Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do you mean by 'living situation'?

In terms of returning to Australia, the way that the state and federal governments, and the media, have behaved in 2020 has made me less likely to return.

You guys have been sold an absolute lemon.

And here's to hoping they don't pull a 'third wave' con job on you after summer. I'm expecting that they will.

Everything the government and media are telling you about 'how bad it is' in the rest of the world is a lie.

Oh yeah, I forgot you were one of those covid truthers. Carry on.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
All good in Sweden at the moment with the approach favoured by the types above. Almost more dead in a week than the entirety "killed" by the lockdown in Victoria and the economy in the toilet.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah I didn't really word that correctly, apologies. More just like, having only been out of the country for a short period of time (~2 years as opposed to a decade plus), would you prefer to be in a country like Australia during the pandemic because there are essentially no cases versus however the situation is like in your country? Or is it still pretty much life as normal over there?

Sorry, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey. And yeah obviously the pandemic will pass and all that. I guess I'm saying is there any envy or wish to be back home during this time, or have you sort of become detached from it all?
Nah not really, things didn’t change for me all that much besides cancelling a couple of trips. Summer we could still travel domestically and whilst we are in lockdown now, it’s snowing and in the negatives everyday so I don’t do heaps anyway. I’ve been able to work the whole time too.
I feel with how technology is today you don’t miss your mates and family as much, but I definitely miss a good south Melbourne dimmie

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
I will miss those wonderful Christmas markets this year though, every year i travel to Vienna, Budapest, Munich and Prague and really enjoy sampling the wine, food, beers and sometimes the snow. Been doing that for 15 years now. Lets hope next year is different and it's this mofo of a virus dies out in spring

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Yeah I didn't really word that correctly, apologies. More just like, having only been out of the country for a short period of time (~2 years as opposed to a decade plus), would you prefer to be in a country like Australia during the pandemic because there are essentially no cases versus however the situation is like in your country? Or is it still pretty much life as normal over there?

Sorry, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey. And yeah obviously the pandemic will pass and all that. I guess I'm saying is there any envy or wish to be back home during this time, or have you sort of become detached from it all?

I've been away for over a decade and have no intention of returning to Australia, but from my perspective I thought Australia went a little too hard and the cost might be a bit high economically. I'm talking Melbourne specifically I guess. States other than Vic and NSW seemed fine from the start. I think that lockdown and curfew was an overreach of the government. I am happy now seeing that cases are near non-existent right now but concerned some of the rules seem to have stayed in place and people still seem scared to get back to normal. The east has had a bit more trouble over here but I'm mostly happy with how my Province has handled things.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I will miss those wonderful Christmas markets this year though, every year i travel to Vienna, Budapest, Munich and Prague and really enjoy sampling the wine, food, beers and sometimes the snow. Been doing that for 15 years now. Lets hope next year is different and it's this mofo of a virus dies out in spring

I experienced it last year and depression is starting to kick in thinking about it now.

Definitely something I want to do again in the next few years.

Whats your favourite city for the Christmas experience?

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
I experienced it last year and depression is starting to kick in thinking about it now.

Definitely something I want to do again in the next few years.

Whats your favourite city for the Christmas experience?

I love Budapest! Personal choice but i have a thing for that city that makes me come back atleast twice a year. Yes there's always Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, Barcelona etc as tourist favourite, but for me Budapest has always me love at first sight lol. The lovely markets and then the ruin bars! call me old fashioned but i lovely walk down the Danube, staring at the the Pest side of the town, thinking about the painful history this city endured during the Nazi invasion where so many people jumped in the Danube to save themselves from the Nazis. Something about Budapest that makes me return every year! and of course you have the colours, sight and sounds of the lovely Christmas market, the warm wine, the cold beer on tap (usually no brands, it's family brewed beers, just heaven), having a warm pot of goulash (sp?) in that cold frozen evening, i have so many selfies over the years with my mates from all parts of the world, i am looking at them this year cause i am trapped indoors! next year...hopefully.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love Budapest! Personal choice but i have a thing for that city that makes me come back atleast twice a year.

