Movie Left-Wing Agenda in Cinema/TV

Elmer_Judd

#Teague2020
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
So it's not a James Bond movie any more? It's a new secret agent who is female and has taken over the 007 moniker. Beats me why any male Bond action fans or female fans of ripped blokes would want to watch this.
Don't presume to speak on my behalf. I would watch it, if it had a good actress and director involved
I also enjoyed the recent all female Ghostbusters movie, that was great fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fpcookie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
...insinuates impermanence?" Of course. Cultural Zeitgeist is a meme. Its transient like never before. Thats why we see trends and patterns in movies like never before. The cultural feast moves quickly these days my friend. A simple touchstroke. Echoed by bored millions.
The actual issue of diversity and its importance is crucial. For every child woman man to see possibilities rendered in a fantastical setting.
All I ask is there not be a lazyness and shortcut to deliver and embody an important tenet.
don't hold your breath :)

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't presume to speak on my behalf. I would watch it, if it had a good actress and director involved
I also enjoyed the recent all female Ghostbusters movie, that was great fun.
That's fine that you like the female Ghostbusters but it is widely acknowledged as a flop. Most fans of the original movie hated it. Sony turned a much loved light hearted comedy into a social message film. Message films by Hollywood corporations tend to be unwatchable. Sony also manipulated online comments to create a narrative of widespread misogyny, calling anyone who didn’t enthusiastically embrace their message film - sexist, Neanderthals, man-babies and basement dwellers etc.

A female James Bond movie would be a similar exercise in girrl power. Green lighted by agenda over artistic merit or financial viability.

How about movies are made with strong, interesting or funny female characters without copying male roles just because it is about role reversal and the social message?

Last edited:

Freshwater

Club Legend
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I too hate the left/right conservative/liberal antagonistic attitude put out mostly by the media and individually by ideologues. If we are healthy we actually seem to contradict these ‘pigeonholing’ cookie cutter versions of reality. And are seen to be ‘left’ on some issues and ‘right’ on others. And people shouldn’t be able to tell what view you have on this issue because you had a view on that one.
So made up fantasy type of movies can be easily go down the SJW route, especially anything from Disney/Marvel and it makes me want to throw up. But a movie supporting those ideals like ‘Hidden Figures’ can do way more by being subtle, true and beautiful.

bourbons

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's fine that you like the female Ghostbusters but it is widely acknowledged as a flop. Most fans of the original movie hated it. Sony turned a much loved light hearted comedy into a social message film. Message films by Hollywood corporations tend to be unwatchable. Sony also manipulated online comments to create a narrative of widespread misogyny, calling anyone who didn’t enthusiastically embrace their message film - sexist, Neanderthals, man-babies and basement dwellers etc.

A female James Bond movie would be a similar exercise in girrl power. Green lighted by agenda over artistic merit or financial viability.
I've only seen a bit of the new Ghostbusters on TV but I found it crap because it was just a bad movie, not becasue of any social message. The comedy wasn't funny to me and I didn't think the actors had much chemistry.

How about movies are made with strong. interesting or funny female characters without copying male roles just because it is about role reversal and the social message?
Easier said than done though. What did Speilberg or someone say - there are only 7 stories? Occasionally a truly original movie comes out but they're pretty few and far between, pretty much everything has been done already. I think that's a big part of this remake/reboot culture - everyone is so risk averse they figure if you're going to re-do something anyway, may as well attach the original name and hope to pick up some of the original fans.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
It's almost like Hollywood is on its last legs to an extent. Surely there'll come a point when the well dries up on the Marvel / DC type stuff and they've been beating a dead horse with franchises like Terminator etc enough already as well as dabbling in reboots, too. So perhaps inserting 'SJW' type tropes into films is a desperate sort of marketing strategy to sell films a bit more. I dunno? It seems to me the disparity between originality and finding ways to milk established brands and the likes seems to be widening with each passing year (Could probably include recycling the same "hot property" actors a lot). Guess I can only speak for myself when I say I keep becoming less and less interested in what's being released in cinemas over the last number of years. I just wonder if there is going to eventually be a breaking point in the stuff Hollywood is putting out and turning a profit. Perhaps its the shift towards streaming services that are having an impact on what Hollywood is producing...

