Legacy Esports results and news #LGCWIN

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone know what this is about? Seems weird, would mean that we want him out to eliminate his $350k salary from the books, but expect him to take equity instead of contract termination clause value whilst removing him from influence on profitability. Sanders, I think you'd have some understanding of this type of agreement. Seen something similar before?

Have heard Nigel Smart has been told clean out his desk in exchange for an Equity Stake in the E Sport stuff.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If they get out of the group stage I'll be legitimately impressed.

Still not sold on it being a good investment, but impressed at their performance.

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
Game 4 starting now. If we win, we have a rematch against Team Liquid to auto-qualify for groups. If we lose, we go into the 2-4 playoff.
Already overachieving, genuine chance to qualify for the next round at this point.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone know what this is about? Seems weird, would mean that we want him out to eliminate his $350k salary from the books, but expect him to take equity instead of contract termination clause value whilst removing him from influence on profitability. Sanders, I think you'd have some understanding of this type of agreement. Seen something similar before?

yeah, I’ve heard of it in a private equity, deep tech style environment

sounds a bit like - you wanted it so much, what’s the problem?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
They got absolutely destroyed by team liquid to get into the group stage, like Geelong/Port 2007 GF level of destroyed.

Which is to be expected.

As I've said repeatedly before, the quality of the OCE competitive scene is a long way back from the major regions.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would they not have even the tiniest AFC logo on their clothes?

I haven't followed this closely, but see that Essendon sold their team at the end of last year and that was 100% Bombers branded, of course, the team had to re-brand after selling.

This would mean there was no real value in the brand, just the license.

One reason I could see why they have avoided the Crows branding would be that the goal is to build a strong Australian esports brand that's not limited by AFL allegiances, giving them the flexibility to sell it at full value.

Likely the same reason we didn't rebrand the Bite/Giants as the Crows (at least I don't recall there being a logo or anything) I know Port supporters who support the Giants, not sure they'd stick with it if they had our name or logo and I don't think doing that would bring more baseball fans across to the football than it would turn off from the baseball.

Building the Giants brand gives them flexibility. I think the same would have happened if the 36ers thing worked out.

Bring "professional" (haha I guess) sports admin/management to smaller teams to increase their value.

I_Was_There

All Australian
Mar 28, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I haven't followed this closely, but see that Essendon sold their team at the end of last year and that was 100% Bombers branded, of course, the team had to re-brand after selling.

One reason I could see why they have avoided the Crows branding would be that the goal is to build a strong Australian esports brand that's not limited by AFL allegiances, giving them the flexibility to sell it at full value.

Likely the same reason we didn't rebrand the Bite/Giants as the Crows (at least I don't recall there being a logo or anything) I know Port supporters who support the Giants, not sure they'd stick with it if they had our name or logo and I don't think doing that would bring more baseball fans across to the football than it would turn off from the baseball.

Building the Giants brand gives them flexibility. I think the same would have happened if the 36ers thing worked out.

Bring "professional" (haha I guess) sports admin/management to smaller teams to increase their value.
Thanks for the detailed response

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

There was also the legacy (pun not intended) of the Giants being the Adelaide team in the original national competition in the 1990's. I remember the meltdown by some on here last year when the Bite rebranded as the Giants - people wondered why we didn't just rebrand as the Crows (ala Collingwood and GWS having sides in the netball comp), and why we were rebranding as the same name as an AFL competitor. If the Giants had rebranded as the Crows, then we would've alienated non-Crows supporting Giants fans.

There is no obvious Crows branding at Giants games. Closest I've seen was the BBQ using an AFC EFTPOS machine, and last season's purple jersey auction using an AFC registered site, so the transactions showed as coming from AFC.

The Thunderbirds in the late 2000's got sponsored by Port for a few seasons, but ended up rebranding due to the fan backlash from the heavy Power branding (and the very audible boos when they thanked Port for being a sponsor after the 2010 Grand Final).

If the e-sports side was too heavily Crows branded, it could/would limit the supporter reach for the side

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was also the legacy (pun not intended) of the Giants being the Adelaide team in the original national competition in the 1990's. I remember the meltdown by some on here last year when the Bite rebranded as the Giants - people wondered why we didn't just rebrand as the Crows (ala Collingwood and GWS having sides in the netball comp), and why we were rebranding as the same name as an AFL competitor. If the Giants had rebranded as the Crows, then we would've alienated non-Crows supporting Giants fans.

There is no obvious Crows branding at Giants games. Closest I've seen was the BBQ using an AFC EFTPOS machine, and last season's purple jersey auction using an AFC registered site, so the transactions showed as coming from AFC.

The Thunderbirds in the late 2000's got sponsored by Port for a few seasons, but ended up rebranding due to the fan backlash from the heavy Power branding (and the very audible boos when they thanked Port for being a sponsor after the 2010 Grand Final).

If the e-sports side was too heavily Crows branded, it could/would limit the supporter reach for the side

See I'm not entirely convinced there'd be much backlash.

As someone who has been heavily into esports and is still very much into AFL I haven't come across too much overlap between the fan bases.

But that's just my anecdotal experience.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Your not suggesting that the SA market has anything to do with the investment into e-sports. If it lives or dies by whether we keep PAFC footy fans engaged, then it's dead already.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Your not suggesting that the SA market has anything to do with the investment into e-sports. If it lives or dies by whether we keep PAFC footy fans engaged, then it's dead already.
I don't think it's that.

It's about growing equity in a e-sports focused brand, that we could potentially sell when the moment is right. If it had its own identity, then it can be worth something to people other than us.

Back