spurs are every chance of beating City. Not ideal the final is in April though around European fixtures. The sides that play may be markedly different. Spurs haven't suffered a Kane/Son loss yet this year, if one of them were out it would be a big blow.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Spurs are every chance of beating City. Not ideal the final is in April though around European fixtures. The sides that play may be markedly different. Spurs haven't suffered a Kane/Son loss yet this year, if one of them were out it would be a big blow.
Big blow is an understatement!

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is it fair to say or assume that this final means a lot more to Spurs fans than Citeh ? (Not a criticsm btw, just been a while since Tottenham won silverwear, and I do believe that psychologically winning the Carbaro Cup would be a big boost to both the THFC players and fans)

Leeds have not been in a major cup final since 1996 (Coca Cola vs Villa) so I am not going to diminish the value of this.

Annoys me how so many so called Media Pundits like Piers 'Mad Dawg' Morgan have devalued the worth of these cups in recent years.

Elitist snobbery is what it is.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Does the LC final clash with Europe?
Yeah we'd be playing the Thursday before and after if we are still in it. Compared to Tue-Wed for the CL side. And who knows how much it'll clash with latter rounds of FA Cup and rescheduled COVID PL games. Will be tough on both sides but the trade off of having fans there might be worth it if even 30,000 can get into Wembley

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah we'd be playing the Thursday before and after if we are still in it. Compared to Tue-Wed for the CL side. And who knows how much it'll clash with latter rounds of FA Cup and rescheduled COVID PL games. Will be tough on both sides but the trade off of having fans there might be worth it if even 30,000 can get into Wembley

As said in the other thread FA Cup may need to give way so the LC final and all other rescheduled league fixtures can be completed.

The preferable option would be to scrap all international matches until the end of the season but that doesnt seem to be a possibility for some reason.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hmm City have just become that bit harder for Spurs.
Dont think the FA Cup result has a big impact. They've still got the two CL semi final legs either side of the final which I'd say have more bearing on the final the the FA cup a week earlier

Back