Toast Lee Spurr retires

Remove this Banner Ad

btw i believe he has the highest winning percentage for a fremantle docker?
He did at one time.

Only two Freo Dockers have played 100+ (Freo) games and a winning percentage above 60:
Michael Barlow: 126 games; 78-1-47; 62.30%
Lee Spurr: 120 games: 72-1-47; 60.42%.

For 150+ game Dockers the leaders are:
Nat Fyfe: 151 games: 85-1-65; 56.62%
Hayden Ballantyne: 165 games: 92-1-72; 56.06%.

Well done Lee on a wonderful career.
Total professional, gave 100% every time he wore the Freo jumper, spilt more blood than a 1950's horror movie.

images
Just another day at the office.

images
Having a quiet word with Dusty.

images
Sharing a drink afterwards.

images
In action with his fiercest West Coast opponent.

Last edited:

If he was in form I actually feel he would’ve been a great lockdown defender for us this year, but obviously someone else needs the role.

He was fairly underrated by a lot on here and is partially the reason we had such a low points against tally from 2013-15. Will be missed!

If he was in form I actually feel he would’ve been a great lockdown defender for us this year, but obviously someone else needs the role.

He was fairly underrated by a lot on here and is partially the reason we had such a low points against tally from 2013-15. Will be missed!
Agreed. I believe he’s the one player/role we have yet to replace since those glory years. Ryan is a very promising player and good overhead but can’t shut down those small live wires down back.

All the best in your retirement Lee. Should be very proud of your career.

P.S Come back and play in QLD at some point.

Invaluable in his prime and for mine easily gets a spot in the back line of Freo's best ever team.

Loved the way he went about it and for all the fapping over Selwood and Hodge being fearless and tough this bloke was just as tough but did not get the media attention for it.

The diving backward mark in the middle of Kardinia Park to stop an advancing Travis Varcoe in the last qtr of the 2013 Prelim sums up his game beautifully.

Needs to be around the club in retirement and pass on his attitude to the younger lads. We need players to have Spurrs (and Ballas) competitive attitude.

Thanks for the service Spurr. Gave everything he had and always a good attitude. Don't remember him ever finishing a game without a black eye or blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute hardman down back in our golden years. I became his buddy because I didn't want him to be buddy-less for all he'd done for our club. Probably left more collective blood on footy fields than anyone else I can remember. He was an absolute champion and always gave his all for the club.

Thanks for your time Spurry! You're a bloody champion!

Always liked Lee Spurr. A terrific mature aged pick up who left no stone unturned.

As already mentioned that '13 QF in Geelong, he played an absolute blinder.

Got to love a genuinely hard player like Spurr. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

In other news the clubs formerly massive spend on bandages is being reallocated to other areas of need.

I've heard Elastoplast are keen to look at returning as a supplier after being absent from 2013 until now

You want brave? You'll find the definition under Lee Spurr. Not fancy, not flashy, certainly not fisty - just head over the ball, and fly for the mark knowing that most of the time you're gonna get crunched. The sort of guy that would have made his team mates walk that bit taller. He was immense for us in our most successful era, and it's good that he's announcing his retirement himself, rather than having it announced for him, or being delisted. That's the respect a guy like Spurry deserves.

I used to sit in Block 153 at Subi, on the wing near the interchange. Every time he would come jogging toward the bench with blood pouring down his face, my girlfriend and I would nod wryly and say, "it's just another day with a Lee-Spurr-special."

Thanks for being a purple warrior and a top bloke. :thumbsu::)

Magnificent career for someone who came to the level so late. May have started to become somewhat frustrating as a player in later years, but absolutely superb lockdown defender for many years, could never question his bravery, as his regular need to go off under the blood rule always showed. In completely unrelated news, the clubs spend on bandages etc will be cut for next season.
images
Sharing a drink afterwards
If not for Barra, that would be my absolute highlight of that game, that was quality

Merged the two toast threads together so there may be some continuity errors.

Spurry was one of my favourites during our golden run, tough as nails and never took a backwards step. saved our behinds on countless occasions with those wonderfully courageous intercept marks in defence. If only he'd had an extra yard of pace, would have been a genuinely great player imo

Seemed like a rare game where he wasn't sporting a head bandage too

Reliable tough defender and warrior . Sure made the backline better when he was fit and in it.

Much respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back