Movie Left-Wing Agenda in Cinema/TV

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The idea that multimillionaire studio owners are woke, leftie, SJWs and not capitalist money makers is hilarious.
I wish this fact would stop people from acting like corporate pandering is legitimate progressive activism (not a callout of anyone on here, just something I've observed. Mostly on the godforsaken wasteland of Facebook). It's kind of similar to how Christians feel obligated to pretend they like Christian rock and faith based films.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There’s always been films focused on agendas since day dot of film making.

Do you think Hollywood moguls would purposely make films to push a political agenda over making films that make them money. Isn’t it more likely that they are trying to make films that they think people want in order to make more money?
Random example would be films like the Power of One and Lethal Weapon 2 (I think) which pushed a hardline anti-apartheid agenda. I think the filmmakers legitimately had an issue with apartheid they wanted to communicate, but the funding for the films was likely due to the suits observing the way the wind of public opinion was blowing and looking to cash in.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Charlie Baltimore is one of the great female action heroes in a great action movie yet doesn’t seem to get the recognition she deserves IMHO

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
More females will go see their films if they are playing more prominent/powerful characters. Females are half the worlds population and have money too.

Do women really crave seeing women action heroes beating up bad guys (or girls)? Is this really a thing?

Do women really crave seeing women action heroes beating up bad guys (or girls)? Is this really a thing?
I think they enjoy seeing powerful women in a variety of ways. I doubt the majority have the same blood lust as men do though.

I've no doubt that they get sick of seeing women as largely being the victims though, and worse being the damsel in distress.

lefty weirdo women do, but normal women still like seeing an emotionally charged character who has a love interest, knight in shining armor
Jeepers mate. I wouldn't even now where to start with that statement. You may need to leave your basement (cave) once in a while.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The idea that multimillionaire studio owners are woke, leftie, SJWs and not capitalist money makers is hilarious.

Not all owners might be, but some of the morons they hire are.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
More females will go see their films if they are playing more prominent/powerful characters. Females are half the worlds population and have money too.

Sport has proven this line of thought is misguided.

Women make up half the nation's population but more women watch male sports than the female version even when provided with a choice.

The same goes for movies.

Men don't go to movies to see male empowered movies, just as a great many women don't give a toss about all this female empowerment movement and don't want to sit through movies like that.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Captain Marvel took in over $1 billion and is the 7th most successful Marvel movie.

Avengers:End Game featured a wide diversity of characters and is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Seems like people do go to movies with strong female characters. Who would have thunk it?

BTW UFC 193 (highest crowd ever for the company) was headlined by Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holm.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Captain Marvel took in over $1 billion and is the 7th most successful Marvel movie.

Avengers:End Game featured a wide diversity of characters and is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Seems like people do go to movies with strong female characters. Who would have thunk it?

BTW UFC 193 (highest crowd ever for the company) was headlined by Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holm.

Avengers Endgame was the culmination of a (19?) movie series. Captain Marvel was kinda shoe-horned in just before. As I said earlier, I am not a Marvel movie watcher, so I can’t comment much more than that.

I’ll re-phrase what I was asking. Women, traditionally, have not been the target audience of action movies. If given a choice, traditionally, women would prefer a drama or rom-com...broadly speaking. My question is, do women suddenly chose action films because it’s a female lead kicking ass? Is that the reason, traditionally, they have not been into this genre?

Again, I stress, I couldn’t care less who is the lead, male or female etc...just curious

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Since we're going on anecdote, my wife hates rom-coms and would much prefer an action movie or a horror or sci-fi, etc. Maybe it's the circles I move in but she's very much not alone in that choice among the females I know. So sure, there are women that love their rom-coms but there are plenty that don't. I don't think she really cares whether the lead is a male or female - which I think is the point.

And I go back a point I made originally - I don't think having a woman as a lead means the movie is targetted to women. Sheesh - I grew up watching Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman and there were plenty of males watching. It's a reflection of the society that we live in (well I see it that way) to show different people in different roles.