That's a pretty good sell you have written. I was thinking about a German destination for Christmas next time but Budapest has a pretty good reputation from those that have visited in the last few years.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
That's a pretty good sell you have written. I was thinking about a German destination for Christmas next time but Budapest has a pretty good reputation from those that have visited in the last few years.

Germany and Netherlands is popular with Aussies, i hear so many Australians and Seppos there, it's a turn off to be honest. I go for the local experience, while many in Budapest are also foreigners, it's way less commercial than Barcelona, Amsterdam or Berlin. You get the odd AFL cap wearing bogan with a mullet even LOL. This year i wanted to visit the smaller towns/villages for the Christmas experience. Next year maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Germany and Netherlands is popular with Aussies, i hear so many Australians and Seppos there, it's a turn off to be honest. I go for the local experience, while many in Budapest are also foreigners, it's way less commercial than Barcelona, Amsterdam or Berlin. You get the odd AFL cap wearing bogan with a mullet even LOL. This year i wanted to visit the smaller towns/villages for the Christmas experience. Next year maybe.

You don’t go to Berlin or Munich for a local experience. Even Hamburg seems to be gaining more aussies of late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
You don’t go to Berlin or Munich for a local experience. Even Hamburg seems to be gaining more aussies of late

A few markets in Berlin at the outskirts are for locals (vast majority), i have been to KultureBraurei where i have found very few foreigners, it's one of my favourites in Berlin for this reason, otherrwise it's full of Aussie. I tend to avoid Gendermarkt and Mitte like a plague.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
A few markets in Berlin at the outskirts are for locals (vast majority), i have been to KultureBraurei where i have found very few foreigners, it's one of my favourites in Berlin for this reason, otherrwise it's full of Aussie. I tend to avoid Gendermarkt and Mitte like a plague.

I’ve managed to avoid Berlin for all but 3 days of the last three years

JD234

Debutant
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Really thinking about moving elsewhere after next year. Lived a few years in the UK and loved it, and whilst being back has been fantastic (Seeing friends and family again, AFL footy ect.) I do feel like every day is the same and feel a bit lost with my life direction. I'm 27, no wife or kids, nothing really tying me down in Aus. I'm a highschool teacher and that opened the door to the UK the last time.

Any suggestions as to where I could move? Open to anything really.
I could go back to the UK,as I have the option to apply for an ancestry visa.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Any suggestions as to where I could move? Open to anything really.
I could go back to the UK,as I have the option to apply for an ancestry visa.
As an Aussie qualified teacher you won't have an issue getting a job most places. Would you be there long enough and dedicated enough to get into a new language?

JD234

Debutant
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
As an Aussie qualified teacher you won't have an issue getting a job most places. Would you be there long enough and dedicated enough to get into a new language?
Would definitely be open to it, although I guess it is a little more daunting.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm 27, no wife or kids, nothing really tying me down in Aus. I'm a highschool teacher and that opened the door to the UK the last time.
Get a CELTA etc. certification to teach English (~$3,000). Gives you more options and a full-time course only takes a month. Then it becomes a matter of where you want to travel and what options are available.

You're still young enough for working holiday programs so that's probably the easiest pathway where programs are offered.

I'd recommend a country that hasn't been a complete nanny state or implemented hard border closures like Japan.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Anyone planning on moving overseas post covid?

Yep. I'm giving myself 3 more years in Australia to see out commitments and which will probably be how long before we can travel again. After that I'm moving overseas, probably to Central/Eastern Europe somewhere to finish my career and then retire. I would prefer Slovenia or Croatia but Bulgaria has a retirement visa if you are self-funded so a lot easier to do. It's next to Greece so I can spend lots of time there. Bulgaria is also very cheap so renting out my house in Australia will give me enough money to live on without needing to dig into my super too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back