Learnings from the JLT and scratchy

Remove this Banner Ad

General game plan? We got back to and smashed them in contested football, our pressure (especially forward) was good, we transitioned the ball through the corridor quickly and still had guys in our forward 50 when the ball got there. We utilised the right skills coming out of d50 (eg Ryan & Wilson) who generally chose good options, our spread downfield was much improved, and our players switched from defence to attack mode and vice versa far quicker than last year. Sounds a bit like the game plan of the last two AFL premiers to me.

Inserting this into the OP.

In a completely seperate incident, after Liam Ryan's big bump he came towards the interchange. Had a minor altercation with a freo player and then slapped him which was a bit of a surprise.

I saw that - it was with Lee Spurr. It looked like he took a swing from where I was standing

Didn't see the game but listening intently to the forward line comments.

I'm wondering how many teams actually have gun forward structures as opposed to great midfields which provide them with quick ball transitions before defensive structures are set up.

Im thinking the biggest issue is transition and quality f50 entry rather than structure.

I am deadly serious. I will risk my reputation as a respectable amateur journalist on the world-renowed stage of BigFooty - but I am saying the Genesis of a Premiership winning team is well underway.

I've been thinking the same through the preseason due to our last few years of drafting/trading. A few things still need to fall into place but methinks Rossco will have the best list he's ever had when "da yoof" mature into seasoned men. Not only that, I think it's more likely to be a more complete list, he has athletic footballers at his disposal instead of Athletes plugging the gaps in defence and the midfield, just needs a tweak or two to the forward line in the next 1-2 years of trade/draft.

Another thing I learned is how much the domino effect has had on our squad the past two seasons. Players like Fyfe, A Pearce, Mundy, Neale, Sandi all getting a proper crack at a preseason after returning from long layoffs and interrupted preseasons mean the fringe and bottom players (25-35) that were playing all get pushed out and we get that real quality back.

Bloody excited for Brayshaw, too. He helps to free up Fyfe and Mundy to go forward.

We got smashed in contested ball last season and I feel we have changed it up big time going on yesterday's game. We have always gone with Sandi to Fyfe or Sandi to Neale if Fyfe has been out. This has worked a treat in the past with Fyfe winning the Brownlow in 2015 and Neale getting the possessions in the AFL in 2016 when Fyfe was out. This clearance strategy works fine when Sandi is dominant/playing and in simple maths if we cover the exits, block and defend everything other than Sandi hitting down to our dominant mid we should win more clearances than we lose. That said we need to think post Sandi era and yesterday Sandi and Meek seemed to tap to other players or try different things and we were a little less predictable. I think this is important for us moving forward and with Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Neale and SHill hopefully all being/becoming all A graders inside dominate contested ball players.

I could be reading into yesterday's game too much with Eagles pretty much having D grade midfield and having Nic Nat out. That said, I'm confident our midfield is going to one in the best in the AFL if Cerra and Brayshaw can match their hype.

Going into Round 1 it's a completely different ball game coming up against Ryder, Wines, Rocky, Gray, Boak SPP etc etc on their home deck. They seem to be very strong inside and hopefully we can match them. I think Mundy will have to play on the ball and maybe it's time to release Crowden from the Peel shackles and dance in the big time.

We got smashed in contested ball last season and I feel we have changed it up big time going on yesterday's game. We have always gone with Sandi to Fyfe or Sandi to Neale if Fyfe has been out. This has worked a treat in the past with Fyfe winning the Brownlow in 2015 and Neale getting the possessions in the AFL in 2016 when Fyfe was out. This clearance strategy works fine when Sandi is dominant/playing and in simple maths if we cover the exits, block and defend everything other than Sandi hitting down to our dominant mid we should win more clearances than we lose. That said we need to think post Sandi era and yesterday Sandi and Meek seemed to tap to other players or try different things and we were a little less predictable. I think this is important for us moving forward and with Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Neale and SHill hopefully all being/becoming all A graders inside dominate contested ball players.

I could be reading into yesterday's game too much with Eagles pretty much having D grade midfield and having Nic Nat out. That said, I'm confident our midfield is going to one in the best in the AFL if Cerra and Brayshaw can match their hype.

Going into Round 1 it's a completely different ball game coming up against Ryder, Wines, Rocky, Gray, Boak SPP etc etc on their home deck. They seem to be very strong inside and hopefully we can match them. I think Mundy will have to play on the ball and maybe it's time to release Crowden from the Peel shackles and dance in the big time.
Gray will be sitting in the stands serving his one week suspension!

Taberner is so far ahead of Mccarthy and Kersten yet people still want to criticise his game and let the other two off without mention.

Tabs kicks two goals and misses one while McCarthy misses both of his shots. But Tabs' is the one with suspect kicking.

Tabs had more possessions, marks, contested marks and goals than Cam and Kersten combined. Basically beat them each in every stat. Clearly working alot harder.

