Movie Left-Wing Agenda in Cinema/TV

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I don't think it matters that he is black if 007 and James Bond are code names that are passed to new agents when the old ones are moved on, like M was. He's just the next cab off the rank.

Isn't M a code name and different characters move through the role, but James Bond 007 is supposed to be the same person? Same history, same personality, he's never died in any of the movies. I know it's odd that he's never aged and been played by different actors but that's what we are asked to believe.

Isn't M a code name and different characters move through the role, but James Bond 007 is supposed to be the same person? Same history, same personality, he's never died in any of the movies. I know it's odd that he's never aged and been played by different actors but that's what we are asked to believe.
I don't see why it can't be so, it would make sense why the world around him has changed and the enemies he faces have changed style.

The whole character could be a cover, he doesn't exactly have much depth outside of the scene with M in the church talking about orphan life.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It's amazing the some men can be so insecure that the addition of a few women and black people on screen drives them batty. The reason you find 100 white male superheroes fine and one female superhero 'SJW gone mad' is because you have been conditioned to believe that seeing yourself on screen is normal and everyone else is not normal. Maybe the 'different' people would like a chance to see themselves on screen. Stop feeling threatened; if Captain Marvel scares you, you can still watch Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Spider-Man.....................................................................................

Meh. For 50 odd years tv/movies mostly told women they were either housewives or damsels in distress, I don't really care if things have been unrealistically flipped over the last decade or so in the name of redressing some of the traditional imbalance. Effects my life not one iota and little girls get some superheroes that are more relatable.
My thoughts exactly.

You'd have to be a real piece of s**t to read that and not feel similarly.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I think calling it a left wing agenda is overkill though. I think it's just the movie studios recognise there's an audience for stronger female characters and it attracts more female viewers. The whole thing is about money, not pushing a political agenda.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's amazing the some men can be so insecure that the addition of a few women and black people on screen drives them batty. The reason you find 100 white male superheroes fine and one female superhero 'SJW gone mad' is because you have been conditioned to believe that seeing yourself on screen is normal and everyone else is not normal. Maybe the 'different' people would like a chance to see themselves on screen. Stop feeling threatened; if Captain Marvel scares you, you can still watch Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Spider-Man.....................................................................................

I'm fine with hollywood having diversity in movies just don't ram it down our throats just to get a message across

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Left wing agenda in entertainment media.
Right wing agenda in informative media.

Meh. For 50 odd years tv/movies mostly told women they were either housewives or damsels in distress, I don't really care if things have been unrealistically flipped over the last decade or so in the name of redressing some of the traditional imbalance. Effects my life not one iota and little girls get some superheroes that are more relatable.

source.gif

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It is not a “left wing” v “right wing” issue.

It is “liberal” v “conservative”.

It annoys me that these concepts keep getting mixed together.

Most Hollywood actors are very liberal in their views but many of them are pretty right wing in their politics.

Blame the Liberal Party for their name choice.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
It irritates me when it is claimed that fans cannot accept strong female characters, especially in the Sci-Fi, Action and Fantasy Genres. I find the opposite to be true, and for years strong, intelligent female characters seem to have been liked better by fans.

For example, in the original Star Wars movies fans liked Princess Leia, and she's a strong female character. They also seemed to like the feisty Jyn Erso from Rogue One. The much disliked Rey has these amazing but unexplained powers with the Force but little character depth and development. She's not what I would call a strong character.

In the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve, fans liked the strong willed Lois Lane, well played by the late Margot Kidder. They also liked Kryptonian supervillain Ursa, another strong female character. Let's look at the Indiana Jones movies in the 1980s. Tough Marion from Raiders of the Lost Ark was a fan favorite, and femme fatale Elsa from The Last Crusade was also a strong female character. But the silly and weak Willie Scott from Temple of Doom is almost universally despised by the fan base.

It's not just on the big screen, lets look at the classic series of Doctor Who from 1963-1989 and the female companions. Even in the early days of the show in the 1960s the reaction to strong female characters such as the intelligent and resourceful Barbara, feisty blonde action girl Polly and adventurous young genius Zoe was more positive than the reaction to damsel in distress companions such as Victoria. In the golden era of the show in the Pertwee/Baker years in the 1970s, we saw a procession of strong female characters. Liz Shaw was a stubborn genius, Jo started off a bit ditzy and naïve but she learned and even in her earlier stories was loyal and brave. Sarah Jane was a strong female character and still a favorite of many fans years later, tough Leila was a strong character as were both incarnations of Romana. In the 1980s Australian Tegan seems to be better remembered than other Davidson era companion Nyssa, and strong willed American Peri and action girl Ace are well liked in the later years of the show. But between Peri and Ace there was Mel, a screamer with little character development who was quite disliked by fans of the show.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It irritates me when it is claimed that fans cannot accept strong female characters, especially in the Sci-Fi, Action and Fantasy Genres. I find the opposite to be true, and for years strong, intelligent female characters seem to have been liked better by fans.

For example, in the original Star Wars movies fans liked Princess Leia, and she's a strong female character. They also seemed to like the feisty Jyn Erso from Rogue One. The much disliked Rey has these amazing but unexplained powers with the Force but little character depth and development. She's not what I would call a strong character.

In the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve, fans liked the strong willed Lois Lane, well played by the late Margot Kidder. They also liked Kryptonian supervillain Ursa, another strong female character. Let's look at the Indiana Jones movies in the 1980s. Tough Marion from Raiders of the Lost Ark was a fan favorite, and femme fatale Elsa from The Last Crusade was also a strong female character. But the silly and weak Willie Scott from Temple of Doom is almost universally despised by the fan base.

