Strategy 2020 Hypothetical Trades – Left Field Trade Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Fyfe might have young Shai covered there mate

Maybe but Shai is rising and we do not have the budget for Fyfe at the moment anyway.

Bolton is very much wanted and a key to our team development and progression. We would have to be crazy to toss Shai aside!!

Shai is a part of our DNA and integral to our progression, we are not in the business of destroying the fabric that binds us at Tigerland!!

Fyfe to Richmond for Shai Bolton (WA boy) and their next two first round picks (15-18).

Freo won't contend with Fyfe there so give him a chance to win a flag and give their rebuild another shot in the arm..

Richmond are unstoppable for a couple of years. May win another 2-3 flags in four years.

Tiges should have some cash with Rance going.

The cost of Bolton & two first first rounders is too high considering Richmond hasn't had a Top 10 Draft pick since 2012 (Nick Vlaustin).

Richmond's 'Top Tier' midfield when fit is quite impressive (Cotchin, Prestia, Martin & Edwards), however I'm assuming you watched the Port Adelaide game and made an assumption on the midfield with 3/4 missing and Martin playing mostly forward.

The cost of Bolton & two first first rounders is too high considering Richmond hasn't had a Top 10 Draft pick since 2012 (Nick Vlaustin).

Richmond's 'Top Tier' midfield when fit is quite impressive (Cotchin, Prestia, Martin & Edwards), however I'm assuming you watched the Port Adelaide game and made an assumption on the midfield with 3/4 missing and Martin playing mostly forward.

We already have a superstar in Dusty.

If someone can show us how we can get another superstar without busting our team apart let us know.

Shai could be another future star in the years ahead. Why through the baby out with the bath water?

It makes far more sense for RFC to add a few complimentary pieces around our developing team possibly and simply go to the draft for the next big thing

No, I've watched more than one Richmond game in my life.

No, I've watched more than one Richmond game in my life.

Then give ONE good reason why Richmond would give up Shai Bolton and 2 First Round draft picks for a 29 year old Nat Fyfe?

Yeah
Bolton looks a gun and he's young too. If he continues this patch and finds some consistency, he'll be in richmond's top 5 fairly soon.
And i'm not sure Fyfe in for Bolton is the kick Richmond need to win a flag. If anything, Fyfe gets more out of it by getting himself a better guarantee of one.

speaking of top 10 picks - we'll give you ours for RCD and CCJ :)

Yeah
Bolton looks a gun and he's young too. If he continues this patch and finds some consistency, he'll be in richmond's top 5 fairly soon.
And i'm not sure Fyfe in for Bolton is the kick Richmond need to win a flag. If anything, Fyfe gets more out of it by getting himself a better guarantee of one.

speaking of top 10 picks - we'll give you ours for RCD and CCJ :)

Good try--- I doubt Richmond would let either RCD or CCJ go cheaply, even if they've barely played a Senior game between them.

It's pretty clear that Richmond are already developing the next generation of stars on our list without giving them games (yet).

Because he's a top 5 player in the game and you'll essentially guarantee yourself another flag or two.

...adding a star player to a club doesn’t guarantee additional flags.

The Richmond midfield already has a configuration that works for the club, especially when the first run team is available. Adding Fyfe to that mix wouldn’t necessarily improve the midfield by as much as you’re suggesting.

Wouldn’t expect a North Melbourne supporter you have any idea about what a good team looks like though.

I still think we need at least one more gun midfielder. Even though it won't happen how about:

Our 1st rounder plus Rioli for Dunkley. We may also have to throw some steak knives in.
Richmond get the inside beast they need.
Doggies get their fast pressure forward plus a 1st rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think we need at least one more gun midfielder. Even though it won't happen how about:

Our 1st rounder plus Rioli for Dunkley. We may also have to throw some steak knives in.
Richmond get the inside beast they need.
Doggies get their fast pressure forward plus a 1st rounder.
We wouldn't want a first rounder. To many kids already. Doubt you guys would part with rioli also given you're about to draft Jr.
If I were the dogs I'd be asking for 2 of bolton, caddy and stack

Zac Merrett for Clayton oliver
Melbourne get an outside midfielder who wins a lot of footy and has a relationship with Goodwin.
Essendon get an inside bid body mid which Melbourne have a surplus of.
Possible win win scenario

Would a team ever do a 2008 Boston Celtics? I don't think so, but it would make for a melty trade week on here.

