Movie Left-Wing Agenda in Cinema/TV

Remove this Banner Ad

There are times it is a Left-Wing agenda, and times it isn't.

For example, having a female Ghostbusters could be considered an agenda.

But having a female protaginist isn't necessary PC if the movie is simply referencing the source material.

For example, in the "Hungry Games" series, the "Divergent" series, "Wonder Woman" and "Captain Marvel", the main hero is female. But this reflects the source material, so it isn't an agenda.

Changing out an established male character for a female one, or vice versa, or a white character for a black one, or vice versa, when the source material has it otherwise, is PC at its finest.

But if the color or gender of characters in the movie simply reflect the original source material, then it is okay.

The new Female lead in the James Bond franchise will not be called James Bond, just picking up the 007 moniker, much like the wonderful Judi Dench did as M.

Beats me so many unwashed man babies have a problem with this ...

Maybe they should have it as a "spin-off" series of movies, so that they can still keep having James Bond movies as well.

I think they should have introduced this woman spy in the last couple of James Bond films, and then have her spin off into her own series of movies, thereby satisfying both audiences, and fans will also have some sort of introduction to her, and decide if they like the character enough to follow her in her own set of movies.

The new Female lead in the James Bond franchise will not be called James Bond, just picking up the 007 moniker, much like the wonderful Judi Dench did as M.

Will she be called "Jamie Bond" ?

I think this also applies to the female Dr Who.

I don't have a problem with a female Dr Who, because, if Who can regenerate, why couldn't he regenerate into a she? Or into a black person, or an Asian person etc?

This plot device actually lends itself to re-inventing the character any way they want, as they have been kind of doing that for decades now anyway.

Disney for instance are bleeding.

Not because of any SJW leaning.

They are bleeding because they are investing a lot in Disney+ streaming service, new content like the Star Wars show they are making (and a lot of other expensive material), merging Fox studios into their own divisions - most of Fox's leftovers that have hit cinema have been bombs, lower attendances at their theme parks, the expensive production they've acquired for Avatar 2-5, opening and upgrading the Starwards part of Disneyland. While they enjoy high success with their films, which are highly profitable - most have blitzed their budgets + marketing break evens, even accounting for 0.25 China gross take.

Blaming them being too left wing politically is pure tin foil, their movies are their most diversely cast and feminist product an the movie division is killing it - the rest of the company is the let down.

For the record, I do agree with some of your point - stop changing older movie franchises and making some bloody new ones for petes sake. It what we are desperately lacking, good new films that aren't some watered down sequels or reboots with completely unnecessary changes. You don't need to change the gender of the character if you're a capable film maker, it'd be much better for both the audience and for female writers if they created new ideas that might have been ignored in the past.

If they were so hell bent with Ghostbusters, why was it impossible for an idea to incorporate both groups? The original team could be their fathers teaching them as they are getting old and need to retire - you can have Chris Hemsworth be a family member too. I meant Bill Murray was in it, but as a completely new character.

So it's not a James Bond movie any more? It's a new secret agent who is female and has taken over the 007 moniker. Beats me why any male Bond action fans or female fans of ripped blokes would want to watch this.

I don't think there's any agenda, it's just that movies of the time will generally reflect society of the time. In any era, there's a bunch of mouth breathers that want to keep things how they used to be. They come along kicking and screaming or just get left behind, same as always.
I dont think there is a Left wing agenda.
Just an agenda to zap into the loud buzzing zeitgeist of the time. Whatever is topical, argued, flag waved or derided, as long as its big and loud in the public conciousness, movie makers will try to inject it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think there is a Left wing agenda.
Just an agenda to zap into the loud buzzing zeitgeist of the time. Whatever is topical, argued, flag waved or derided, as long as its big and loud in the public conciousness, movie makers will try to inject it in.
I don't think there's any injection at all. Calling it a zeitgeist insinuates impermanence.... well I suggest not holding your breath.
I personally think most of society has moved past acceptance on this topic and it's only a small minority hanging on to old times.

. Calling it a zeitgeist insinuates impermanence.... well I suggest not holding your breath.
I personally think most of society has moved past acceptance on this topic and it's only a small minority hanging on to old times.
...insinuates impermanence?" Of course. Cultural Zeitgeist is a meme. Its transient like never before. Thats why we see trends and patterns in movies like never before. The cultural feast moves quickly these days my friend. A simple touchstroke. Echoed by bored millions.
The actual issue of diversity and its importance is crucial. For every child woman man to see possibilities rendered in a fantastical setting.
All I ask is there not be a lazyness and shortcut to deliver and embody an important tenet.

So it's not a James Bond movie any more? It's a new secret agent who is female and has taken over the 007 moniker. Beats me why any male Bond action fans or female fans of ripped blokes would want to watch this.

Don't presume to speak on my behalf. I would watch it, if it had a good actress and director involved
I also enjoyed the recent all female Ghostbusters movie, that was great fun.