I'm also old enough to remember when DC introduced Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, El Dorado and Samurai to Challenge of the Superfriends to reflect the diversity of kids watching at the time. That was 1978 so this is hardly anything new.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I just don’t think that they are pushing a liberal agenda for political purposes. It’s all about the money.

I don't think this is true. At the Melbourne Supernova this year they did a poll of the audience asking which was their favourite Marvel movie. The girls voted for anything starring Chris Hemsworth. Margaret Pomeranz was supposedly high brow but always gave a higher score to movies with a handsome male lead who took his shirt off.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Two things.

Superhero movies have little resemblance to the real world. They rely on characters having supernatural powers that fluctuate hugely in power in order to create dramatic tension.

Recently we have recently seen movies depict tiny female characters destroying large male characters. Which is clearly unrealistic.

Combine the two and we see supernatural female kickass characters.

And? So what? Traditionally its been supernatural male kickass characters doing clearly unrealistic stuff. And female examples are still in the minority.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
kids can have opinions and thats fine, some of them precocious. but generally theyre opinions are still very nascent, theyre still in their formative years of thought, beliefs, understandings, experiences. why is it that only adults have an issue with this? because its a broad meaty topic and adults can analyze and incorporate other aspects of life as analogies.

I reckon its conditioning more than a greater capacity for analysis. Adults have been used to certain on-screen representations all their life, until recently.

Kids don't carry that conditioning so they don't see any issue.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the sticking point is the way it is done. Work hard and diligently and creatively to write more powerful female characters. Characters that stand on their own through powerful writing rather than a lazy means of a character having to verbalise constantly "I am a powerful female character".
Im exaggerrating a tad obviously and not saying its all like that but I think thats the crux of the matter.
Clever impactful writing of characters regardless of gender and not lazy writing using cliche obvious sentiments to make the differentiation.

Sure that would be ideal, just from an entertainment persepctive. But there are a million examples of poorly written male characters over the journey and it didn't generate this kinda discussion or pushback.

Sometimes sh1t movies are just sh1t movies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll re-phrase what I was asking. Women, traditionally, have not been the target audience of action movies. If given a choice, traditionally, women would prefer a drama or rom-com...broadly speaking. My question is, do women suddenly chose action films because it’s a female lead kicking ass? Is that the reason, traditionally, they have not been into this genre?

Thats kinda the point - traditionally, women would be marketed a drama or rom-com. Traditionally.

Studios have realised they're leaving a heap of cash on the table not making action/superhero movies that cater at least in some respect to women. Moreso than ever these days with the rise of nerd culture.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sure that would be ideal, just from an entertainment persepctive. But there are a million examples of poorly written male characters over the journey and it didn't generate this kinda discussion or pushback.

Sometimes sh1t movies are just sh1t movies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No argument s**t movies being just s**t movies. By poorly written I was alluding to lazy writing which dictates said female characters having to remind us every 5 minutes that they are powerful and female. Its a lazy short cut method and saving the hassle to having to develop a character further than just their gender. Its not that hard surely. Sarah Connor came off as pretty badass in the 80's without having to tell us every so often that she was girl power personified.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Batwoman trailer.

Lines from the trailer....

"the bat suit will be perfect when it fits a woman"

"im not gonna let a man take credit for a woman's work"

the dude's fiance would've preferred those lines being...

"the bat suit will be perfect when it fits me"

and

"im not gonna let batman take credit for my work"

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

That's when Rousey shut down the female journalist who tried to stir up some feminist crap.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
No argument s**t movies being just s**t movies. By poorly written I was alluding to lazy writing which dictates said female characters having to remind us every 5 minutes that they are powerful and female. Its a lazy short cut method and saving the hassle to having to develop a character further than just their gender. Its not that hard surely. Sarah Connor came off as pretty badass in the 80's without having to tell us every so often that she was girl power personified.

Something Ripley or Wonder Woman never need to do.

Back