Last edited:

bourbons

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It's almost like Hollywood is on its last legs to an extent. Surely there'll come a point when the well dries up on the Marvel / DC type stuff and they've been beating a dead horse with franchises like Terminator etc enough already as well as dabbling in reboots, too. So perhaps inserting 'SJW' type tropes into films is a desperate sort of marketing strategy to sell films a bit more. I dunno? It seems to me the disparity between originality and finding ways to milk established brands and the likes seems to be widening with each passing year (Could probably include recycling the same "hot property" actors a lot). Guess I can only speak for myself when I say I keep becoming less and less interested in what's being released in cinemas over the last number of years. I just wonder if there is going to eventually be a breaking point in the stuff Hollywood is putting out and turning a profit. Perhaps its the shift towards streaming services that are having an impact on what Hollywood is producing...
For sure. For me its also probably the getting older/family factor, but I watch a heap less movies than I used to, TV is where its at.

Pretty much only see big event movies now and again and the occasional indie if it looks interesting, and usually at home/streaming. Could count on one hand the amount of times I've been to a cinema over the last 2 years (Marvel, Star Wars, Tarantino), the stuff coming out on a week to week basis does nothing for me at all.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Ghostbusters wasn’t a ‘message movie’, it was an attempt to cash in on an established franchise at a time when the original cast were not available or interested. I didn’t watch it at the time due to little interest but eventually saw it. Not great but not nearly as bad as some people want to believe. It was a sign of soulless Hollywood, not left wing Hollywood.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Easier said than done though. What did Speilberg or someone say - there are only 7 stories? Occasionally a truly original movie comes out but they're pretty few and far between, pretty much everything has been done already. I think that's a big part of this remake/reboot culture - everyone is so risk averse they figure if you're going to re-do something anyway, may as well attach the original name and hope to pick up some of the original fans.
I disagree that everything has been done already. There are countless historical or biographical pieces that have not been touched. And it's a complete failure of writers if they can't come up with original fictional ideas. You are probably right that the studios are risk averse when financing a movie so choose to piggyback on a previous banker.

Coming back to Ghostbusters. They could have reprieved it with a male crew, or mixed. But they choose an all female team then attempted to exploit the criticism that arose because of that choice and conflate it with the criticism because the movie sucked. If the studio was aiming to cash in on the original they failed big time.

I suspect a Jane Bond 007 would suck for the same reasons. It's just an exploitation of a franchise with a sex role reversal. Write something original FFS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bostonian

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Meh, nothing compared to the video game industry I reckon. Thats legit out of control.
That's because the left didn't hold the majority of power there.

Added the fan base was already well established and organised so the push back is more forceful.

bourbons

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's because the left didn't hold the majority of power there.

Added the fan base was already well established and organised so the push back is more forceful.
Ya reckon? I'd say the vast majority of game industry is incredibly left leaning, the media who cover it certainly so.

Not sure which pushback you mean - from people sick of the over the top SJW stuff, or from 'the left' going after people who dare to make a sexist joke (for example)?

Bostonian

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Ya reckon? I'd say the vast majority of game industry is incredibly left leaning, the media who cover it certainly so.

Not sure which pushback you mean - from people sick of the over the top SJW stuff, or from 'the left' going after people who dare to make a sexist joke (for example)?
Don't let Twitter fool you.

Go and look how many followers/subscribers the most prominent left leaning gamer celebrity has then go look at PewDiePie.

They went after him and he got bigger.

bourbons

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Elmer_Judd

#Teague2020
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Oh geez. Who bloody cares. How is this 'left wing idealist propaganda ?

Someone like Marvel Creator Stan Lee was all about diversity and creating stories about outsiders and people who don't belong in accepted society.

Also there hasn't been a decent X-Men movie for years, couldn't hurt to mix up a rapidly stale formula a bit.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Someone like Marvel Creator Stan Lee was all about diversity and creating stories about outsiders and people who don't belong in accepted society.
It's amazing how some of the most strident 'fans' of certain properties fail to grasp the underlying meanings that have been there from the beginning. X-Men in particular is explicitly about minority groups and the fear and hatred they attract from others.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
Live from Here
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Roosters, Mets, West Ham, NY Giants
Remember when Teh Rite wanted effnics to act as white people because they don't see race.

Now it's "Fu** you travel back in time and start your own mass market junk to be in".

Last edited:

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's amazing how some of the most strident 'fans' of certain properties fail to grasp the underlying meanings that have been there from the beginning. X-Men in particular is explicitly about minority groups and the fear and hatred they attract from others.
The whole imaginary Marvel/X-Men trope of the friction between humans and super-humans is a conflation of a genuine threat to mankind because of creatures that have higher powers - and a fear of people who have a different colour skin.

Top Bottom