Leaving Australia to live overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Been hearing a lot about expats coming back to Oz after some time away and struggling to find work, having to eventually resort to taking a pay cut and a demotion in role to get themselves employed in something.

Is this tall poppy syndrome at play?

Where did you hear that? It depends on what qualifications you have and which industry you work in I'd imagine. I had no problems with employment on moving back to Aus.

Yep. I'm giving myself 3 more years in Australia to see out commitments and which will probably be how long before we can travel again. After that I'm moving overseas, probably to Central/Eastern Europe somewhere to finish my career and then retire. I would prefer Slovenia or Croatia but Bulgaria has a retirement visa if you are self-funded so a lot easier to do. It's next to Greece so I can spend lots of time there. Bulgaria is also very cheap so renting out my house in Australia will give me enough money to live on without needing to dig into my super too much.

Awesome.

Really thinking about moving elsewhere after next year. Lived a few years in the UK and loved it, and whilst being back has been fantastic (Seeing friends and family again, AFL footy ect.) I do feel like every day is the same and feel a bit lost with my life direction. I'm 27, no wife or kids, nothing really tying me down in Aus. I'm a highschool teacher and that opened the door to the UK the last time.

Any suggestions as to where I could move? Open to anything really.
I could go back to the UK,as I have the option to apply for an ancestry visa.

27...no ties... go go go

forget the UK bro... mate your High School teacher go to an International School... live wherever u want and get payed well.

Teaching in England is s**t. s**t money, s**t kids and the most ridiculous work loads/ expectations in the word.

Yep. I'm giving myself 3 more years in Australia to see out commitments and which will probably be how long before we can travel again. After that I'm moving overseas, probably to Central/Eastern Europe somewhere to finish my career and then retire. I would prefer Slovenia or Croatia but Bulgaria has a retirement visa if you are self-funded so a lot easier to do. It's next to Greece so I can spend lots of time there. Bulgaria is also very cheap so renting out my house in Australia will give me enough money to live on without needing to dig into my super too much.

I have Swedish nationality through marriage and after living in Western and Northern Europe for 10 years, i moved to Bulgaria in 2012 (due to tax reasons) and i havent regretted my decision ever since. For me, the only difficult part is the language (as every damn document needs to be translated into Cyrillic) and the government beaurocracy. If you are ok with that life can be very good here, the beer is cheap, food is great, rents are low and thankfully not many Aussies and Seppos around either.

I have Swedish nationality through marriage and after living in Western and Northern Europe for 10 years, i moved to Bulgaria in 2012 (due to tax reasons) and i havent regretted my decision ever since. For me, the only difficult part is the language (as every damn document needs to be translated into Cyrillic) and the government beaurocracy. If you are ok with that life can be very good here, the beer is cheap, food is great, rents are low and thankfully not many Aussies and Seppos around either.

Have you traveled around Bulgaria much? I'll take a trip to Bulgaria as soon as I can to find out for myself but do you have a preference between Varna, Sunny Beach and Nessebar? Or any other cities or towns that you recommend?

I lived in Russia for four years so am familiar with government bureaucracy and the Cyrillic script.

Have you traveled around Bulgaria much? I'll take a trip to Bulgaria as soon as I can to find out for myself but do you have a preference between Varna, Sunny Beach and Nessebar? Or any other cities or towns that you recommend?

I lived in Russia for four years so am familiar with government bureaucracy and the Cyrillic script.

I have been everywhere in Bulgaria, the old Communist structures still fascinate me! I strongly suggest you avoid Sunny Beach, too many drunk German and English tourists in summer, it's pretty much a scam paradise and you will step on some vomit on the beach. Nessebar, Sozopol, Kiten are great and you have less tourists and lots of secluded white sand beaches nearby if you have a car it's easy to get to.

I personally prefer Plovdiv, Blagoevograd (for nature and history), Gabrovo due to it's very rich history and beautiful architecture. My personal favourite is Koprivshtitsa, they have preserved the towns history and it still looks how it looked 150 years ago the moment Bulgaria got liberted from the Ottomans, it's like a time machine! I came across Bulgaria accidentally and while i moved for business reasons, i fell in love with the culture, food and people here and i stayed back. You can always travel to Croatia, France, Spain Italy, Hungary in no time, Wizzair flights cost about 20 euros.