It's not just on the big screen, lets look at the classic series of Doctor Who from 1963-1989 and the female companions. Even in the early days of the show in the 1960s the reaction to strong female characters such as the intelligent and resourceful Barbara, feisty blonde action girl Polly and adventurous young genius Zoe was more positive than the reaction to damsel in distress companions such as Victoria. In the golden era of the show in the Pertwee/Baker years in the 1970s, we saw a procession of strong female characters. Liz Shaw was a stubborn genius, Jo started off a bit ditzy and naïve but she learned and even in her earlier stories was loyal and brave. Sarah Jane was a strong female character and still a favorite of many fans years later, tough Leila was a strong character as were both incarnations of Romana. In the 1980s Australian Tegan seems to be better remembered than other Davidson era companion Nyssa, and strong willed American Peri and action girl Ace are well liked in the later years of the show. But between Peri and Ace there was Mel, a screamer with little character development who was quite disliked by fans of the show.
youre %100 correct.
and what's going on in cinema/tv/comics these days is a transparent shallow agenda.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Cillian Murphy has refused the role of James Bond because as a proud Irishman he does not want people to think he is English. Come on Idris see how many ******* Incels you can p**s off - even more than when you appeared as a non Aryan in Asgard.

James Bond is white, it would be some moronic writing to flip him to a black man. Only morons would embrace such a change.

Having the 007 agent spot open up due to James Bond retiring is how to introduce a black agent of course. Why you'd want to do that though I have no idea. The whole concept is about James Bond.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
James Bond is white, it would be some moronic writing to flip him to a black man. Only morons would embrace such a change.

Having the 007 agent spot open up due to James Bond retiring is how to introduce a black agent of course. Why you'd want to do that though I have no idea. The whole concept is about James Bond.
yep, the Bond franchise was made for a white male, and other cultures converted the concept for their own race. Like Shaft, and theres probably a Korean one made in Korea. But imagine if Shaft suddenly became a bearded white dude.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Captain Marvel doesn't threaten anyone, it's just an utter poxy character that nobody liked in the comics.

So when average characters get pushed as being this super awesome thing over far better characters just because of their gender naturally people will push back.

If they had made a Scarlet Witch movie instead of CM I can assure you a great many of the people who don't like CM would have loved a well made SW movie. Same with Rogue.

It's not about putting great female characters into stories, it's about the lame as * ways they go about it.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't fathom how a major movie about Boudica has never been made.

It has all the hallmarks of a Braveheart like appeal about a real kick arse person with a kick arse story.

Yet we get all female Ghostbusters and black Little Mermaids instead.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
yep, the Bond franchise was made for a white male, and other cultures converted the concept for their own race. Like Shaft, and theres probably a Korean one made in Korea. But imagine if Shaft suddenly became a bearded white dude.
Just because a character was created to be white (at a time when 99.9 per cent of characters were white) doesn't mean it can't be changed. There is nothing quintessentially white about Bond; his character trait is his Englishness and anyone can be English. Whereas the key character trait of someone like Shaft is his African American culture and minority status. Getting bent out of shape by a black Bond seems rather childish.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Just because a character was created to be white (at a time when 99.9 per cent of characters were white) doesn't mean it can't be changed. There is nothing quintessentially white about Bond; his character trait is his Englishness and anyone can be English. Whereas the key character trait of someone like Shaft is his African American culture and minority status. Getting bent out of shape by a black Bond seems rather childish.

Except his whole family history from Scotland that goes back centuries.

Or are you saying there are no distinct white cultures to differentiate them from each other?

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Honestly couldn’t give a fork if male, female, black, white or anything else, as long as a story is good. I don’t think I fit the mould though as I’m about 10 Marvel movies out of touch, never a big Bond fan, haven’t watched any form of Ghostbusters since I was 10 or so, and am yet to watch Oceans 13, let alone Oceans 8.

The problem with the liberal rah rah clan is if you’re not one thing, you must be the other. Apparently I’m a fascistic white supremacist incel Nazi according to liberals...ok. Pandering and weak stories just don’t grab me. Superhero movies just don’t grab me. If I only wanted to see myself in films, I’m stuck watching Kevin James flix...no thanks.

Last edited:
Honestly couldn’t give a fork if male, female, black, white or anything else, as long as a story is good. I don’t think I fit the mould though as I’m about 10 Marvel movies out of touch, never a big Bond fan, haven’t watched any form of Ghostbusters since I was 10 or so, and am yet two watch Oceans 13, let alone Oceans 8.

The problem with the liberal rah rah clan is if you’re not one thing, you must be the other. Apparently I’m a fascistic white supremacist incel Nazi according to liberals...ok. Pandering and weak stories just don’t grab me. Superhero movies just don’t grab me. If I only wanted to see myself in films, I’m stuck watching Kevin James flix...no thanks.

The concept of "liberals" is fascinating and intrigues me. When I see the word I think about the liberal party. But more and more, due to the internet, we are adopting language and terms that the americans use. Which suggests left of centre. haha.

Anyway, if we are in the age of leftist cinema, what is/was the rightist age? And what examples of righty movies are there?

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Captain Marvel doesn't threaten anyone, it's just an utter poxy character that nobody liked in the comics.

So when average characters get pushed as being this super awesome thing over far better characters just because of their gender naturally people will push back.

If they had made a Scarlet Witch movie instead of CM I can assure you a great many of the people who don't like CM would have loved a well made SW movie. Same with Rogue.

It's not about putting great female characters into stories, it's about the lame as fu** ways they go about it.

Isn't that a comics issue more than a gender issue? ie. she was pushed as being super awesome coz of her powers, not coz she was a chick.

Character doesn't do anything for me either, by the way. Cookie cutter superman derivative.

Back