League Cup 2021/22 (Winners: Liverpool)

Remove this Banner Ad

Make it U23 players only from next season otherwise scrap this cup.
No law against clubs playing youf/fringe players if the competition is too inconvenient for them.

The league Cup is fantastic.

Forfeit would have to be a last resort. With the final at the end of Feb You'd hope to be able to fit the two legs in before then even if Liverpool can't play this week.

FA Cup might be tougher to reschedule if Liverpool can't play that as I think the next round is only a few weeks after this one.

Forfeit would have to be a last resort. With the final at the end of Feb You'd hope to be able to fit the two legs in before then even if Liverpool can't play this week.

FA Cup might be tougher to reschedule if Liverpool can't play that as I think the next round is only a few weeks after this one.

Just ridiculous there are 2 legs with all the 'rona going around atm. Im sure all 4 sides in the comp would have been happy with a one off fixture for the semi middle of next week. It would be the right thing to do and the EFL's needs to make extra revenue from 2 legs should not be prioritised over player welfare.

I doubt they budge after the 2019 quarter final / world club cup clash debacle where the EFL refused to budge. We will end up probably having to play the first leg mostly with 18/19 year old academy players.

We will end up probably having to play the first leg mostly with 18/19 year old academy players.

Liverpool have been using their reserves in the tournament so far. This was the team that started against Leicester. It's a bit rich for them to claim they can't field a team.

1641328409642.png

Just ridiculous there are 2 legs with all the 'rona going around atm. Im sure all 4 sides in the comp would have been happy with a one off fixture for the semi middle of next week. It would be the right thing to do and the EFL's needs to make extra revenue from 2 legs should not be prioritised over player welfare.

I doubt they budge after the 2019 quarter final / world club cup clash debacle where the EFL refused to budge. We will end up probably having to play the first leg mostly with 18/19 year old academy players.

I don't think there is any issue with player welfare. No-one is forcing you to play unfit or unprepared players.

You've asked for a postponement, when you have more players available you should play the fixtures as planned.

I don't think there is any issue with player welfare. No-one is forcing you to play unfit or unprepared players.

You've asked for a postponement, when you have more players available you should play the fixtures as planned.

Theres no time to fit two legs in if the first is postponed. There is european games in Feb plus catchup league fixtures.

It is common sense to play just one match.

19/20 January
25/26 January (or the weekend after if both sides are out of the FA Cup
Midweek before the final.

Shouldn't be a problem for you to fulfil the fixture.

EFL probably wont postpone. They wouldn't do it when our whole senior squad was unavailable 2 years ago for the quarter final.

EFL probably wont postpone. They wouldn't do it when our whole senior squad was unavailable 2 years ago for the quarter final.
I'm not sure if the rules in place for the league apply to the league Cup. If they do, and you have less than 13 plus a keeper available then it will be postponed.

You've got a big squad, and a lot of kids with senior experience so you must be properly screwed with covid if you can't field 13.

I'm not sure if the rules in place for the league apply to the league Cup. If they do, and you have less than 13 plus a keeper available then it will be postponed.

You've got a big squad, and a lot of kids with senior experience so you must be properly screwed with covid if you can't field 13.

Both Newcastle & Leicester easily could have fielded 13 against Spurs & Everton respectively but pulled the pin due to injuries in key areas more than covid. I've read runours we have 7-8 positive. 4 staff plus Klopp isolating with Covid. 8 injuries in the squad.

We'll undoubtedly release exactly how many positives we have shortly (without naming them) as the club has been very transparent with information unlike others. Considering we played the Chelsea & Spurs games with compromised teams due covid without complaint I imagine the final amount of positives will very likely be significant.

Both Newcastle & Leicester easily could have fielded 13 against Spurs & Everton respectively but pulled the pin due to injuries in key areas more than covid. I've read runours we have 7-8 positive. 4 staff plus Klopp isolating with Covid. 8 injuries in the squad.