McCarthy and Kersten are the two weak links in our forward line at the moment.

McCarthy and Kersten are too similar for mine. I reckon we can only afford to play one of them, especially when/if we try to fit big Darcy in there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy and Kersten are too similar for mine. I reckon we can only afford to play one of them, especially when/if we try to fit big Darcy in there too.
I think they need to make sure that they are productive even when not scoring. Decoy and defensive skills. Kersten went through the midfield a bit and looked OK.

I reckon LDU has at least as much talent (if not more) but I don't reckon he has the drive that Andy does. Looks more laconic on the field too.

LDU was a better underage footballer because talent. Think Andy will be better AFL player because of the mental stuff.

No doubt. AFL is more about mental willpower and intensity. Andy has both in spades. He is also very clean and has neat disposal to compliment these qualities.

very clever
now ,any idea?

For Logue? He was travelling beautifully in the preseason, then hurt his leg slightly and had a hand injury (according to a social media post). But there is no mention of him as being injured by the club, so it must have been very minor.

I think they need to make sure that they are productive even when not scoring. Decoy and defensive skills. Kersten went through the midfield a bit and looked OK.
I think Kersten in particular helped Tabs a lot yesterday, in both his pack marks he was blocking at least one opponent (assume McGovern) from getting into the contest to spoil or mark. He gave away a couple of frees later trying to do the same thing, but what he did will be invaluable for Tabs when we are playing teams with good interceptors like Tigers (Rance) and Essendon (Hurley) etc.

Definitely, but when you factor in Mundy potentially playing a similar role you can see why I'm a bit worried/intrigued about the balance of our forwardline.

Honestly, even after 3 praccie games and a only couple weeks out from the season I still have NFI how we're going to lineup up fwd. I'm relatively confident that all 4 of Tabs/McCarthy/Matera/Ballantyne are pencilled in at this stage, last two spots are very much up in the air atm. Which two out of Banfield/Kersten/Mundy/Darcy/Langdon/Grey/other are most complementary? Do we add a third tall or do we go all in on the mosquito fleet?

Then you factor in the possibility of Bennell playing at some stage and it gets even crazier.

Definitely, but when you factor in Mundy potentially playing a similar role you can see why I'm a bit worried/intrigued about the balance of our forwardline.

Honestly, even after 3 praccie games and a only couple weeks out from the season I still have NFI how we're going to lineup up fwd. I'm relatively confident that all 4 of Tabs/McCarthy/Matera/Ballantyne are pencilled in at this stage, last two spots are very much up in the air atm. Which two out of Banfield/Kersten/Mundy/Darcy/Langdon/Grey/other are most complementary? Do we add a third tall or do we go all in on the mosquito fleet?

Then you factor in the possibility of Bennell playing at some stage and it gets even crazier.
This is not a bad thing. Work in progress stuff.

Yesterday proved on how good the forward line and Midfield movement can be if everything is run correctly. I wont take too much shine off the win. But I will be realistic on 4 things.

1. I was still shocked that freo last year was ranked 17th in contested possessions. I am hoping we improve on that and at worst we are ranked 10th-12th in 2018.

2. Last 2 years we have averaged 73 points a game in 2016 and 72 points a game in 2017. So essentially 10.13.73 and 10.12.72 have been our last 2 averages. That needs to improve to at least 84-90 points a game if we have to make finals. Realistically we could be averaging 70 points a game or 10.10.70. If that's the case for the rebuilding year so be it. Realistically Freo will have some bad games kicking 5-8 goals. Other games we will kick 12-15 goals and grind out some wins along the season.

3. I think our defence will improve. Seeing Alex pearce run out the defensive 50 and kick well was a sight to behold. Him being 200 cm. He is one of the rare tall defenders in the league that is 200 cm and can handle some of the ruck/forwards in the comp such as Ben Brown, Josh Jenkins and Charlie Dixon. Johnson still has something left to offer in 2018. Hamling fully fit is in our best 22. Cox is another young KPD developing nicely too. We have a lot of small and medium sized defenders. Yes Ibbo is gone and Spurr is near the end. Wilson is playing well, Hughes I am hoping secures a spot.

4. The youth coming through. Ross Lyon gets bagged out for not playing youth. Last year that theory was chucked out the window. Cox, Darcy and Logue got around 10 games each. Nyhuis played 5 games as well. This year we have Brayshaw and cerra as top 5 picks. Meek and Jones are both rucks and both could get a debut game if Sandi breaks down again.. Banfield should be promoted off the rookie list.

For Logue? He was travelling beautifully in the preseason, then hurt his leg slightly and had a hand injury (according to a social media post). But there is no mention of him as being injured by the club, so it must have been very minor.
From memory, I thought the website injury update said Logue was listed as having a foot injury and estimated time TBA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back