...insinuates impermanence?" Of course. Cultural Zeitgeist is a meme. Its transient like never before. Thats why we see trends and patterns in movies like never before. The cultural feast moves quickly these days my friend. A simple touchstroke. Echoed by bored millions.
The actual issue of diversity and its importance is crucial. For every child woman man to see possibilities rendered in a fantastical setting.
All I ask is there not be a lazyness and shortcut to deliver and embody an important tenet.
don't hold your breath :)

Don't presume to speak on my behalf. I would watch it, if it had a good actress and director involved
I also enjoyed the recent all female Ghostbusters movie, that was great fun.

That's fine that you like the female Ghostbusters but it is widely acknowledged as a flop. Most fans of the original movie hated it. Sony turned a much loved light hearted comedy into a social message film. Message films by Hollywood corporations tend to be unwatchable. Sony also manipulated online comments to create a narrative of widespread misogyny, calling anyone who didn’t enthusiastically embrace their message film - sexist, Neanderthals, man-babies and basement dwellers etc.

A female James Bond movie would be a similar exercise in girrl power. Green lighted by agenda over artistic merit or financial viability.

How about movies are made with strong, interesting or funny female characters without copying male roles just because it is about role reversal and the social message?

Last edited:
I too hate the left/right conservative/liberal antagonistic attitude put out mostly by the media and individually by ideologues. If we are healthy we actually seem to contradict these ‘pigeonholing’ cookie cutter versions of reality. And are seen to be ‘left’ on some issues and ‘right’ on others. And people shouldn’t be able to tell what view you have on this issue because you had a view on that one.
So made up fantasy type of movies can be easily go down the SJW route, especially anything from Disney/Marvel and it makes me want to throw up. But a movie supporting those ideals like ‘Hidden Figures’ can do way more by being subtle, true and beautiful.

That's fine that you like the female Ghostbusters but it is widely acknowledged as a flop. Most fans of the original movie hated it. Sony turned a much loved light hearted comedy into a social message film. Message films by Hollywood corporations tend to be unwatchable. Sony also manipulated online comments to create a narrative of widespread misogyny, calling anyone who didn’t enthusiastically embrace their message film - sexist, Neanderthals, man-babies and basement dwellers etc.

A female James Bond movie would be a similar exercise in girrl power. Green lighted by agenda over artistic merit or financial viability.

I've only seen a bit of the new Ghostbusters on TV but I found it crap because it was just a bad movie, not becasue of any social message. The comedy wasn't funny to me and I didn't think the actors had much chemistry.

How about movies are made with strong. interesting or funny female characters without copying male roles just because it is about role reversal and the social message?

Easier said than done though. What did Speilberg or someone say - there are only 7 stories? Occasionally a truly original movie comes out but they're pretty few and far between, pretty much everything has been done already. I think that's a big part of this remake/reboot culture - everyone is so risk averse they figure if you're going to re-do something anyway, may as well attach the original name and hope to pick up some of the original fans.

It's almost like Hollywood is on its last legs to an extent. Surely there'll come a point when the well dries up on the Marvel / DC type stuff and they've been beating a dead horse with franchises like Terminator etc enough already as well as dabbling in reboots, too. So perhaps inserting 'SJW' type tropes into films is a desperate sort of marketing strategy to sell films a bit more. I dunno? It seems to me the disparity between originality and finding ways to milk established brands and the likes seems to be widening with each passing year (Could probably include recycling the same "hot property" actors a lot). Guess I can only speak for myself when I say I keep becoming less and less interested in what's being released in cinemas over the last number of years. I just wonder if there is going to eventually be a breaking point in the stuff Hollywood is putting out and turning a profit. Perhaps its the shift towards streaming services that are having an impact on what Hollywood is producing...
For sure. For me its also probably the getting older/family factor, but I watch a heap less movies than I used to, TV is where its at.

Pretty much only see big event movies now and again and the occasional indie if it looks interesting, and usually at home/streaming. Could count on one hand the amount of times I've been to a cinema over the last 2 years (Marvel, Star Wars, Tarantino), the stuff coming out on a week to week basis does nothing for me at all.

Ghostbusters wasn’t a ‘message movie’, it was an attempt to cash in on an established franchise at a time when the original cast were not available or interested. I didn’t watch it at the time due to little interest but eventually saw it. Not great but not nearly as bad as some people want to believe. It was a sign of soulless Hollywood, not left wing Hollywood.

Easier said than done though. What did Speilberg or someone say - there are only 7 stories? Occasionally a truly original movie comes out but they're pretty few and far between, pretty much everything has been done already. I think that's a big part of this remake/reboot culture - everyone is so risk averse they figure if you're going to re-do something anyway, may as well attach the original name and hope to pick up some of the original fans.

I disagree that everything has been done already. There are countless historical or biographical pieces that have not been touched. And it's a complete failure of writers if they can't come up with original fictional ideas. You are probably right that the studios are risk averse when financing a movie so choose to piggyback on a previous banker.

Coming back to Ghostbusters. They could have reprieved it with a male crew, or mixed. But they choose an all female team then attempted to exploit the criticism that arose because of that choice and conflate it with the criticism because the movie sucked. If the studio was aiming to cash in on the original they failed big time.

I suspect a Jane Bond 007 would suck for the same reasons. It's just an exploitation of a franchise with a sex role reversal. Write something original FFS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back