The Celtics traded 7 players and two first round draft picks in order to get a 32 year old star and a 31 year old star to go with their 30 year old star. They won the 2007/08, made the finals twice and the playoffs for 5 years running after being garbage to that point. Interestingly they traded two of those guys in 2012 (at 36 and 35) and netted a stash of draft picks which kick started a rebuild.

But the premise is simple. Think Burton + a first round pick for Wingard, but on steroids. A couple of teams have two first round picks this year, Geelong have 3.

North - who everyone says should go down the rebuild path - could for example offer their two 2020 first round picks, their 2021 first round pick and Cam Zurhaar (22) to Freo in exchange for Nat Fyfe (29), Michael Walters (29) and Matt Taberner (27). It's not about the specifics, it's about the gamble. A big roll of the dice by North on 2021-23 and Freo effectively saying that they are 3-4+ years off. Doesn't have to be North, or Freo.

North + Fyfe and Walters with a foil for BBB would be a top 8 team, easily. Still have Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington, Tarrant, Polec etc. and some young players coming through. If it meant a flag you would absolutely cop starting again in the draft in 2-3 years time. But the idea of trading out young, valuable assets is almost foreign in the AFL.

Would a team ever do a 2008 Boston Celtics? I don't think so, but it would make for a melty trade week on here.

The Celtics traded 7 players and two first round draft picks in order to get a 32 year old star and a 31 year old star to go with their 30 year old star. They won the 2007/08, made the finals twice and the playoffs for 5 years running after being garbage to that point. Interestingly they traded two of those guys in 2012 (at 36 and 35) and netted a stash of draft picks which kick started a rebuild.

But the premise is simple. Think Burton + a first round pick for Wingard, but on steroids. A couple of teams have two first round picks this year, Geelong have 3.

North - who everyone says should go down the rebuild path - could for example offer their two 2020 first round picks, their 2021 first round pick and Cam Zurhaar (22) to Freo in exchange for Nat Fyfe (29), Michael Walters (29) and Matt Taberner (27). It's not about the specifics, it's about the gamble. A big roll of the dice by North on 2021-23 and Freo effectively saying that they are 3-4+ years off. Doesn't have to be North, or Freo.

North + Fyfe and Walters with a foil for BBB would be a top 8 team, easily. Still have Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington, Tarrant, Polec etc. and some young players coming through. If it meant a flag you would absolutely cop starting again in the draft in 2-3 years time. But the idea of trading out young, valuable assets is almost foreign in the AFL.
That trade looks more like the disastrous Celtics-Nets trade in 2013, would be North trading away their entire future for very short term gain.

That's the idea. Not the North failing thing, but a roll of the dice. You have to go all in or it's a nothing play.
It works in basketball as a 5 man court makes it easier for a star to influence the game. Aussie rules is just too big.

unless you went and bought a starting midfield, ruck, key forwards and key backs.

which no team in the league has the resources to trade for this many stars

AFL clubs are not like NBA franchises. If Freo were to do a trade like that it would be disastrous to the club as fans would abandon it in droves.

Walters and Fyfe are heart and soul players of the club and by trading them out there is no reason for interstate players like Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong to sign on if the club is happy enough to move on WA superstars.

I like the outside of the box thinking though.

Zach Merrett for Clayton Oliver was an interesting hypothetical floated on the Essendon board. Would be keen to hear Demon fans’ thoughts (although not sure they’d be too keen after Clarry’s performance last night).
\

No thanks, not putting Merrett down but no, just no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back