League Cup League Cup 2022/23 (Winners: Manchester United)

League Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

******* horrific scheduling.
Yeah a mid-season world cup in a country with no regard for human rights is appalling scheduling

Salah / Haaland will be good to go. Presume both will play as their first game in 6 weeks leading up to the busy post xmas league period.

A bunch of national teams also have friendlies.

I suspect you are right but we don't know.

But then there are plenty of PL players representing other countries that might get into the later stages.

I'm glad you've pointed out that we don't know how the as yet un-played WC will pan out.

This round of the LC should have been played early December during the WC and the quarter finals on the 19th of December to alleviate the fixture pile up post xmas exacerbated by an entire round of catchup games needing to be played.

That would give an advantage to the smaller clubs with less players in WC squads. Not like bigger clubs wouldn't be able to field decent sides less players competing at the world cup.

This round of the LC should have been played early December during the WC and the quarter finals on the 19th of December to alleviate the fixture pile up post xmas exacerbated by an entire round of catchup games needing to be played.

That would give an advantage to the smaller clubs with less players in WC squads. Not like bigger clubs wouldn't be able to field decent sides less players competing at the world cup.

I dunno why they just didn't premier league cups forfeit the League Cup this season and just let the Championship and lower division clubs fight it out for the spoils,given the condensed nature of the football calendar with the WC on ?

Seems obvious most PL clubs aren't taking it seriously this season for reasons I mentioned, so this season's winner (whoever it is) will have a big fat asterisk attached to it.

It is a real shame the TV games focus on all PL ties because it really should be about showcasing the league 1 teams etc. The PL teams already get coverage every week.
Yeah for sure MK Dons v Forest Green would be quite the showcase if that tie ever eventuates. Every body would be frothing to watch that over Manchester City v Liverpool.

Yeah for sure MK Dons v Forest Green would be quite the showcase if that tie ever eventuates. Every body would be frothing to watch that over Manchester City v Liverpool.
Thanks for missing the point. And Tbh most of the time Liverpool versus City is a stalemate as they're afraid to attack each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno why they just didn't premier league cups forfeit the League Cup this season and just let the Championship and lower division clubs fight it out for the spoils,given the condensed nature of the football calendar with the WC on ?

Seems obvious most PL clubs aren't taking it seriously this season for reasons I mentioned, so this season's winner (whoever it is) will have a big fat asterisk attached to it.

Does it seem obvious? They never take it seriously in the early rounds.

I would rather watch Gils v Wolves, as an example, over a game I watched three weeks ago in the PL.

Does it seem obvious? They never take it seriously in the early rounds.

Perhaps, but I got the impression overall in the past few seasons that many Premier League clubs (even top 4 CL contenders) have started to take the League Cup considerably more seriously than they have in the past decade or two.

Perhaps, but I got the impression overall in the past few seasons that many Premier League clubs (even top 4 CL contenders) have started to take the League Cup considerably more seriously than they have in the past decade or two.

What impression would that be? In the final maybe, but we're not at the final yet so you can't really draw any conclusions about this season.

They only really take it seriously from semi finals (2 legs) onwards.

It is a real shame the TV games focus on all PL ties because it really should be about showcasing the league 1 teams etc. The PL teams already get coverage every week.

The neutrals tuning in to watch Manchester United or Manchester City in the League Cup would probably give zero *s about tuning in for MK Dons or Charlton Athletic. I am sorry if that sounds elitist but that is the TV networks thinking and why this is a criticism every season with the league cup.

The neutrals tuning in to watch Manchester United or Manchester City in the League Cup would probably give zero *s about tuning in for MK Dons or Charlton Athletic. I am sorry if that sounds elitist but that is the TV networks thinking and why this is a criticism every season with the league cup.

Do you think many neutrals tune in for a fourth round League Cup game not featuring their team? Do you think more or less would tune in for a side they don't see regularly who might be having a good season?

E.g. Plymouth Argyle or Crewe Alexandra.

Hell, Wrexham in the FA Cup..

And this is how big teams escape the rest with extra revenue

Do you think many neutrals tune in for a fourth round League Cup game not featuring their team? Do you think more or less would tune in for a side they don't see regularly who might be having a good season?

E.g. Plymouth Argyle or Crewe Alexandra.

Hell, Wrexham in the FA Cup..

Probably not.

But I can see a broadcaster going the safer route ratings wise by televising PL clubs games in most cases. It sucks for clubs in lower divisions though.
And this is how big teams escape the rest with extra revenue
I wonder if the FA should have League 1 and lower clubs in the draw, for each round, only with PL clubs. That way you will ensure that they will be on TV. Otherwise it just doesn’t happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back