GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
in every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Dolphins Hurricanes-Terps
Thought this would liven things up. A genuine discussion (fingers crossed) about the sea-change in cinema and TV, of re-booting movies/shows and re-casting males to females, and creating Mary Sues, and the whole meta SJWism being pushed across more than telling good stories.

This video to start things off. Keep in mind, now a Black lesbian James Bond and Thor as a female. Plus there have been a bunch of movies of late where white males in the movie are the stupid/bad/evil/disgusting/etc types in the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
Well, the more recent choice of casting a black actress to play Ariel in a live adaption of The Little Mermaid was a bit of a disgrace. The character has always been written and portrayed as white and is based on Danish folklore. They even have a statue of a mermaid based on this tale in Copenhagen so it is pretty important to them, but that's not going to stop the Americans pushing identity politics for the sake of better representation for people of colour or whatever. Just write new and original stories for people of colour if you want better representation? Could you imagine the cries of racism if they cast Tiana as white in a live adaption of The Princess and the Frog?

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
Oct 11, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I dislike Hollywood's holier than thou attitude, but I can't agree with much of your OP.

Question - What's your issue with white men playing villains? Isn't that kind of more true to life?

Despite what action films in the 80s and 90s told us, the everyday villains aren't just foreigners and/or femme fatales. I mean, this is Hollywood; statistically, the majority of villains in the western world ARE white men.

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
Oct 11, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
On another note, I do agree that it'd be nice to see new stories and roles written for diverse actors/actresses.

It comes across as lazy to just create a sequel/reimagining of a film with people of colour or women (e.g. Ghostbusters), but I think that's just the general case with the never ending supply of sequels/reboots.

It's what makes films like Get Out, The Help, and Widows so great; they're new stories that happen to have diverse casts.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
in every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Dolphins Hurricanes-Terps
On another note, I do agree that it'd be nice to see new stories and roles written for diverse actors/actresses.

It comes across as lazy to just create a sequel/reimagining of a film with people of colour or women (e.g. Ghostbusters), but I think that's just the general case with the never ending supply of sequels/reboots.

It's what makes films like Get Out, The Help, and Widows so great; they're new stories that happen to have diverse casts.
totally agree here. no one would argue with diversity/etc if they were all new stories/characters.
but the recasting/rebooting/remaking with such an obvious agenda is what rubs off wrong, can only make a lot of people (including of diversity) aggravated.

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
technically its not a "Black lesbian James Bond", and youtube montages in any argument is always a red flag personally

The reboots are often dumb hollywood things (did we really need a new Ghosbusters or Oceans film, especially without the directors which made them worth watching), but you could say the same thing about countless other rehash schlock. Reboots really aren't worth getting all worked up about anyway, male or female, black or white, they'll likely struggle. At least the diversity angle signifies an attempt to do something different with it, otherwise what is the point?

The liberal back-slapping by white folk is certainly a bit much at times (the adulation of Black Panther & Crazy Rich Asians last year was embarrassing & johnny-come-lately), but the toxic male geek culture online (specifically Comic book films & Star Wars) is a lot more repulsive. They are basically identical to the Otaku in Japan, have a very narrow & fixed view of things which can be forced upon others. Their sense of creativity is nil. They aren't watching diversifying art cinema, or they perceive it in a certain way. Diversifying mainstream blockbusters is a bit necessary to confront them and shake off that white & nerdy stranglehold.

With that Mermaid thing, you could say exactly the same thing about the historical depiction of Jesus. Mermaids obviously have folklore in contextually cooler environments, but there is a logical sense for mermaids to be more tropical in appearance. Obviously North America disproportionally projects its own culture to a world which has largely never even seen an African American in the flesh, but most of us live in ethnically diverse areas and can take something away from those depictions.

White people are probably like a 1/5th of the world's population, and men & women are fairly equal in ratio. It makes sense for the screen to reflect the community that bit more, despite the cringey tokenism in practice at times. We're living through that adjustment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm about as leftie as they come these days, but the blatant 'girl-power' in modern TV and cinema does nothing for me really. How about writing great stories where the female is a strong protagonist for the right reasons, rather than replacing male roles with females to show girl-power, which I find a bit patronizing to women anyway. The classic example recently is that moment in Avengers Endgame where all the superhero ladies get together for a girl power moment in the battle. But why highlight it, why not just treat the female superheros the same as the male ones. Give them equal time. That's called equality.

Last edited:

Godchin

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Bree Larson told me not to watch Captain Marvel, so I didn't.

I'm not going to eat a s**t sandwich just because lefties hate themselves. I'm actually enjoying myself even though I'm told I'm triggered and fragile. I hope Trump wins in 2020 and the fun train keeps on rolling.

Ryz

Aug 26, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MMA
Is a female Thor the best example of demonstrating the point? No-one has seen a word of the script but are people aware of the comic that it's allegedly based on?. If being true to source material is the issue, then what is the problem?

Like most political discussion these days it seems like something people have jumped the gun over and lost their s**t over nothing.

HahnPremium

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ghostbusters remake a perfect example. What did it offer or try to offer?Nothing except laziness. Thinking pure gender reversal will cover over any attempt to creatively offer a fresh take.

spinynorman

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2014
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
It's true, cinema was far greater when it was apolitical, and you got the true classics such as The Grapes of Wrath, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men and Dr Strangelove, which were all careful to not give commentary or political messaging relevant to their times, and are loved today for this.

The film studios' primary aim is to make money. They've had an overdue realisation that audiences who aren't straight white men will be happy to see movies that aren't about straight white men. They're also keen on making endless remakes and sequels or adaptations of texts with large existing audiences, because they represent surer box office success than new and original properties.

If you want to change it, go support independent or world cinema. Go to the movies today and watch Parasite or Apollo 11 or anything but The Lion King and actively reject the current culture of cash in remakes. There's great movies out there with strong leading female roles, and even more with strong leading male roles, so just go enjoy them. Or whinge, whatever. I'd easily take the 2010s in cinema over the 1980s though.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
If you want to change it, go support independent or world cinema. Go to the movies today and watch Parasite or Apollo 11 or anything but The Lion King and actively reject the current culture of cash in remakes. There's great movies out there with strong leading female roles, and even more with strong leading male roles, so just go enjoy them. Or whinge, whatever. I'd easily take the 2010s in cinema over the 1980s though.
I'm probably out of the loop, but where do you find access to independent or world cinema over the internet, legally?

Top Bottom