We'll undoubtedly release exactly how many positives we have shortly (without naming them) as the club has been very transparent with information unlike others. Considering we played the Chelsea & Spurs games with compromised teams due covid without complaint I imagine the final amount of positives will very likely be significant.

Well Liverpool haven't released numbers, neither have other sides so you're just guessing like everyone else.

If you've got 7-8 positive plus 8 injuries you should be right to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Liverpool haven't released numbers, neither have other sides so you're just guessing like everyone else.

Liverpool have released positive numbers prior to Spurs & Chelsea away.

Interesting you believe 16 players out of a senior squad isn't enough for a postponement but Newcastle with nowhere near that many out were correct in postponing their game.

That’s 15-16 players..more than enough to postpone the game. How many injuries does Newcastle have? Hear nothing previously of their cases and then as soon as ASM and Wilson go down we hear of issues.

That’s 15-16 players..more than enough to postpone the game. How many injuries does Newcastle have? Hear nothing previously of their cases and then as soon as ASM and Wilson go down we hear of issues.

Nail hit on the head. Need more clubs like Leeds with the no bullshit approach but honestly why bother when it does you no favours.

By my count, we’ve got 3 still in isolation (Alisson, Matip, Firmino), 8 injuries (Phillips, Thiago, Hill, Balagizi, Elliott, Minamino, Origi, Stewart) and 3 at afcon (Keita, Mane, Salah).

So 14 players unavailable. And that’s before any new amount of positive tests that may have occurred today.

By my count, we’ve got 3 still in isolation (Alisson, Matip, Firmino), 8 injuries (Phillips, Thiago, Hill, Balagizi, Elliott, Minamino, Origi, Stewart) and 3 at afcon (Keita, Mane, Salah).

So 14 players unavailable. And that’s before any new amount of positive tests that may have occurred today.

Talk is more cases being announced today.

I do laugh when Karius & Adrian are counted as senior players available to play by some.

If it's the same rules as the league your eligible players are your senior squad plus any youth player on the books with senior experience. Liverpool have a lot of youth with senior experience.

I don't know how many injuries Newcastle had/have, I did hear that they were close to not being able to fielding a squad in the last game they played. And they got three injuries in that game.

Talk is more cases being announced today.

I do laugh when Karius & Adrian are counted as senior players available to play by some.
Why wouldn't Karius and Adrian be counted as senior players?

If you have three keepers fit out of the 14, are you expected to play them in other positions?

Neither are outfield players. Pitaluga has generally played as reserve keeper for LC games to Kelleher. Silly to include two keepers who aren't outfield players as part of the "squad" that's available to play the LC semi unless you think Karius playing at false #9 is an acceptable thing to happen in a League Cup semi vs Arsenal.

If you have three keepers fit out of the 14, are you expected to play them in other positions?

It seems he thinks it is fair and reasonable that we play the first leg vs Arsenal with Karius & Adrian playing as our central midfield combination surrounded by youf players and a few senior squad players.

Neither are outfield players. Pitaluga has generally played as reserve keeper for LC games to Kelleher. Silly to include two keepers who aren't outfield players as part of the "squad" that's available to play the LC semi unless you think Karius playing at false #9 is an acceptable thing to happen in a League Cup semi vs Arsenal.

I wasn't suggesting they should be treated as outfield players, just that they are senior players. The Premier league rules iirc are 13 outfield plus a keeper.

Not sure on the league Cup, whether they follow EFL rules or its just treated on a case by case basis.

It seems he thinks it is fair and reasonable that we play the first leg vs Arsenal with Karius & Adrian playing as our central midfield combination surrounded by youf players and a few senior squad players.
It seems that you've just made a strawman argument again.

Personally I don't care whether the game is postponed or not. If you've got enough players to play according to the rules, play. If not, postpone it.

I'm sure we'll find out what will happen later today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back