wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Eh, I know friends who live there who've escaped the Australian ghetto, though I imagine it's orders more difficult to do so than in other places.

It’s not about escaping the Australian ghetto, it’s the English speaking ghetto. You even get spoken to in shops in English first up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s not about escaping the Australian ghetto, it’s the English speaking ghetto. You even get spoken to in shops in English first up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even in English speaking countries, it's about meeting the locals. When I moved to the UK in the early 90s, a mate of mine told me "get out of London, you'll only meet other Australians." Good advice.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is a nice thread mostly because of the teamwork vibe there is. all individuals at different points accepting the toil. rare. instagram generally evokes that it's some amazing lifestyle but for most people it's isolation and unfair work.

This thread gives me that great travelling feeling. that trailblazing, that feeling of it's me against the world. you know when you've been working towards a trip for months, a year maybe, daydreaming about it. then it's the day, you drop your bags off, and then you're walking through the airport with just your backpack on. that feeling. it makes you feel proud of yourself. and like you're a rockstar.

I've long harboured the dream to live overseas and for a while it was a chance (freelancing) but that went to s**t.

I'm uni educated but haven't had permanent work in my life. every job I've had has been casual, freelance, or short-term contract. somehow I've eschewed the issues that could come of that. it's not especially unique either which is depressing. but the point is, things dont seem to be improving much in Australia.

Has anyone had any success whatsoever in trying to transfer those skills to the uk/europe? probably unlikely. plenty of highly intelligent young people with engineering degrees etc who work in hospitality or their own small businesses on the continent, while in the uk it seems heaps of people are just becoming teachers because - for now - it's the one industry they can get a gig in.

Is it possible to escape the malaise?

I get that these issues are just social ones now, not unique to just cities in Australia.

cheers.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Is it possible to escape the malaise?

You don't necessarily need to find a role that's a fit for your current skill set. A mate of mine who lived in Hamburg for a couple of years was a teacher here in Aus and ended up working in a hotel doing breakfast service while he was in Hamburg as it was easy enough work and allowed him to travel and enjoy life. Now he's back in Aus it's back into teaching without any issues around having a gap on the resume.

In terms of those who have moved abroad I doubt you'd find any who regret doing so (I certainly didn't) and worse case if you don't enjoy it you can always move back. Better to try and find out than wallow on what could have been.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
My issue is I can't really get work here. is it better anywhere else?

It depends on your definition of work. If you've got a UK visa you can walk into hospitality work. If you've got a visa elsewhere you can walk into an english teaching job with minimal credentials (TEFL rather than CELTA). I was working for a tech startup in Poland in customer support and there's plenty of others who have ended up in other jobs depending on where they're located and their qualifications.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It depends on your definition of work. If you've got a UK visa you can walk into hospitality work. If you've got a visa elsewhere you can walk into an english teaching job with minimal credentials (TEFL rather than CELTA). I was working for a tech startup in Poland in customer support and there's plenty of others who have ended up in other jobs depending on where they're located and their qualifications.
how'd you actually look for work? interviews etc?

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
how'd you actually look for work? interviews etc?
UK Pubs = got it through a mate, PM me if you're going down this route and I can put you in touch with people. you'll need a visa in advance
teaching english = apply in person or write to the language schools in advance. visa typically tied to your employment, one grants the other
Tech company = applied like a regular office job, went through interviews etc. visa typically tied to your employment, one grants the other

Even in English speaking countries, it's about meeting the locals. When I moved to the UK in the early 90s, a mate of mine told me "get out of London, you'll only meet other Australians." Good advice.
The reason you mostly meet other Aussies is because you're in the same boat. You're there for the same reasons, both looking to travel and make friends. It's far easier to bond. Whereas, meeting locals, they already have set groups of friends and lifestyles which is harder to break into. Not impossible, but a lot harder.