If you have lived in Russia, Bulgaria is Russia lite lol you won't have any problems here. Btw just don't mention Bulgarians use Russian fonts lol it's actually Bulgarian as father Cyril was Bulgarian lol being a naive Aussie i dropped the bombshell a few times when i was new here, people roll eyes quite often lol

I have been everywhere in Bulgaria, the old Communist structures still fascinate me! I strongly suggest you avoid Sunny Beach, too many drunk German and English tourists in summer, it's pretty much a scam paradise and you will step on some vomit on the beach. Nessebar, Sozopol, Kiten are great and you have less tourists and lots of secluded white sand beaches nearby if you have a car it's easy to get to.

I personally prefer Plovdiv, Blagoevograd (for nature and history), Gabrovo due to it's very rich history and beautiful architecture. My personal favourite is Koprivshtitsa, they have preserved the towns history and it still looks how it looked 150 years ago the moment Bulgaria got liberted from the Ottomans, it's like a time machine! I came across Bulgaria accidentally and while i moved for business reasons, i fell in love with the culture, food and people here and i stayed back. You can always travel to Croatia, France, Spain Italy, Hungary in no time, Wizzair flights cost about 20 euros.

If you have lived in Russia, Bulgaria is Russia lite lol you won't have any problems here. Btw just don't mention Bulgarians use Russian fonts lol it's actually Bulgarian as father Cyril was Bulgarian lol being a naive Aussie i dropped the bombshell a few times when i was new here, people roll eyes quite often lol

Just from Googling Koprivshtitsa it looks a lot like Sighisoara in Romania which I loved.

27...no ties... go go go

forget the UK bro... mate your High School teacher go to an International School... live wherever u want and get payed well.

Teaching in England is sh*t. sh*t money, sh*t kids and the most ridiculous work loads/ expectations in the word.
Thanks for your reply. Have heard mixed reports about international schools, really high expectations and standards which meant they were spending so much extra time focusing on school.

I guess it is all awhile off from happening anyway unfortunately, so much risk involved with the unknown of how this Covid situation will play out!
Have been thinking about moving to Alice Springs or Darwin next year instead.

Where did you hear that? It depends on what qualifications you have and which industry you work in I'd imagine. I had no problems with employment on moving back to Aus.
Yeah I agree, I'd say every circumstance is different.

It could even end up being a positive.

Yeah I agree, I'd say every circumstance is different.

It could even end up being a positive.

It would be a damn shame if you didn't go abroad because you were worried about job prospects when you get back. That's like not getting into a relationship because you're worried about the prospect of breaking up.

I think living and working overseas looks very good on a resume, When I was struggling to even get replies applying for jobs years ago someone told me to lie and say I worked overseas and later that week a got 2 phone calls for an interview.

I'm researching properties in Bulgaria and It seems that it's much cheaper to buy a house than an apartment. Is this the case and if so why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm researching properties in Bulgaria and It seems that it's much cheaper to buy a house than an apartment. Is this the case and if so why?

Where you looking in Bulgaria? there are few houses in Sofia, mostly apartments. Most houses are outside of the city hence cheaper.

Where you looking in Bulgaria? there are few houses in Sofia, mostly apartments. Most houses are outside of the city hence cheaper.

Nowhere in particular. Just wanted to get a general idea of prices. I'll probably move to Sofia and rent for a year and travel around and see where I like then look at buying.

Nowhere in particular. Just wanted to get a general idea of prices. I'll probably move to Sofia and rent for a year and travel around and see where I like then look at buying.

Rents have gone up tremendously over the past 10 years, unfortunately too many Aussies here now too. When i first came, some 10 years ago i would see the occasional foreigner. Now, you get to hear the odd Bulgarian in the centre. Thanks to the foreigners, the prices are up.

Hit me up for a beer if you wish to. Happy to meet up!

I imagine I'm not the only expat thinking thank fu** I'm not in Australia in the last 18 months.

And the new tax rules have literally killed my desire of staying in Australia for more than 45 days unfortunately. Anyone who are in the high income category would not wish to pay Australian taxes. I pay 10% a year here, i am not changing this. Since Australia and Bulgaria have no double tax agreement.

And the new tax rules have literally killed my desire of staying in Australia for more than 45 days unfortunately. Anyone who are in the high income category would not wish to pay Australian taxes. I pay 10% a year here, i am not changing this. Since Australia and Bulgaria have no double tax agreement.

Is this proposed or going to happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back