moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City ****
Our game is a day after the world cup final. Will be interesting to see who isn't available.

Zidane98

TheBrownDog
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Our game is a day after the world cup final. Will be interesting to see who isn't available.

Salah / Haaland will be good to go. Presume both will play as their first game in 6 weeks leading up to the busy post xmas league period.

Elmer_Judd

🎷🦍 🍀🏆
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

England will be out of the WC long before then, so it probably won't affect as many Premier League clubs as you think.

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
England will be out of the WC long before then, so it probably won't affect as many Premier League clubs as you think.

I suspect you are right but we don't know.

But then there are plenty of PL players representing other countries that might get into the later stages.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, WCW
I suspect you are right but we don't know.

But then there are plenty of PL players representing other countries that might get into the later stages.

I'm glad you've pointed out that we don't know how the as yet un-played WC will pan out.

Zidane98

TheBrownDog
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This round of the LC should have been played early December during the WC and the quarter finals on the 19th of December to alleviate the fixture pile up post xmas exacerbated by an entire round of catchup games needing to be played.

That would give an advantage to the smaller clubs with less players in WC squads. Not like bigger clubs wouldn't be able to field decent sides less players competing at the world cup.

Elmer_Judd

🎷🦍 🍀🏆
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
This round of the LC should have been played early December during the WC and the quarter finals on the 19th of December to alleviate the fixture pile up post xmas exacerbated by an entire round of catchup games needing to be played.

That would give an advantage to the smaller clubs with less players in WC squads. Not like bigger clubs wouldn't be able to field decent sides less players competing at the world cup.

I dunno why they just didn't premier league cups forfeit the League Cup this season and just let the Championship and lower division clubs fight it out for the spoils,given the condensed nature of the football calendar with the WC on ?

Seems obvious most PL clubs aren't taking it seriously this season for reasons I mentioned, so this season's winner (whoever it is) will have a big fat asterisk attached to it.

jod23

TheBrownDog
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
It is a real shame the TV games focus on all PL ties because it really should be about showcasing the league 1 teams etc. The PL teams already get coverage every week.
Yeah for sure MK Dons v Forest Green would be quite the showcase if that tie ever eventuates. Every body would be frothing to watch that over Manchester City v Liverpool.

Bradesmaen

TheBrownDog
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Yeah for sure MK Dons v Forest Green would be quite the showcase if that tie ever eventuates. Every body would be frothing to watch that over Manchester City v Liverpool.
Thanks for missing the point. And Tbh most of the time Liverpool versus City is a stalemate as they're afraid to attack each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I dunno why they just didn't premier league cups forfeit the League Cup this season and just let the Championship and lower division clubs fight it out for the spoils,given the condensed nature of the football calendar with the WC on ?

Seems obvious most PL clubs aren't taking it seriously this season for reasons I mentioned, so this season's winner (whoever it is) will have a big fat asterisk attached to it.

Does it seem obvious? They never take it seriously in the early rounds.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

I would rather watch Gils v Wolves, as an example, over a game I watched three weeks ago in the PL.

Elmer_Judd

🎷🦍 🍀🏆
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Does it seem obvious? They never take it seriously in the early rounds.

Perhaps, but I got the impression overall in the past few seasons that many Premier League clubs (even top 4 CL contenders) have started to take the League Cup considerably more seriously than they have in the past decade or two.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Perhaps, but I got the impression overall in the past few seasons that many Premier League clubs (even top 4 CL contenders) have started to take the League Cup considerably more seriously than they have in the past decade or two.

What impression would that be? In the final maybe, but we're not at the final yet so you can't really draw any conclusions about this season.

Zidane98

TheBrownDog
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

They only really take it seriously from semi finals (2 legs) onwards.

RPCB

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
It is a real shame the TV games focus on all PL ties because it really should be about showcasing the league 1 teams etc. The PL teams already get coverage every week.

The neutrals tuning in to watch Manchester United or Manchester City in the League Cup would probably give zero *s about tuning in for MK Dons or Charlton Athletic. I am sorry if that sounds elitist but that is the TV networks thinking and why this is a criticism every season with the league cup.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The neutrals tuning in to watch Manchester United or Manchester City in the League Cup would probably give zero *s about tuning in for MK Dons or Charlton Athletic. I am sorry if that sounds elitist but that is the TV networks thinking and why this is a criticism every season with the league cup.

Do you think many neutrals tune in for a fourth round League Cup game not featuring their team? Do you think more or less would tune in for a side they don't see regularly who might be having a good season?

E.g. Plymouth Argyle or Crewe Alexandra.

Hell, Wrexham in the FA Cup..

Bradesmaen

TheBrownDog
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
And this is how big teams escape the rest with extra revenue

RPCB

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Do you think many neutrals tune in for a fourth round League Cup game not featuring their team? Do you think more or less would tune in for a side they don't see regularly who might be having a good season?

E.g. Plymouth Argyle or Crewe Alexandra.

Hell, Wrexham in the FA Cup..

Probably not.

But I can see a broadcaster going the safer route ratings wise by televising PL clubs games in most cases. It sucks for clubs in lower divisions though.
And this is how big teams escape the rest with extra revenue
I wonder if the FA should have League 1 and lower clubs in the draw, for each round, only with PL clubs. That way you will ensure that they will be on TV. Otherwise it just doesn’t happen.

Remove this Banner Ad