If you really want to make friends with locals, my advice would be to join a club ie. Rugby, Cricket etc. The majority of my non-Aussie friends in London came through joining a Rugby club.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The reason you mostly meet other Aussies is because you're in the same boat. You're there for the same reasons, both looking to travel and make friends. It's far easier to bond. Whereas, meeting locals, they already have set groups of friends and lifestyles which is harder to break into. Not impossible, but a lot harder.

If you really want to make friends with locals, my advice would be to join a club ie. Rugby, Cricket etc. The majority of my non-Aussie friends in London came through joining a Rugby club.

True, and it depends how long you plan to be there. I was moving there permanently (so I thought at the time) so wanted to have networks that weren't what I had here.

I made friends through work, a cricket club in Cambridge, the local allotment. You're right about it being harder to break into but it's worth it.

JD234

Debutant
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
True, and it depends how long you plan to be there. I was moving there permanently (so I thought at the time) so wanted to have networks that weren't what I had here.

I made friends through work, a cricket club in Cambridge, the local allotment. You're right about it being harder to break into but it's worth it.
Agree that you can get caught up with the aussie crowd, but doesn't hurt to have a few friends who will be going through the same things you are.
Work was my biggest asset in terms of meeting local people, with a few of them turning into life long friends.

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Why? Family decision
Where? UK
How long did you last? Still here since 2018
Regrets? None but still miss Perth.
Good move? Yes, now married with a daughter
Difficult etc etc To begin with yes but I got into it eventually

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Agree. I joined a rugby club and cricket club when most of the other Aussies I knew were playing Aussie Rules. Problem was that I still was doing the continental travel as I knew I'd only be there two years, so didn't completely ingratiate myself in the footy club. But I was in my wife's home town, so already had a circle of friends to keep us busy.

But made a few friends through rugby and cricket.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've been overseas two years now.

Still 'love' Australia, but honestly, the world is a big place.

No plans to come back any time soon.
Ditto. The world is a big place and when you’re overseas you realise how far away Australia really is.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been overseas two years now.

Still 'love' Australia, but honestly, the world is a big place.

No plans to come back any time soon.
Ditto. The world is a big place and when you’re overseas you realise how far away Australia really is.

Serious question, has the way Australia handled the pandemic made you guys any less comfortable with your living situation right now? Or does it not really change your opinion?

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Serious question, has the way Australia handled the pandemic made you guys any less comfortable with your living situation right now? Or does it not really change your opinion?

Pandemic will pass, yes it's been quite uncomfortable for the past 9months or so, but for me it doesn't change anything. I left Australia almost a decade and a half ago and i don't miss anything outside of footy.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Do I wish I was back home during the pandemic?

Yeah I didn't really word that correctly, apologies. More just like, having only been out of the country for a short period of time (~2 years as opposed to a decade plus), would you prefer to be in a country like Australia during the pandemic because there are essentially no cases versus however the situation is like in your country? Or is it still pretty much life as normal over there?

Sorry, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey. And yeah obviously the pandemic will pass and all that. I guess I'm saying is there any envy or wish to be back home during this time, or have you sort of become detached from it all?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes but unavoidable. I am sick of hearing about it but wherever I go, whatever sport I watch, it's unavoidable though. Nowhere else will be different

The people here have also left a bad taste from panic buying bog roll in both March and November (people didn't learn the first time?) to seeing lunatics using gloves to push buttons on the bus and wearing masks alone in their cars. These aren't people I want to live around but it won't be better anywhere else. Idiots are rife

Am looking at 12 months away post covid though. Need some sort of escape. "could" do my job remotely so if that gets approved it'll make the decision easier to take off that's for sure. South America, eastern Europe or the US (for their sport, not their people lol)

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What do you mean by 'living situation'?

In terms of returning to Australia, the way that the state and federal governments, and the media, have behaved in 2020 has made me less likely to return.

You guys have been sold an absolute lemon.

And here's to hoping they don't pull a 'third wave' con job on you after summer. I'm expecting that they will.

Everything the government and media are telling you about 'how bad it is' in the rest of the world is a lie.

Last edited:
Back